GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

This Mossberg 590 is the best shotgun I've ever owned (and the only).

Posted 11-25-2010 at 22:30 by Critias

Since I got back into shooting sports as an adult -- I was primarily an archery kid for a long time, and got into shooting comparatively recently -- I've had a gaping hole in my life. A dark, cavernous, maw. A terrible lacking. A sense of incompleteness, putting my entire gunpowder-soaked life off balance.

I had no shotgun!

I started with a Glock 19. My grandfather passed away and left me a couple hundred dollars, and while a part of me wanted to, y'know, pay my rent and stuff, another part of me wanted to get something worth remembering. My Grandpa Z was the one that let me shoot bb guns in the backyard, and as I was a young man living all on my own for the first time when he passed, I felt like a little home security might be the ticket. I decided to spend the money he left me on a firearm.

I got my G19 through a coworker's "new gun smell" affliction, in that he had a tendency to run out and buy whatever some gun-rag was hawking at any given time. He wanted a new Something-or-Another, I wanted a reliable first handgun, and I ended up turning into a Glock guy. I got a good deal, he got the money he needed to buy something new, and everyone won.

I got an SKS not long afterwards, because it seemed to me -- and it still does! -- that there aren't many better "bang for your buck" options out there, to a young man who's wanting to take shooting a little more seriously, wants a long gun to take to the range, and who's recently found Glocktalk (as I had at the time) and is concerned about the end of the world and related chaos and violence. Less than a year later, I got my Romanian AK, and the SKS just started gathering dust. Screw stripper clips, big fat magazines were a whole lot more fun at the shooting range, right?

But, alas, no shotgun. None!

Well, no more!

Earlier this week I traded in my SKS, and took home a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose, paying out $125 for the difference. I got $25 more for the SKS than what I bought it for, and the deal on their Mossie was too good to pass up; factoring in the Hogue foregrip and Tacstar sidesaddle, they were asking about half what the 590 would have cost me new...toss in the amount they were offering me for the SKS, and it was a done deal.

Now, before the purposefully entertaining hyperbole in my title line gets me into trouble, let me say I'm not necessarily a "Mossberg Guy" all of a sudden. Truth be told, I was leaning a little towards the Remington 870 side of the fence as I visited local gun stores, but in the end I don't think the choice will matter very much. The more I researched -- and history graduate studies aside, I'm just a research kind of guy -- the more I decided that in a lot of ways the Remington/Mossberg rivalry is kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. Some folks like one more than the other, but when you get right down to it the two have a whole lot more in common than they do splitting them apart. Folks will have a favorite, but in the end they both seem to do their job, and do it well.

So, here I sit. The proud owner of a Zombpocalypse-ready three gun arsenal -- Glock 19, Romanian AK, Mossberg 590 -- at long last. The trinity is complete! The triumvirate is mine! I'm finally equipped, at least nominally, to go humiliate myself at three gun competitions.

I'd like to grab some sort of light for the Mossie -- since, in a worst-case scenario, I'll use it to defend myself and my wife someday, and that might not happen at high noon in well-lit conditions -- but other than that I can't think of anything I want to add to it, right this second. The sidesaddle itself is an "extra" for me, but then I like to think I'm a keep it simple, stupid, kind of guy. A good light, and maybe some extra recoil help (depending on how my shoulder's doing after a range trip), and I think this puppy's about done.

In the (very) near future, I'd like to take my swanky new 12 gauge outside and shoot some stuff with it. I'm not sure that's a professional enough sounding plan of action to merit calling it a "range report" or "product review," but, hell, at least I'm honest about my intentions.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7770 Comments 6 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Dude, where the pics? Really.j/k.
    I'm a mossberg guy myself; I have a few; always looking for more!
    I think I need a stainless one!
  2. Old Comment
    I'm not sure if I really count as a "Mossberg guy" just yet, since it's not like I've owned anything else in order to make a comparison, y'know? I know that I sure like it so far, from having cleaned it, oiled it up a little, working the slide, etc, etc. I'm aching to take this puppy out and do some shooting!
  3. Old Comment

should of been w/us

at the range yesterday afternoon.
    two tables down these two guys decide to assasinate the ground w/a saiga.
    i guess. this is still America, right?
    my wife's nephew and i were shooting and then this happened, which brought the conversation around to shottys.
    he works at bass pro so he's around this stuff all evening(finishing up 2nd year;off to big school next fall!)and he tells me, heck yeah i bought a new gun; i'm around them at work every day!
    he's a better man than me; that would be torture.

OP-
    where are the pics?
    i only ask since there are so many variants now of the 590(as i see it).
  4. Old Comment
    I've owned the big 3 pumps; the Mossberg 590, Winchester 1300, and Remington 870. I would never fault anyone for owning and preferring one over the others. That said, I kept the Mossberg, and if forced to choose it would be the last gun I'd get rid of.

As to recoil, I can't praise the Knoxx stocks enough.
  5. Old Comment
    So if I am considering to buy my first shotgun I should get the Mossberg? Is the 590 the way to go?
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shmush View Comment
    So if I am considering to buy my first shotgun I should get the Mossberg? Is the 590 the way to go?
    Woah, hold on, here. I'm no guru. Hell, I'm probably one of the least gung-ho fellas here on GT, where making firearm recommendations is concerned. You'll have better luck asking that sort of thing over in the Tactical Shotguns sub-forum. That said? Personally, I'm of the opinion that almost any gun made from a reputable manufacturer is probably -- if it fits your hands and you like the look of it -- going to be just fine. Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 series strikes me an awful lot like the "Ford vs. Chevy" rivalry; they've both got their fans, but in the next they've probably got a whole lot more in common than otherwise.