Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Old

Arizona in the fifties

Posted 12-01-2010 at 09:31 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

Arizona was a great place to grow up in the fifties. You had the freedom to be as stupid or as smart as you wanted to be as long as it wasn't illegal or if you didn't step on someone's toes. There weren't nearly as many things illegal then. One of my favorite shooting ranges was out my bedroom window.

Phoenix was about ninety miles away and often we would drive there for a coke. The round trip didn't take many hours out of your day cause you never encountered a stop light til...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1703 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Bill's stories

Posted 11-29-2010 at 09:43 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

When I was a small child in the dee south the family made their living by th' sweat o' th' brow, literally. They were into hard, backbreaking work, the main industries being pulp wood, logging, and digging and hauling pine stumps. During the rainy season they might not work for a week at a time cause the woods were too muddy for the trucks.

When my brother graduated high school in 1952 it was assumed he wood join the crew and become a wood cutter. My brother begged them to modernize,...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1726 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Swamp Thing

Posted 11-28-2010 at 09:03 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 19:46 by Bill Powell

I was born on a dark and stormy night and when I was born I was young, very young. So much for the Louis L'Amour style of writing.

I was born in Picayune, Miss. a depressing number of years ago. I have a few fleeting memories of the three to five year age. My first hard memories were of living on the old family homestead close to Oloh, Miss which is about halfway between Hattiesburg and Columbia. Our playground was in the swamps which were full of varmints and wild critters....
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2657 Comments 2 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags