Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

How To Rapidly AND Accurately Fire A Pistol

Posted 03-27-2013 at 08:17 by Arc Angel
Updated 11-08-2013 at 04:29 by Arc Angel

[B]FIRST REPLY:[/B] All the dry firing in the world will NOT teach you the proper way to manipulate a Glock trigger. You need to use live ammunition. A typical beginner's drill goes something like this:

1. Go to the range, and work at 7.5 yards.

2. Aim at a large (B-27, or standard-size IDPA) target.

3. Take up the, 'front end slack' in the trigger.

4. PRESS through the trigger break.

5. While you're learning, hold the trigger to the rear of its limit-of-travel after the shot goes off. (Accuracy is not that important right now.)

6. Next move your trigger finger slightly forward until the trigger follows, and you experience a small, 'click'. The trigger is now reset!

7. Hold your trigger finger at the reset point and PRESS off another shot. Repeat the above procedure over and over again until you get it programmed into your autonomic reflexes.

8. When you get really good at this you'll know exactly how far to move your trigger finger forward in order to remain JUST AHEAD of the trigger's reset point. What you never want to do is, somehow, end up behind that point while you're attempting to repetitively firing your Glock.

9. With practice you should be able to take up the, 'front end slack', fire the pistol by pressing through to reset, and then repeatedly, 'bump' the trigger in order to fire repetitive shots.

10. A Glock does NOT have a 1911-type, easy let-off, single-action trigger; in time, though, you will get more than used to it. A, 'Ghost Rocket 3.5# Connector' can get rid of any overtravel for you.

[quote=Samuel_Hoggson;20119436]Thanks for the replies! Very good links.

I suspect the long 2nd stage is taxing my apparently limited discipline - I'm not quite staying with the sight picture all the way through till release. Maybe shooting the Glock will make me better with 1911s?

Sam[/quote]

[B]SECOND REPLY:[/B] I just read your last reply. Add this to the above trigger control regimen:

[COLOR="Red"][B]WHILE WORKING CLOSE, LOWER YOUR HOLD ON COM AND RAISE THE FRONT SIGHT UP UNTIL IT IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF THE REAR NOTCH. (IF THE SIGHTS ARE PERFECTLY LEVEL ACROSS THE TOP, THEN YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG - OK!) NOW, BEGIN WORKING THE TRIGGER. FIRE FOR GROUP. WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IS EVERYTHING HITTING INSIDE A 4 TO 6 INCH CIRCLE.[/B][/COLOR]

When you can do this as quickly as possible all the way out to 15 yards I'll be glad to shake your hand and call you a pistolero! :thumbsup:

[B]THIRD REPLY:[/B]

[quote=Clusterfrack;20120696]Hey Arc, can you expand on this? Why are you suggesting that he aim this way? Which of the sight alignments below are you assuming?

[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1562&pictureid=6401[/url] [/quote]

[COLOR="Red"][B]NONE![/B][/COLOR] The third picture is close to what I'm referring to; but, the front sight is, 'blotting the target' and is, therefore, too precise and too time consuming to use. Read what I said very carefully:

[quote=Arc Angel;20120417][COLOR="Red"][B]WHILE WORKING CLOSE, LOWER YOUR HOLD ON COM AND RAISE THE FRONT SIGHT UP UNTIL IT IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF THE REAR NOTCH. (IF THE SIGHTS ARE PERFECTLY LEVEL ACROSS THE TOP, THEN YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG - OK!) NOW, BEGIN WORKING THE TRIGGER. FIRE FOR GROUP. WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IS EVERYTHING HITTING INSIDE A 4 TO 6 INCH CIRCLE.[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

Next, look at these targets: The first one was fired at 16 1/2 yards with a G-21. The second one was fired at 10 yards with a G-19.

[URL]http://imageshack.us/a/img137/9513/1rapid16yardtargetcq6.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2377/zw8w.jpg[/URL]

Heres a final one, also, from 16 1/2 yards with a G-21.

[URL]http://imageshack.us/a/img547/147/31sh.jpg[/URL]

What I cant show you is the speed - the blistering speed - at which I fired all of these targets. When I fired the 16 1/2 yard targets a large group of police officers standing behind me began to applaud as I walked off the 16 yard line. (Which is one of the reasons, Why I kept the targets!) :supergrin:

[Color=Red][B]ITS A SIMPLE FACT THAT NOBODY - NOT EVEN JERRY MICULEK, HIMSELF - CAN FIRE THAT FAST AND CAREFULLY, NEST THE FRONT SIGHT ALL AT THE SAME TIME![/Color][/B]

Youve got to teach yourself, How to work the trigger at speed without taking time to carefully nest, or intimately watch, the front sight. Now, yes, I realize that the advice Im giving out is atypical of the way in which pistol shooting is usually (Read, always) taught; but, to quote Jerry Miculek, himself, [COLOR="Navy"][I]Im in a competitive business; and there are just some things that Ive got to keep to myself![/I][/COLOR] (Hes right; but Im an old man with a message that Id like to leave behind. Part of this message is highly palatable to other gunmen like myself; and part of the message is less so. Consequently, it is my hope that,

[Color=Red][B]IF, ON THE ONE HAND, THE QUALITY OF THE INFORMATION IM GIVING OUT HERE IS WORTHWHILE, VALID, AND TRUE, THEN IT SHOULD BE EASIER FOR PEOPLE WITH INTERESTS SIMILAR TO MY OWN TO ACCEPT THAT THE QUALITY OF THE OTHER INFORMATION I HAVE TO OFFER IS, ALSO, EQUALLY WORTHWHILE, VALID, AND TRUE.[/Color][/B]

This is the reason, Why Im gifting people with an opportunity to acquire pistol skills and techniques that took me years in order to discover for myself, and cost me many thousands of, both, fired rounds and dollars in order to learn how to do well. Enjoy the gift! (Maybe something else that Ive had to say might, also, prove equally useful to you. :dunno:

[quote=Samuel_Hoggson;20121126]Thanks, Arc. Will keep at it. I'm curious about raising the front sight out of the notch. I understand this will raise POI (hence holding below COM) but am not sure why this might help me. Would you explain? Sam[/quote]

In a word, [COLOR="Red"][B]TIME[/B][/COLOR]. (In a CQB pistol gunfight its a, luxury you cannot afford.) ;)

[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20121437&posted=1#post20121437[/url]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2904 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »