GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

What does it take to own a Glock in Chicago?

Posted 01-26-2012 at 14:38 by CrookCounty

Well I finally did it...I jumped through all the hoops and it is now over.

Started my handgun registration on December 5th 2011 and today I got my approved registration in the mail.

Started Dec 5th when I sent in my FOID application, that took until 12/24/2011 to get back to me.

Went for my Chicago Firearms training on Jan 3rd 2012 and submitted my application for Chicago Permit on Jan 5th.

I got the Chicago Firearms permit back on Jan 13th and I submitted my Chicago Gun registration application on Jan 17th

Got the Approved gun registration today in the mail Jan 25 2012.

So from having no FOID card to getting fully approved and registered in the city of Chicago it took a total of 51 days including holidays and non-business days.

I know these are a lot of hoops to jump through but I wanted to be completely legal to bring my Glock to my house in Chicago and not have to worry if I am ever stopped. Jumping through hoops is better than going to jail.

SO...51 days...how much did it cost?

FOID-$10
Firearms Class-$115
Chicago Permit Fee-$100
Gun Registration Fee-$15
Gas-about $20
Time-about 8 hours total (So at my salary roughly $280)

So not including my time I spent $260 to get a handgun legal in Chicago.

Lets see...$260 vs 3 years in jail (Lost wages around $210,000 plus maybe $20K in court costs...so lets say $230,000 plus lost time with family, friends and dog. Plus having a criminal records.

YEP...I will never regret getting my Chicago Permit no matter what anyone inside or outside of IL says what a scam it is....the law is the law...DEAL WITH IT.

I am now a 100% legal Glock owner living in the city limits of Chicago, IL
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7665 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    And I thought it was hard to get a permit in Chicago. I live in NYC and it has cost me $495 just to apply for a permit and I put in my application on 6 September 2011 and I had my interview on the 5th of October and I am still waiting to hear. So much for speedy processing by the NYPD.

Go figure.
  2. Old Comment
    So what good is it, if you cant LEGALLY carry your GLOCK???For home defense, i would take grandpappys 12 gauge over a GLOCK anyday.
    Posted 03-06-2012 at 01:53 by American Infidel American Infidel is offline
  3. Old Comment
    What do you have to do if you wanted to take the Glock out of your home? Can you get a concealed carry license in IL? I applaud your tenacity to abide by the law. That only helps all of the rest of us.