GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Open Carry LE Encounter

Posted 02-02-2012 at 22:12 by RussP
Updated 02-02-2012 at 22:14 by RussP

This thread, Open Carry LE Encounter illustrates how an initial story may not provide enough information to form an intelligent opinion on the event, and how when all the facts are revealed, people find their original impressions are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloLee View Post
I was pulled over on the way to a service call (Roadside assistance), 4 seperate violations:

-Speeding (5 over)
-No seatbelt (Automatic shoulder-belt with seperate lap-belt)

-Improper exhaust (Not my car)
-Altered suspension (Not my car)

Luckily, I was released from all 4 citations, due to it being someone else's vehicle, and because of the helpful nature and reputation of my company.

Also, my first time ever being pulled while carrying a firearm.
The only thing that made me nervous is when the Officer started removing all twenty rounds from my Glock 17.
I believe that there are situations where there is an extra penalty per bullet.
Got asked when/where/why I bought it, but no issues with it at all.

The officer also advised that I obtain my CHP, to "avoid this stuff later" (the thorough weapon-check?). Good man.

Moderator Note: This was moved from the Open Carry Stories sticky for discussion.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2542 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I am a certified firearms and personal protection instructor. I realize that the laws vary widely from state to state, and that is even true of states that are very pro-2nd amendment. Although 2 states have similar laws regarding the right to carry either open or concealed there are slight differences in their laws or their interpretation of their laws that may dictate widely different treatment of a motorist or passenger carrying a firearm, especially a handgun. So it's never appropriate to tell someone that a LOE taking possession of your weapon and safetying it during a stop is wrong, or that he/she is lying when they tell you a CHP will prevent it from happening in the future. And I would submit that any LEO who doesn't ask and take possession of the weapon during a stop is not a very professional or safety conscious individual. We had a LEO shot to death by the brother of a fellow (off duty) LEO recently - the shooter with his LEO brother when it happened. The dead officer didn't ask for the weapon. 33 yrs old, 2 beatiful little kids and a wife left alone because he didn't ask and take the gun...We should all avoid doing or saying anything that reflects poorly on gun owners in any way. To do otherwise just further jeopardizes our 2nd Amendment rights. Respectfully Submitted