GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

It never rains but it slides.

Posted 04-05-2011 at 14:36 by spero525

Sooooo. What do you do when a neighbor comes to you and says, "I think I've got a problem. Last week my porch steps were even and now one side is 2" higher than the other."

You go look, of course.

At least, this is what I did, and in the two weeks that followed that initial observation, two inches became two feet. The hill above the house was (and is still) sliding--creeping--steadily downward, surrounding the house and threatening to take it along for the ride. An underground spring seems to be struggling with the incredible amount of water this area received over the last several months (it was the Wettest Winter of All Time, according to the locals), and the ground can't handle all the extra running water.

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind for this family as they evacuate their home and take measures to save it at the same time. Earth-moving machinery, water-diverting tactics, and lots of prayers later, the ground is still moving, but at least everyone is safe and they were afforded enough warning and time to rescue the contents of their home. That is more than a lot of people are given in a natural disaster, and they consider themselves blessed.

Once again I'm watching someone else in a life-altering event, marveling at their courage and fortitude as they work with what's been handed to them. I only hope that when my time comes to walk the valley of the shadow, I can do so with as much confidence and determination as I have seen in my neighbors these last 2 weeks.

~Spero
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2192 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Unfortunately people don't realize water...not earth, air or fire...is the most directly destructive force in nature.

I know their problems well. The past 3-4 years have been one of the wettest consecutive year patches in Wisconsin history. Several times last summer we got more rain in 2-3 days than we normally get in an entire summer.