GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Old

Cheat River Hill truck crash

Posted 12-27-2010 at 08:47 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 19:28 by Bill Powell

Go to Google and type in (youtube-cheat mountain road, west virginia) and click on the very first hit. It is a video. You can ride with me as I make my way down that hill with no air for my brakes, and driving to the scene of a hell of a crash.

This crash was made possible by a truck/trailer shop in Louisville, Ky who replaced a flexible line with a 3/4 inch copper tube. Copper tubing does not respond well to constant movement.

July 2nd, 1968 I was going west out...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2481 Comments 1 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

out with the old, M=52/in with the new, International

Posted 12-24-2010 at 18:21 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 19:33 by Bill Powell

When we put the Internationals in service and started driving them The adventure began. One thing you had to allow for was that the tractor was straight air brakes, and the trailers were air over hydraulic, so there was a delay between the truck brakes engaging and the trailer brakes engaging. Ass end of the tractor got a little twitchy.

Another little quirk the International had was cutting off guys' legs. Evidently the weld across the top of the windshield was not what it may...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1359 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

out with the old, M52/in with the new, International

Posted 12-22-2010 at 09:03 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 19:35 by Bill Powell

When I was transferred to Germany in 1964 I was assigned to the 66th transportation company, of the 53rd trans btn, of the 37th transcom. The 66th was located in the Kapaun Barracks, Kaiserslautern. Being in the 37th transcom was as close as you could get to being in a civilian trucking company and still be in the military. You were assigned just the tractor, and no trailer. It was not uncommon for a company sized unit to run a 100,000 miles a month.

Now we come to what we were...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	id_m52_full_02.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	11   Click image for larger version

Name:	66th%20Trans%20Co%202.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	12  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3035 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Well, I thought it was funny

Posted 12-16-2010 at 14:51 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 12-17-2010 at 06:47 by Bill Powell

More accurately, I, we, or he thought it was funny.

The first one is a case of "he thought it was funny", and it was done by my co-worker and fairly good buddy named Ron Hope. Before I met him he worked for North American Rockwell.

The Boeing 747 wing spars were being built in the mid-west and were being shipped by rail to the Boing plant. Someone suggested they might fit in a 747 cargo plane, and Ron was assigned the task of doing a study of the subject....
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1619 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

My daughter the right winger

Posted 12-12-2010 at 17:49 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 19:37 by Bill Powell

When my daughter started school in Tulsa I had my first confrontation with the establishment. The first day she brought home a list of needed supplies that should have balanced the national budget. Everything you could possibly ever need for school work, up to and including paper for her graduation diploma, I don't know which one.

The item that caused the first confrontation was a box of crayons. I sent one of the 72 count boxes so she would have crayons for her entire school career....
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2516 Comments 1 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags