Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Friends We've Never Met

Posted 12-05-2010 at 19:57 by GioaJack
Updated 12-05-2010 at 19:58 by GioaJack

[CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="6"]Friends We've Never Met[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Deep down inside, where we jealously guard our true feelings and speak of them only to ourselves in times of loneliness, emotional turmoil or great sadness, friends are what we covet. The need for a sympathetic ear, a nod of understanding, a voice of reason and enlightenment to a path of guidance are gifts that a true friend can provide and are as vital to our well being as the air we breath.

Some are fortunate, they are blessed with friends throughout life who are there to offer help with the unexpected challenges that are seemingly unconquerable while others, consciously or unconsciously, rebuke most friendships and rely instead on the few and far between.

The one common denominator among us is that we all have Friends We've Never Met. Friends whose names we'll probably never know, friends we'll never be able to emulate as much as the desire may burn inside us and friends to who we owe a debt that can never be repaid.

Few, very few of these friends walk among us, and all that do carry a burden we will never begin to fathom. Humility is their trademark, unassuming in stature or speech and the first to blanch at praise or adulation. Their demons are not those of mere mortals but rather of a special breed whose torments are revealed with quiet sobs in the mid of night when undeserved guilt questions their survival.

Common not by generation or geography, societal standing or years of age but rather by the unshakable morality of others before self. They acted neither for reward, recognition or thanks but rather because it was the right thing to do, the one thing that precious few have done before them.

As it is with the constellations in the sky, visible to all but recognized only by those who know the signs of significance, it is with those Friends We've Never Met. From Belleau, France; to the Battle of Guadalcanal; the Korean Chosin Reservoir; Kontum Provence in the Republic of Vietnam; to Mogadishu, Somalia and Ramadi, Iraq, they are distinguished by one undeniably rare display of public recognition... The Medal of Honor.

For few, very few, one might find the living recipient's Medal encased and unobtrusively displayed in a quiet place of the home. For many, far, far to many, the the recognition was bestowed upon family members accompanied by what may be the most dignified and honorable word in the english language... [B][I]posthumously.[/I][/B]

Be it for a father, son or brother the displayed Medal will hold it's place of honor next to a glass fronted, triangular wooden case holding a lovingly folded, sharp creased American flag that last rested on a hero's casket. It can only be hoped that the heart wrenching pain signified by those folded flags is somehow assuaged by the unimaginable pride of the accompanying Medal.

To these men we owe a debt that can never be repaid for we owe them everything we were, everything we are and everything we will ever be.

To them, their families and to those who will come after them we say thank you to the Friends We've Never Met.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5162 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Well said Jack, as always.
  2. Old Comment
    Jack keep them coming that was wonderfully written.
  3. Old Comment
    Beautiful, Jack. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

4. Old Comment
    Absolutely beautiful!
  5. Old Comment
    Jack, your words are beautiful the way you put them together. Thank you for sharing those sentiments.
  6. Old Comment
    There you go again Gio...speaking directly to the heart of the matter, as only you can. Thank you for caring.
    I am proud to call you [I]friend[/I].

Keep writing!

FloridaAngel
  7. Old Comment

Checking on you

How are you my friend? Checking in to see how you are feeling... Keep that incredible sense of humor intact and know that you are missed and appreciated! How are my mountains anyway? Missing the Rockies!

:innocent: Snook