Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Conversation Between lawman800 and SpitFyRRe
Showing Visitor Messages 41 to 50 of 91
  1. lawman800
    04-09-2009 20:52
    lawman800
    Glad you find the answers helpful. Did it makes sense though with all the legal minutiae that I tried to convey?

We have another tactical day with a local vendor and I signed up for a 300 round tactical pistol course. I figured I would get more use out of it than their tactical carbine course since I always have a pistol on me but not a carbine.

What I have done to drill my tactics into my head is to practice, practice, practice in the house or backyard. Use an unloaded weapon and drill what you would do in different scenarios. Walk around the house or yard and practice to automatically find cover as you load, reload, re-engage, etc. Doing that makes it second nature in addition to the regular static fire exercises you are doing. After doing it a few times and having a live fire house and force on force with simunitions and paintballs, you get it in your head really quick. I don't like getting shot with anything, real or simulated. Even in my first scenarios back in the day, I automatically go to cover when a threat presents itself. Replay everything in your head, be hard on yourself, critique yourself, think think think.

As for the DTs, your significant other will be very sore and run from you a lot when you want to practice DTs. Keep it simple. Don't worry about all the fancy stuff in the academy with the twist, shout, right foot in and left foot out stuff. Work on a few basic techniques and drill them until you can execute them without thinking. I don't bother with the fancy twisting armbars and takedowns. I stick with a good ridgehand or simple armbar/elbow lock and a regular prone felony takedown over all the other fancy stuff. Better to be 95% proficient at 1 solid technique than 50% with a bunch of fancy techniques that you won't remember.

Take your time, it will come. But always remember, be hard on yourself. Ego is not even a consideration. It could mean your life someday.
  2. SpitFyRRe
    04-09-2009 20:04
    SpitFyRRe
    Thanks for answering my question, long distance FTO :)

Your tactical day sounds like it was a blast, I'm actually kind of jealous. We were trained to immediately find cover to reload or to move towards cover. It's going to be really weird the first time I hit the range not having my holster and I know my instinct is going to be step to side while releasing mag, pull from pouch, reload, reassess. I've replayed it so many times in my head and have practiced it so many times I know that's what I'm going to do, haha. It'll be interesting, that's for sure. The boyfriend wants to do another shooting contest since he's seen the my confidence with my gun go up immensely. I am worried that I'm going to forget my defense and arrest stuff. I've sort of been practicing but we didn't get the repetitions in like we did with firearms.
  3. lawman800
    04-02-2009 02:34
    lawman800
    Oh, I did my quarterly inservice training on Monday. It was great! We went back to emphasizing on active shooters in light of Oakland and the nursing home shooting. The instructors got approval to integrate more action scenarios so we didn't do First Aid/CPR or simunitions but we had a Hogan's Alley instead where we had to run and gun with a combo of paper targets, steel poppers, and steel plates. They set up a course where we have to run, load a shotgun, sling it, go to pistols, climb stairs, shoot downwards from an elevated position, move laterally, shoot, identify threats, shoot, go through obstacles and shoot around corners, etc. It was one long course and we just loaded for bear like we do for the streets and went at it, which means reloading in the middle of the gunfight and using cover, etc. with minimal instruction other than handle the threat. It was an eye opener to see veterans handle themselves. Some were great, some were... well... not so great.

All I can say is you fight how you train and most guys did it like they were on the static range. Standing upright and reloading in front of the threat even if they only shot 1 out of 3 and the other two were still there. I was one of few who automatically ducked and went for cover before reloading and then popping back out to re-engage so I don't expose myself while vulnerable. That's the other thing to remember, train the way you want to fight. Get it in your head the tactics and drill it until it is automatic.
  4. lawman800
    04-02-2009 02:25
    lawman800
    Congrats, congrats! Scenarios really are fun when you get the hang of it and let yourself have fun instead of worrying about second guessing yourself. The academy is where you want to make the mistakes anyway so that you don't do it on the streets. Sounds like you are already there and you're way ahead of the curve if you do it at this point in the academy. Trust me, some cadets never get it in the academy and some old veterans still don't get it. Where are you applying?

