GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

1. Old Comment

A Decade Later

Very nice tribute. I enjoyed reading that.
  2. Old Comment

On Motorcycles

That's a great story! I can relate, the wife and I have been through 46 states since 2004 on our Goldwing. Happy riding and remember to ride like your invisible.
  3. Old Comment

This Mossberg 590 is the best shotgun I've ever owned (and the only).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shmush View Comment
    So if I am considering to buy my first shotgun I should get the Mossberg? Is the 590 the way to go?
    Woah, hold on, here. I'm no guru. Hell, I'm probably one of the least gung-ho fellas here on GT, where making firearm recommendations is concerned. You'll have better luck asking that sort of thing over in the Tactical Shotguns sub-forum. That said? Personally, I'm of the opinion that almost any gun made from a reputable manufacturer is probably -- if it fits your hands and you like the look of it -- going to be just fine. Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 series strikes me an awful lot like the "Ford vs. Chevy" rivalry; they've both got their fans, but in the next they've probably got a whole lot more in common than otherwise.
  4. Old Comment

So if I am considering to buy my first shotgun I should get the Mossberg? Is the 590 the way to go?
  5. Old Comment

I've owned the big 3 pumps; the Mossberg 590, Winchester 1300, and Remington 870. I would never fault anyone for owning and preferring one over the others. That said, I kept the Mossberg, and if forced to choose it would be the last gun I'd get rid of.

As to recoil, I can't praise the Knoxx stocks enough.
  6. Old Comment

should of been w/us

at the range yesterday afternoon.
    two tables down these two guys decide to assasinate the ground w/a saiga.
    i guess. this is still America, right?
    my wife's nephew and i were shooting and then this happened, which brought the conversation around to shottys.
    he works at bass pro so he's around this stuff all evening(finishing up 2nd year;off to big school next fall!)and he tells me, heck yeah i bought a new gun; i'm around them at work every day!
    he's a better man than me; that would be torture.

OP-
    where are the pics?
    i only ask since there are so many variants now of the 590(as i see it).
  7. Old Comment

I'm not sure if I really count as a "Mossberg guy" just yet, since it's not like I've owned anything else in order to make a comparison, y'know? I know that I sure like it so far, from having cleaned it, oiled it up a little, working the slide, etc, etc. I'm aching to take this puppy out and do some shooting!
  8. Old Comment

On Motorcycles

So go get'cha one! *laughs* For my whole shebang -- motorcycle, helmet, jacket, MSF course, everything -- I was out about $2,000, and a weekend.

Now, that was me shopping around, buying used, etc, etc...but I've still gotten a heck of a lot out of that $2,000 investment, if you ask me. Insurance has been surprisingly reasonable, I've had a lot of fun, and it's making my commute to school use up about 1/3 the gas!
  9. Old Comment

On Motorcycles

Aww,shoot, now I want one
  10. Old Comment

Dude, where the pics? Really.j/k.
    I'm a mossberg guy myself; I have a few; always looking for more!
    I think I need a stainless one!
  11. Old Comment

On Motorcycles

Great stuff, Rusty, I really enjoyed that. Good on ya.
  12. Old Comment

On Pets, or, "Oops, I run a dog fighting ring."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RottnJP View Comment
    Ahh, the joys of dog ownership! ;-)
    On the bright side, since we took Ms. Venus off to the vet and got some woman-parts taken care of, she's gotten a lot better about it. They've only really had one real fight (instead of just dogs playing) since then.

Here's hoping our little terrier troublemaker will cool down even more as she matures a little bit, and gets out of the puppy phase entirely.
  13. Old Comment

On Freelancing, or "How I Became a Mercenary Writer"

I've been pleasantly surprised by the responses (some posts, some PMs, some comments here) to my blog so far, but this one's really shocked me. Out of all of 'em, this blog entry has the most views, and a couple comments, to boot!

I'm pretty excited about that, because in March I'm slated to give a little seminar type speech, at a local convention, All-Con. A good friend of mine's been involved in the convention management and we've visited the con several times, but he's been talking to me about trying to get some gaming going on, and I'm testing the waters by co-chairing a panel about writing for game companies, this year.

So the fact that a bunch of Glocktalkers are reading about how freelancing is working out for me is a good sign, because it means a bunch of geeks (who are actually into this stuff) should be even more interested.
  14. Old Comment

On Pets, or, "Oops, I run a dog fighting ring."

Ahh, the joys of dog ownership! ;-)
  15. Old Comment

That's pretty awesome. I used to read Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance from AD&D and had a few locally published short stories based in the Realms.
  16. Old Comment

I think I heard about that award at Bubb, but I can't remember for sure. Neat gig you've got going!
  17. Old Comment

You get PAID to write? Wow! I bet people would pay me to NOT write!

Great blog!
  18. Old Comment

On History.

I ran out of space in the above post, but still managed to convey my general, rambling, points fairly well. So studying history also teaches you how to be concise, I guess? Yeah, we'll go with that.

In other news, for those who might be curious about my current signature line (and I'm sure folks are losing sleep wondering what it's all about!), it's from a gentleman scholar named Marc Bloch, aka "The Last Great Frenchmen." Okay, he's not really known as that, I just made it up.

Bloch was Jew from an academic family in Paris. He was a Captain in World War One, earning the Legion d'honneur (a pretty big deal). The son of a historian, he went to university at Strasbourg, then became a professor of history, himself.

At the age of 52, when France mobilized for war, he took up his old rank and signed back up. Friends and family urged him to leave, instead -- the guy was French and Jewish, remember, so the Nazis weren't gonna be very nice -- and he replied "I was born in France, I have drunk the waters of her culture. I have made her past my own. I breathe freely only in her climate, and I have done my best, with others, to defend her interests."

Then, France dropped about as quick as the prom queen's panties, as you may recall. He wrote a history book (called "Strange Defeat," a fascinating read) about how swiftly France was overrun, and then this academic in his mid-fifties decided to start up and run a call of the French Resistance.

He got captured by the Vichy police and turned over to the Gestapo. In between torture sessions and fun crap like that, he wrote "The Historian's Craft," a book about the study of history, why it's important, and his own look at why it matters and how it should be approached. He was four chapters in (out of seven he proposed) when he was executed in June of 1944. He wrote the book, according to his own introduction to it, as a means of answering his young son's question from years earlier. "Daddy, what is the point of history?"

The guy lived a hell of a life, and wrote a hell of a book under one hell of a set of circumstances. My signature line is the last line of text in the book. It was an interrupted sentence in an interrupted paragraph of an interrupted chapter of an interrupted book...but it bears all that weight pretty well, I think.