GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

responsibility and restraint

Posted 04-03-2011 at 19:50 by Bill Powell

Had an odd little encounter this afternoon. My wife and decided to go to a movie and relax for a couple of hours. The theater was in extreme north Dallas, Tx, Plano, actually. We didn't decide to go til we were in a bit of rush to get there. We missed the theater and crossed the toll road into another shopping mall. We saw the theater and headed back out into traffic. On the way out of the parking lot we encountered a girl pushing a shopping cart up the right side of the road. We didn't encounter her, actually, we came up behind her. As we started around her the left she made an abrupt left right in front of us, no look-no nothing. We had to stop, never getting within ten feet of her. Evidently her husband took exception to it and chase us across the highway to the theater. While we were looking for a parking place he pulled u and cut us off, jumped out of his car and started yelling obscenities, and general being a jerk.

Two thoughts were in my head during this. One was that if this keeps up for long we'll miss the movie.

The other was the awesome responsibility of having an automatic pistol on you belt during an encounter such as that was.

I am a heart patient. and of a fairly advance age. So, if he had started swinging I could have, at the least threatened him, and at the worst shot him, of a stupid little argument.

My biggest upset was that my wife was sitting there, having to listen to it. She understood, but I don't have to like it.

I hadn't thought a lot about the pistol, other than as a last ditch defense against an out of control bad guy, not some dumb ass wanting to impress his wife. If you could have seen her face you would have known she was not impressed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2373 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    In that situation, go for the out.

"Sir, I'm sorry, I'm old and having chest pain, and my wife really needed to use the ladies room immediately, my sincere apologies for my hasty mistake. Please forgive an old man...."

Then move away if possible.

I always remember, while Texas laws allow me to use deadly force in multiple scenarios, even those which I would not personally choose to do so.......

The fact is that all homicides in Texas go to the grand jury. That's going to be more expensive than the deductible on any of my insurance policies.

I've seen more of my fair share of people shot, and have no curiosity about what it looks like.

I'll not shoot unless absolutely necessary, and only if pressed.