Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

How To Fit A Hogue Handall On A Compact Frame Glock

Posted 02-25-2013 at 11:33 by Arc Angel

The #17000 Hogue Handall IS TOO LARGE for a Glock’s compact frame. You need to cut it to fit. If your Handall, also, presses up against the bottom of the magazine release when you’re done fitting it, and makes it harder to operate - GOOD! This, alone, makes it worth the cost and effort to install a Hogue Handall. (I’m about to tell you, ‘Why’ too!)

Know what? It takes more time to explain, ‘How’ to do this than it does to actually get the job done! It’s not hard at all. Does someone in your family own a 1500 watt, or better, hairdryer? Are you able to go to Wal-Mart and purchase a $2.00 bottle of pharmacy mineral oil? Do you own a pair of sharp scissors, or an X-Acto Knife, and a (12”) wooden ruler? These are the items that make installing a Hogue, #17000 Handall onto any compact frame Glock ridiculously easy. First:

DROP THE MAGAZINE; THEN, REMOVE IT AND ALL LIVE AMMUNITION FROM THE WORK AREA. MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS CLEAR!

Ideally you should remove the slide from the frame, and work only on the frame, alone - OK. To begin, be aware that there is actually a correct top, and bottom direction to a Handall. If you look at one side of a Handall you will see the word, ‘Hogue’ in one corner. THIS is the left side of the grip; and the word, ‘Hogue’ should be on the bottom - not the top.

Now, lay the Handall up against the side of your frame. Line it up IMMEDIATELY UNDERNEATH the magazine release. (It should butt, right up tight, against the bottom of the mag release.) Do you see any excess polymer hanging over the rear of your Glock’s frame? If you do, this is the part - and the correct amount - that needs to be removed.

I use a felt-tipped pen to mark the spot on the lower edge of the Handall where this edge is fully above the bottom of the Glock’s frame, and not protruding over it. Then I put a little, ‘hash mark’ onto the Handall right at this spot.

Next, I make note of the angle I need to cut at in order to keep the lower back edge of the Handall fully on the frame’s backstrap. I put another little hash mark here, too; and, then, I draw a line between the two hash marks, and use a pair of very sharp scissors to cut off the excess polymer along this line.

If you use an X-Acto knife you will need to compress the Handall underneath a heavy wooden ruler (or some such wooden straightedge). The final step is to use pharmacy mineral oil to liberally swab, both, the frame as well as the inside of the Hogue Handall.

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF OIL BECAUSE OTHER OILS ARE TOO LUBRICIOUS, AND WILL HOLD THEIR LUBRICITY. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN BECAUSE, IF IT DOES, YOUR HANDALL WILL CONTINUE TO SLIDE AROUND ON THE FRAME FOR MONTHS ON END.

Now plug in that hot air dryer and warm the Handall for between 20 and 30 seconds. When the polymer is warm to the touch it’s ready-to-go. Don’t overheat it; AND, you only need to warm the polymer no more than twice: Once before starting it on the frame, and again after it’s half way installed. Warm the polymer too much and you’ll cause the Handall to irreversibly stretch - OK!

Push the Handall onto the frame until it just touches the bottom of the magazine release. YOU WANT IT TO TOUCH THE BOTTOM OF THE MAGAZINE RELEASE! ‘Why’? Because of the little known fact that Glock magazine releases - across the entire product line - are all too weak, and prone to accidentally drop the magazine. (This has inadvertently happened to me, at least, 4 times in the past 10 years!) Now, line up the seams, even up the points on the finger grooves; and, voilà, you’re done!

Quite frankly, I believe that every polymer frame pistol should come with a Handall. Even if my own hands were in perfect physical condition, and not slightly arthritic, I would still use a Handall. :thumbsup:
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3290 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »