GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Old

So, How'd Them Holidays Treat Ya?

Posted 12-30-2010 at 10:37 by Critias

Hope everyone's been having a good last couple of weeks, with their candle lighting, tree decorating, gift giving, dreidel spinning, or whatever else it is you've decided to do this winter (snow shoveling for many, I'm sure).

Mrs. Crit and I got our "big" gifts early (I got that Mossberg I talked about, she got a Dyson Animal Ball vacuum cleaner), because part of why we were buying 'em was to spend money on practical stuff for our home, as much as stuff for each other. ...
Freelancer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1927 Comments 0 Critias is offline Edit Tags
Old

Bill's stories

Posted 12-28-2010 at 06:44 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 12-28-2010 at 09:30 by Bill Powell

Some truck wrecks produce miracles.

In 1971 Vehicles Constructors Division (V-con) of Peerless Manufacturing of Dallas, Tx put a truck into service for testing. It was set up in the Pima Copper Mine, south of Tucson, Az.

For 1971 it was a pretty radical departure in truck design. The entire truck was built under the dump bed, with eight tires pretty evenly distributed under the truck. A 3000HP Alco locomotive engine/generator was hung transverse between the...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1971_vcon_3006_peerless_800.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	13  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1451 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

What ho, bloggers all!

Posted 12-27-2010 at 12:26 by spero525
Updated 12-27-2010 at 15:19 by spero525

I went for a walk yesterday afternoon, but what I thought would be a quiet and serene amble ended up turning into a power walk for the house when the light snow morphed into ice pellets. Running on icy ground is generally a bad idea, but walking through flying ice can be equally treacherous, I've decided. After slip sliding my way to the door, I shook myself off like a horse and re-entered my warm house with declarations of Not Doing That Again.

I'm new to snow. I didn't grow up with...
HE did it.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1383 Comments 0 spero525 is offline Edit Tags
Old

Cheat River Hill truck crash

Posted 12-27-2010 at 07:47 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 18:28 by Bill Powell

Go to Google and type in (youtube-cheat mountain road, west virginia) and click on the very first hit. It is a video. You can ride with me as I make my way down that hill with no air for my brakes, and driving to the scene of a hell of a crash.

This crash was made possible by a truck/trailer shop in Louisville, Ky who replaced a flexible line with a 3/4 inch copper tube. Copper tubing does not respond well to constant movement.

July 2nd, 1968 I was going west out...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2236 Comments 1 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

out with the old, M=52/in with the new, International

Posted 12-24-2010 at 17:21 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 18:33 by Bill Powell

When we put the Internationals in service and started driving them The adventure began. One thing you had to allow for was that the tractor was straight air brakes, and the trailers were air over hydraulic, so there was a delay between the truck brakes engaging and the trailer brakes engaging. Ass end of the tractor got a little twitchy.

Another little quirk the International had was cutting off guys' legs. Evidently the weld across the top of the windshield was not what it may...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1255 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags