GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

The Truth About Ballistol!

Posted 02-09-2013 at 07:11 by Arc Angel
Updated 02-20-2013 at 18:29 by Arc Angel

:thumbsup: Good thread with an excellent diversity of opinion (None of it, 'wrong')!

I love Ballistol; and, as for the smell, well ....... I could wear it as aftershave! Someone should add to this thread that Ballistol works best if you let it sit in the barrel for, at least, several hours before cleaning; and letting it sit in the bore overnight would be even better.

Yes, it's true! Ballistol is NOT a good long term storage treatment. Personally, I wouldn't coat gun metal with it for more than 90 to 120 days before wiping the gun down a second time. It can, and does, become, 'gummy' after sitting on a gun for an extended period of time. (70% rubbing alcohol is a perfect solvent for Ballistol residue.)

Two of the very best chemicals you can put on any polymer frame are Ballistol; or just plain, common ordinary, pharmacy-grade mineral oil (A principal ingredient in Ballistol). I swear my Glock frames seem to rejuvenate themselves whenever I wipe them down with Ballistol. There's a pint can of Ballistol sitting on my desk, right now; and I've got another quart of it on the shelf in the my old reloading room.

Has anyone mentioned that, although it does darken many of the lighter colors, Ballistol does an excellent job of softening and preserving: gun leather, sheaths, belts, and boots too! Another outstanding quality that shouldn't be overlooked is Ballistol's remarkable ability to properly clean up after using either a black powder firearm, or corrosive primers!

REFER: [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470361[/url]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3103 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »