GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

How Many Safeties Does A Glock Pistol Really Have?

Posted 09-16-2013 at 08:45 by Arc Angel
Updated 12-10-2013 at 05:28 by Arc Angel

[B]QUESTION:[/B] ‘[COLOR="DarkRed"][I][B]I Dropped My Glock. Why Didn’t It Discharge?[/B][/I][/COLOR]’

I genuinely feel for you, Brother! A few years ago I had a similar incident happen to me, too. Whether or not a Glock will ND/AD depends upon a lot of different factors. (Many of which were revealed in the government's now well-known, 'Frisbee Tests'.) When your Glock fell it was - according to your report - 2 inches below the original government criterion of 36 inches required for a, 'safe fall' onto a hard surface.

Apparently there was, also, no spin on your Glock as it fell. From your report, at the time, the magazine was fully loaded; but (1) if that Glock had hit a hard surface, SQUARELY, on either end (front or back) you might not have been so lucky! (2) If that Glock had fallen sideways and was, also, spinning when it hit that concrete floor, again, you might not have been so lucky; and Glock's so-called, 'three safeties' (The, ‘Safe Trigger’ mechanism) might not have done the job for you.

The fact is that, over the past decade on Glock Talk, I've read about dozens and dozens of reports of dropped C-1 Glocks accidentally discharging - dozens and dozens! (Some of them quite informative and excellent in their details and impact; and all of them eventually, ‘scrubbed’.) I'm, also, able to state from my extensive experience in using and repairing both Glock pistols and other straight or modified, 'Browning lockup' designed pistols that:

[COLOR="Red"][B]THERE IS ONLY ONE PRINCIPAL SAFETY ON EVERY GLOCK PISTOL - ONE! IT IS THAT LITTLE LEVER IN THE MIDDLE OF A GLOCK TRIGGER'S FACE.[/B][/COLOR]

Forget the striker safety block. It is, actually, an ancillary instead of a primary pistol safety. The striker safety on a Glock is highly susceptible to what I will call, 'vibratory (or shock) release'; AND, if that happens, then, your Glock is likely to accidentally discharge.

Neither is Glock's, so-called, 'drop safety' a principal safety mechanism - Once again the, so-called, 'drop safety' performs a mainly ancillary function. It will NOT prevent your Glock from firing if it hits the ground hard - Contrary to both popular opinion and conventional, 'internet gun forum wisdom' all Glock's, so-called, 'drop safety' is going to do is to insure that:

[COLOR="red"][B]IF EVERYTHING ELSE FUNCTIONS AS IT SHOULD THEN AFTER BEING DROPPED, HARD, A GLOCK PISTOL WILL CONTINUE TO FIRE THE NEXT TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED! THAT’S IT![/B][/COLOR]

(Very few people are aware of this important Glock, 'striker firing system' mechanical idiosyncrasy! Why? you might wonder: Because what those dual wings on Glock's trigger bar actually do is to prevent the, 'sear plate' from becoming jammed behind the back of the striker lug whenever a Glock pistol falls, hard - THAT is, 'Why'.)

OK, confession time! The afternoon I tripped and the extended arm of a chair levered my C-1 Glock out of my ITB Blade-Tech (custom Kydex) holster remains as the most embarrassing incident of anything that has ever happened to me in over 55 years of using and carrying pistols! I had just come off an active firing line and instead of returning my pistol to C-3 for, 'community carry' as I usually do I put a fresh magazine into the Glock and let the slide snap shut - Thus charging the chamber. (Something I almost never do when I'm around town!)

How was I to know that my wife was going to call a few seconds later to ask me to stop at the supermarket to pick up a gallon of milk! It was while I was in that very crowded market that someone pushed a chair out of his way and into mine. Away I went! The arm of that chair managed to slip underneath my cover jacket, and levered my C-1 Glock out of what was usually a nice 'n tight ITB (but open-topped) compression fit holster!

Next, that Glock and me - still wearing my heavily patched NRA range jacket - went flying forward, headlong, onto the floor! Talk about feeling like a jerk! As I got back up on my feet and walked through the now awestruck crowd to retrieve my pistol, man, I felt like I wanted to crawl under a rock!

I was lucky, too! The pistol fell from a height of no more than 30 inches; there was no spin; and it fell straight forward, and out while falling, more or less, on its side. (I watched my Glock fall as if everything were happening in slow motion!) :shocked:

Is there a viable solution to preventing an accident like this from happening? Is there some way to, ‘absolutely guarantee’ that you’ll never have to totally rely upon Glock’s so-called, ‘three safeties’ for your continued personal well-being? Ahh, …… well, perhaps nothing is absolute; but Glock’s phony baloney, ‘Safe-Action’ trigger system CAN BE further stabilized in order to provide greater personal safety for BOTH you, yourself, as well as everyone else with whom you come into daily contact (like your family, friends, and fellow coworkers).

[COLOR="red"][B]GET A BETTER - PREFERABLY LOCKING - HOLSTER, AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT WELL![/B][/COLOR]

Here’s two, in my opinion, excellent choices for mainly civilian everyday carry:

(1) [url=http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm][B]Blackhawk SERPA CQC[/B][/url] with the button lock; or, perhaps, (and even better) a (2) [url=http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378][B]Safariland, 'ALS' Model[/B][/url] - Which is going to be my next EDC holster!

NOTE: For those of us who are longtime Glock owner/users it doesn't need to be said, and we take it for granted that the other guy knows what we know, too; but, I'm going to remind that:

[COLOR="Red"][B]YOU SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO CATCH A FALLING GLOCK! YES, IT'S SOMETHING OF, 'A CRAP SHOOT' BUT YOU'RE ALWAYS BETTER OFF IF YOU JUST LET THAT LOOSE GLOCK FALL ON ITS OWN - OK![/B][/COLOR] ;)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2339 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »