GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

NEED HELP! SHould i sell ak for AR?

Posted 05-18-2011 at 01:35 by WOLVERINES!!!

Im a 25 y/o cop in San Antonio and my wife is prego for a third time.......

Bottom line is i'm a rifle operator for the city and I work the real bad side of town, not the bad side.. the real bad side. I am also "that guy" that $&!+ always finds and if i get into a shooting with my long gun I loose it for about 2 years due to the civil suit because the guy i shot "was such a good boy". should i trade my real nice decked out ak for a stock AR im thinking RRA or bravo comp, colt or if its twins.... a bushy.
OR DO IJUST SUCK IT UP?
what would yall do?????
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5870 Comments 10 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old Comment
    ok i wasn't clear and assumed that every one works the west side and knows me(sincerly my bad). my issue is I can no longer afford to buy another ar due to the third kid coming with out selling something. I am contemplating the need for a second ar because if I get into a shooting with my long gun i'd loose mine. now i'd be cleared and back on duty with in a couple of weeks but due to the civil side im SOL as far as getting my weapon back for the next year or two and I really dont like the idea of being with out one on patrol for one or two years. i did it already while on probation and it was not a good feeling when the $%!+ hit the fan waiting for swat to show up. A pistol is great and is what i would use on a traffic stop or basic call but we get alot of gang bangers that barrecade them selves some where and i'm usually point man with my ar situation dictating. we run alot of dope warrants and a ak/sks/shotgun or mossin nagant are always invovled. i cant use a shot gun because im ar qualed not shoty qualed and the wait list is a year long and its a "who you know" game. so... should i trade my ak for a 2nd ar yay or nay?

please bare with me im on gt after my 10hr shift so if you have trouble following me its because my head is already done for the day
  2. Old Comment
    The folks aren't getting you or what you are asking. I would say ditch the AK and get a good AR for a back-up if you do get in the situation where they take your gun weapon and hold in property / evidence control for however long that may be. I find it weird that ya'll don't shoot a shotgun in your academy but every agency is different. We do not have a patrol rifle program in mine but every unit is equipped with a shotgun. I know money is tight and it sucks to part with weapons to buy another, but like I said ditch the AK get another AR with a decent optic and call it good. Good Luck Brother and congratulations on your third child!
  3. Old Comment
    That's a tough situation man. I'm not a cop, but my neigbor is an Arkansas State trooper and "Super cop". He's on the little rock swat team, is a swat trainer and teaches at the accademy. All of their equipment is provided by the state. Too bad yours isn't, that would make life a lot simpler. I would prbably go with whatever more of the officers in your area are using. If you ever needed extra ammo it would be more easily accessablethat way. Good luck with whatever you do and congrats on the new rug rat.
    Updated 05-19-2011 at 22:39 by bandmasterjf
  4. Old Comment
    I would pick the gun that would best fill the role. Who cares if it gets taken away if it saves your life?
  5. Old Comment
    Man...If you work in that area seems you should be armed by the force. Just my 2 cents as a citizen.

Also..what is the best AR? I have heard the Smith M&P is good. Also the Sig and the Colt, and the Stag Arms. I want to get one but keep hearing different things. Chromed barrel and bolt...etc. Any good advice out there?
  6. Old Comment
    Assuming you're a US citizen use a US rifle. Colt only. the rest are junk.
  7. Old Comment
    Streetking, funny you say that the rest are junk, when Colt themselves used CMT for awhile, and no one knew any different. Stag Arms also uses CMT. That is why I got a Stag, same quality, half the price.
    Posted 06-17-2011 at 04:37 by simmonsjeffreya simmonsjeffreya is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Wasco8, be careful of the S&W. Read around AR15.com and you will see that new ones aren't very consistent, one can be tight fitting and proper, the next loose. If you know what to look for and you love S&W, just keep your eyes out for a good one. They switched forgers from CMT to another company. CMT are the same forge that Colt used to use, and Stag currently uses. They are consistent quality, tight fitting as they should be.
    Posted 06-17-2011 at 04:40 by simmonsjeffreya simmonsjeffreya is offline
  9. Old Comment
    simmonsjeffreya, I am looking at a Daniel Defense DDM4 in mid length and carbine. Seem to have all the right stuff. I started a Blog with the specs and price. No one else has posted anything else yet. What do you think of the DD guns?
  10. Old Comment
    There is no way in tactical situtations that you are talking about being regularly involved in that I would go with an AK. I would want an M4 with an aimpoint no matter what. If you have to sell an Ak to do it then do it. At most surely you wouldn't need more than 2 nice setups. Seems it's what you jod requires and there is no substitute for an M4 in my honest opinion! Congrats on your child!