You sound like a salty old cop already with your scenario! I would say good for you but not sure if you wanted to sound like an old salt already. That's pretty much what I would have said but I probably wouldn't be as nice as you. The saltier you get, the less words you say to make the same point. You would fit right in here with what you did and that is good. I am a Field Training Officer (FTO) and I would have given you good marks if you did that if you handled a domestic while being with me.

You understand the game and let it flow. Police work and investigations pretty much work like any other relationship. You let it flow and you act and react based on how the other person conducts themselves. They push, you give within limits, then you stand firm and push back if needed to do what you need to do. It appears that you got the concept. Now you just need to get time under your belt so it's second nature when it is real and not academy play. Don't worry, you got the fundamentals now and it's just getting street time. Haha... this is probably one of the few instances of long distance Field Training in LE history!
  5. SpitFyRRe
    04-01-2009 23:46
    SpitFyRRe
    Well, as of Friday, I officially have my certification in law enforcement for the state of WI!! Scenarios went by so quickly! I rocked the crap out of my domestic. We had a person in crisis and I had a LOT of fun with that. The deadly force taught me a lot about distance between myself and my subject. We used FX for the deadly force and as I was being stabbed in the shoulder, I shot twice and hit him in the chest. That's the only time I'll get away with "shooting" a DCI agent, haha. Now I'm working on my final report for the academy and I'm putting in applications next week since I'm no longer moving to MN.

I took your advice about how to handle an individual who does NOT want to cooperate. In our domestic, the aggressor had found my partner's hot button and pushed it while calling her a nazi bitch cop. I wanted to talk to the woman when my partner had finish talking to her so I took over. The woman kept calling my partner a nazi cop and after talking to my partner, we decided to put her under arrest. As I told her to stand up, she argued and called my partner a Nazi bitch again. I was annoyed that my partner wasn't being more assertive and said something to the effect of "Alright, you need to stop calling my partner a Nazi cop. You've made it clear that you don't want us in your house and I get it, but here's the thing. We're trying to do our jobs, yeah you didn't call the cops, but someone was concerned enough to call us and we need to investigate this. Knowing that you don't want us here and that this isn't our house, we've both been trying to treat you with respect. The sooner you start cooperating with us, the sooner we can leave. If you continue to argue with us I'm going to be placing you under arrest for interferring with our investigation and for disorderly conduct. It's up to you."

Our evaluator was impressed with me I guess. He had nothing bad to say about me in our evaluation which made me pretty happy since it was the first domestic I went to where I wasn't questioning everything I had done.
  6. lawman800
    03-26-2009 19:46
    lawman800
    No worries. Good to hear everything is progressing along just fine. That's what you want in the academy. Just get by and get certified. Then comes the hard part about finding a good place to call home.

We have a mandatory domestic arrest law if we have a verified traumatic injury which just means that if we see any visible injuries, we have to arrest. That includes bruises, cuts, scrapes, etc. as all mandatory factors. The prosecution is another story as the vics have a habit of changing their minds when they realize the scum that hit them is also the one bringing home the bacon.

The key to any interview or investigation is to remember what crime are you establishing and asking all the core questions to get the elements so you have the corpus delecti of the crime in your report. Memorize the key elements and your interview questions will follow. For example, on a criminal threat investigation where fear is an element, I ask for the subjective feeling of fear but I also note objective signs such as shaking or fidgeting or nervous behavior to back up the physiological signs establishing the feeling of fear.

