Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Snubbie Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Finally got my first snub! (Some questions inside) (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101209)

JGguns 08-12-2009 06:37

Finally got my first snub! (Some questions inside)

I have been wanting one for a long time so I finally came up with a good reason to buy one. I ankle carry my g26 but when I am wearing shorts I pocket or iwb and its just alittle to big. So I decided I need the snub (I went with the 637, I like the hammer) for carrying when I am wearing shorts. Well after some range time with it I have been carrying it non stop, even when I am wearing jeans lol. I was amazed with the level of accuracy I have with it. i have always heard these are a for close range only. But I have no problem hitting at 15-20 yards ( I saw a vid on youtube of this guy hitting 80 yards with his!). But I have a few questions, I bought mine used from a guy, he said he shot 15 rds through it and it looks like it. It has a lock on it and I always see them advertised with no lock, so is there a down side to mine having the lock? I cant fid anything wrong with it. Also I am wanting a to get a couple speed loaders, any suggestions? And lastly I got some hornady critical defense for my carry rounds and for target I picked some semi jacketed hollow points for dirt cheap. Any reason i shouldnt be shooting lead out of it? Sorry for the long post fellas. Thanks for any input

Blacknite29 08-12-2009 12:09

Tagged.

Two Guns 08-12-2009 19:13

Nice pick on th snubbie and good choice for carry ammo.I hate the locks because there is no use for them on a revolver.I like HKS speed loaders but I use speed strips when I carry.You can shoot all the lead you want out of it.Just make sure you send a bore brush down the tube when you get home.

Korrupted 08-13-2009 15:15

Thanks, I really am loving this little gun. Looking forward to carrying it soon. Since the wait time is 3 months for a Mika, I ordered a Nemesis in the meantime till it comes in.

JGguns 08-14-2009 16:14

Alright ill make sure I do. The lock does seem pointless but as long as it doesnt malfunction on me im fine with. I have read good things about about the harnady, ill shoot it and see how it shoots. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a non plus p defensive ammo?

Berto 08-14-2009 17:51

I have a J frame with the lock, it has seen hundreds of rounds without issue.
So, I don't like the lock, but it has been no problem either.

The new Hornady Critical Defense 110gr load might be a decent choice in std pressure, but I personally prefer to error toward penetration vs a light expanding bullet, so in common ammo I'd pick a good 158gr SWC load or best yet, the Buffalo Bore std pressure wadcutter.
They make a decent 125gr jhp load too.

JGguns 08-14-2009 18:12

Ill look into them. I dont mind the plus p I just want some standard so I can shoot that and see what works better for me. Also what are you guys using for IWB and hip carry? I picked up a cheap thin quest IWB and I love it but its not the most secure holster. I would like somthing that holds like a galco southern comfort (IWB for my G26) but alittle thinner...

LSP972 08-14-2009 19:21

Federal NyClad 125gr for a non +P load. Winchester used to produce a 158gr lead SWC at standard pressure which I would not hesitate to use; dunno if its still available.

Just curious... if you're contemplating belt carry, why stray from the G26? J frames are meant for pockets. if you're going to wear a holster, might as well fill it with something a bit more substantial, but just as easily concealable.

Measure the thickness of your G26 slide, then do the same on the 637's cylinder... ;)

JGguns 08-14-2009 20:20

The belt holster isnt for carry (I shouldnt have said carry) its for having it on my hip when I am shooting at the range. And as to the IWB i have measured but for whatever reason my smith is comfortable and my glock isnt. I can throw the smith IWB and forget im wearing it. The glock I cant. Not to menting the weight differance is pretty substantial. Thats funny you mention the federal ammo I just got done reading up on it lol thanks for the input

LSP972 08-15-2009 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGguns (Post 13578537)
The belt holster isnt for carry (I shouldnt have said carry) its for having it on my hip when I am shooting at the range.

Got it. I have an old Fobus paddle holster that I used for the same purpose (qualifications).

JGguns 08-15-2009 13:27

I have used the fobus for my glocks but dont like it, the metal gromit on the inside of the holster scratched my gun. Have you had that problem with your revolver? I am thinking I want to find a good leather holster if anybody can point me in a good direction.

LSP972 08-15-2009 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGguns (Post 13582147)
I have used the fobus for my glocks but dont like it, the metal gromit on the inside of the holster scratched my gun. Have you had that problem with your revolver?

Nope. Nor my Glocks; I have one that I actually wore daily with a G19 for a couple of years when I was in plain clothes. Despite all the doom'n'gloom/dire predictions from certain folks about the horrors of using a Fobus, it worked out quite well... ;)

JGguns 08-15-2009 20:00

I like the holster, it drws very well I just didnt like the scratching. I got a uncle mikes that is basically the same as a fobus but alittle more crisp lockup and this 20 dollar holster is hands down the best I have ever owned. I wish I could find some more like it...

DH9 01-08-2010 20:39

I put a small piece of adhesive felt that is sold for bow hunting over that metal piece on my fobus. No more scratch worries.

captcurly 01-09-2010 12:43

Good choice of weapon (637) and I own and carry on also. My ammo is either Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel or Hornady Critical Defense. Enjoy the new 637 you will not be sorry.