GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Coping mechanisms?

Posted 04-23-2012 at 12:00 by RussP
Updated 04-23-2012 at 12:03 by RussP

Good thread for cops dealing with stress - advice from other cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
Okay, so had a pretty crappy week at work, and with the way things have been going in here, I guess my usual ability to sluff off the BS has been worn down pretty good. All this culminated in a very close friend of mine and I getting into an argument over a video regarding OIS's produced by a PD in Oregon. In the 17+ minute video, there are several dashcam snippets of OIS's.

My friend, a military combat veteran and generally supportive of LE, decided to berate me regarding a 4 or 5 second video that shows an officer shooting what appears to be a guy walking away. He went on to state that "all" cops do things like this, and that 99% of the police officers in the world need to get into a different line of work because "none of them can control their emotions." I tried to explain that while it may look bad, the video has exactly zero audio and is taken completely out of context, but was met with the argument that "obviously something happened off camera that pissed that cop off and he shot the guy in the back in retaliation." I mean, the logic IS inescapable...

Anyway, to my question: what kind of coping mechanisms do you guys use? Working out isn't cutting it for me right now, and obviously this little exchange has me questioning my friends. I have no family or nearby friends to confide in, and those friends I do have that I know I can count on, I don't want to keep bothering with this kind of foolishness.

I thought in light of recent events in LE in general, and this forum, it might be a good idea for some of those who might be willing to share some insight in how we deal with the garbage when you start getting it from all sides.

Sorry if this kind of thing has been posted before, and for the long post.
Posted in Law Enforcement
Views 1706 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Anyone not on the job will have a different viewpoint than someone dealing with it day in and day out. This may be why some LEO's get alienated from civilians..."they just don't understand" blah, blah, blah. You have a pretty good perception of what might have occured off camera and without sound. Your buddy doesn't. Chalk it up to him not walking in your shoes. I have to avoid talking shop with most folks because they just don't GET it.