Good luck on the last week and keep me updated on how the job search is going too!
  7. SpitFyRRe
    03-26-2009 15:26
    SpitFyRRe
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, had my final in firearms last week, passed, am now taser certified, had domestics last week, and building searches plus active shooter. This week we had our written final in Defense and Arrest and are finishing the physical stuff up tomorrow, testifying in court and Sexual Assault. I did my Sexual Assault scenario perfectly but totally blanked on my Domestic scenarios last night. I've never had a problem talking to people and I'm usually able to get info out of just about anyone, but last night, I just couldn't figure out what to ask. I can talk my way into a house when they don't want to let me in, I can calm them down and keep them calm, I just forget what the hell to ask, haha. I get the main questions but I kept forgetting the big one, "did this get physical?" We've got our final scenarios next week so if all goes well, I'll be certified as an LEO in the state of WI.

I shot an 11.41 in our el presidente with 50 points out of 60. I was the second most accurate (to a 59) and I think I was 3rd or 4th in the class. My holster is a Safariland 295 (I think).

Does your state not have a mandatory arrest for Domestics? And are they State vs. Blahblahblah or are they considered to be Civil there?
  8. lawman800
    03-16-2009 21:36
    lawman800
    On a contact with a belligerent suspect who is yelling and uncooperative in a verbal manner... you tell her to calm down and let you do your job and she can be on her way when you are done. If she continues to yell and be uncooperative, you will have no choice but to secure her from interfering with your investigation. She can sit down on the curb and be quiet while you do your job or she can be in the backseat of the squad car if she cannot control her own outbursts. If she is uncooperative on a traffic stop, she is interfering with your investigation and it might rise to obstruction and if you do have something to cite her for, she can be arrested for not cooperating and you would have to take her in custody until she can brought in front of a magistrate. It's quite fluid though and you have to see how the situation resolves itself. As you get more used to contacts and how to deal with people, it gets easier.

Which Safariland holster do you have? I used the 6285 and now I use the 6004 drop-leg tactical holster. Both are level II and quite fast on the draw. Sounds like you are a natural shooter. Lots of girls I know are good, natural shooters. They don't have the preconceived notion of machismo like most men.

The 40SW is a good cartridge. It is categorized as a "major" caliber in IPSC by power factor so yeah, you would be taking some people down if you get them just right at even 25 yards (75 feet).

No idea about Brown. The DA is wrangling with having a hostile victim or even no victim if she is set against testifying and withdraws her charges. Oh well, here's to her plastic surgeon who will be putting her face back together in the future.
  9. SpitFyRRe
    03-16-2009 21:15
    SpitFyRRe
    We run over the radio. I guess part of it too was I wasn't really expecting her to do it which caught me off guard. That's a pisspoor excuse, I know. So what would I tell a suspect like that? Stop yelling get back in the car or I'm putting you in the back of my squad for safety?

I actually had kind of a good day today. I've got that safariland Level II holster, which is actually the slowest holster in my class. We were doing top shooter at the end where we had 3 targets and we had to unholster, deliver 2 to each target, reload, deliver 2 to each target again and reload. I can do that in under 11 seconds. I'm the second fastest in our group. My shots were good, and the majority of them landed in center mass (5 points), but there were 2 misses and 3 or 4 that were in low point areas (arms and hip).

We also learned to shoot prone today. I did ok in that but I did manage to shoot my target down. Apparently a .40 bullet being shot from 45-50 feet away still has enough umph to drop the target if you hit the target holder.

When is brown set to go deal with all of this?
  10. lawman800
    03-12-2009 19:51
    lawman800
    I think felony stops are pretty standard for all agencies except LAPD which has a swarm technique instead. I was talking about a regular T-stop where the driver gets out of the car before you can even start the approach. In that case, they do not get to go back in the car, but they get to sit on the curb until I am satisfied that they are not hiding anything in the car.

Never let the suspect dictate the tone and tempo of the encounter. If she yells, give her 1 chance to stop while you continue your investigation. If she insists on yelling, she gets to sit in the back of the unit until you are done. Are you guys simulating MDTs or you run over the radio?

I think Brown's people will pull any and all political angles to get him off, to include getting the corrupt local politicians like Nate Holden and Bernie Parks involved. I hope the DA has the cajones to carry it through and not cave in to political pressure.