Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Old

Memories of Las Vegas

Posted 01-20-2011 at 19:35 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

I've been the reports of the Shot Show in Las Vegas, and it brought to mind some of my own memories of the town.

I was at a truck stop on I15 and James Olmos sent an aide to find me. They had been told I had the best looking truck there. I met with Olmos and he told me they were starting a new show about city night life, and the premier show was to be about Las Vegas. They had me park at one of the fuel islands where they had their cameras set up. He started his monologue about...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1477 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

heavy weight athletics

Posted 01-14-2011 at 18:44 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-14-2011 at 18:46 by Bill Powell

390,000 lb single gainer.

I've spoken before of the Unit Rig trucks, and how they operate. The diesel electric, like a locomotive. As a safety there is a thing called over-speed braking in the event the truck exceeds the 32 mph speed specified for the truck. You can by-pass that speed, on a hill for instance, and go however fast you cojones will allow.

One day a haul truck driver, loaded with 170 tons of coal and feeling frisky, by-passed the over speed braking...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck accident.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	15  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2277 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Canadian Government designing trucks

Posted 01-11-2011 at 10:06 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

We had sold many trucks in Canada, we even had a truck manufacturing plant in Niagra, Ont.

A sub story: How we came to having a truck manufacturing plant in Niagra, Ont.

Kennecott Copper developed a copper mine in Chile, and after it was on line, Chile nationalized the property. Kennecott said, "Fine, we'll leave. Just pay us the 84 million dollars we spent developing this mine." Chile wondered who they thought they were. After all Chile was a country,...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lectrahaul.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	14  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1605 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Our police chief

Posted 01-07-2011 at 18:13 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

Our police chief, name of John W., was everything The small time police chief was not supposed to be. You've seen the movies where the fat assed chief was the total law in his town. The man answered to no one except his own conscience, which means he answered to no one.

I am aware of two of the people he killed while on duty. He carried a 1911 and he didn't hesitate to use it. One was a guy in custody. He said all he tried to do was quieten the guy down. When the main spring...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1409 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Bill's stories

Posted 12-28-2010 at 07:44 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 12-28-2010 at 10:30 by Bill Powell

Some truck wrecks produce miracles.

In 1971 Vehicles Constructors Division (V-con) of Peerless Manufacturing of Dallas, Tx put a truck into service for testing. It was set up in the Pima Copper Mine, south of Tucson, Az.

For 1971 it was a pretty radical departure in truck design. The entire truck was built under the dump bed, with eight tires pretty evenly distributed under the truck. A 3000HP Alco locomotive engine/generator was hung transverse between the...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1971_vcon_3006_peerless_800.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	13  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1605 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags