Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   9mm ammo used by Los Angeles Sheriffs? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129138)

mikegun 10-08-2009 22:32

9mm ammo used by Los Angeles Sheriffs?

Does anyone know what duty ammo the LA Sheriffs office carries in their 9mm duty pistols?

freakshow10mm 10-08-2009 23:07

My guess is the 124gr version of a Gold Dot, HS, or Ranger. Either of them will do the job.

xcop 10-09-2009 04:38

Lasd

Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T

hotpig 10-09-2009 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcop (Post 13937642)
Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T

They used to carry the RA9SXT until the RA9T replaced it.

JBP55 10-09-2009 13:35

A good choice.

mikegun 10-09-2009 13:37

They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?

RIPPED 10-09-2009 18:07

RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well. :)

JBP55 10-09-2009 18:40

Denham Springs, La. PD as well in G34's.

mikegun 10-11-2009 18:38

I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....

Dandapani 10-11-2009 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikegun (Post 13940389)
They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPPED (Post 13941951)
RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well. :)

That's UNPOSSIBLE! Every knows that 147 grain in 9mm is crap. Only 115 grain +++P+++ will remotely do the job, and it will take more than 17 rounds to do it......

j/k :tongueout::rofl::wavey:

Philly K-9 10-11-2009 19:23

In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!

hotpig 10-11-2009 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikegun (Post 13954438)
I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....

Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.

mikegun 10-12-2009 01:14

busted

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotpig (Post 13954990)
Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.

What can i say you busted me good.....:wavey:

Regular Joe 10-12-2009 04:51

WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.

Bullet Man 10-12-2009 07:26

Lapd

Ref: Tampa PD, you are correct about the 9mm. They will be changing guns and ammunition in March... They have purchased the M&P 40 and 60,000 rounds of 40 Gold Dot.. The Gold Dot is already there...

ricklee4570 02-05-2010 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly K-9 (Post 13954768)
In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!

I heard that they had really good results with the Federal 9BP's, I wonder why they are switching. When something is working, why change?

Philly K-9 02-05-2010 05:48

Well, from what I understand, the Fed HST line is really good ammo. We are allowed to buy and carry .40's and .45's and both are loaded with HST. Maybe it's just a matter of making the ordering prosess simpler. But what I think really happened is that our Comm. listened to people who know what the're talking about and ordered the switch based upon that recomendition. If so, that's something past Comm. never did.

SIGShooter 02-05-2010 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regular Joe (Post 13956999)
WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.

WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.

Roering 02-05-2010 16:36

Quote:

Methinks there is a Mall somewhere missing its Ninja.

As to the OP I don't know for sure but a lot of PD's seem to lean towards the heavier grain hollow points.

CanyonMan 02-05-2010 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGShooter (Post 14689429)
WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.

:rofl:

CM

remat 02-05-2010 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandapani (Post 13954537)
That's UNPOSSIBLE! Every knows that 147 grain in 9mm is crap. Only 115 grain +++P+++ will remotely do the job

j/k :tongueout::rofl::wavey:

:rofl:
At some point the 147gr haters will have to retract the tired mantra that there are not enough "street shootings" to "prove" that 147gr's work.

remat 02-05-2010 19:51

Quote:

WHO CARES what LA does?

[serious snipping]

That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.

Ok, but I am pretty sure the OP cares since he asked.

South Fla 02-05-2010 20:09

Quote:

A Ruger with hand loads. (snicker...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roering (Post 14693033)
Methinks there is a Mall somewhere missing its Ninja.

+ 1,000 this.

ggarciatx 02-05-2010 22:10

Shheeesssshhhhhhh

Quote:

:upeyes:
If I was a prosecuting attorney and I found your post on this and you were in court on using deadly force, I would be throwing this in your face.

S. Kelly 02-05-2010 22:26

PhillyK9, how are the .45s going over? Lots of guys going to them?