Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Smith & Wesson Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   Looked at an M&P9c w/safety... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145630)

azdick 11-12-2009 12:53

Looked at an M&P9c w/safety...

I was interested in an M&P9c w/safety as a demo gun for my basic pistol class (for those wanting to take a CCW, but totally without any guns or experience). A local shop had one NIB, but the trigger was the notchiest I have ever experienced, it was almost as bad as the rachet on a Snap-on socket wrench. The sales guy had no words of wisdom for me & a S&W tech said they break in with use, or the performance center could do a trigger job for around $100.

Anyone out there had this problem? Is the safety version's trigger worse than the standard?

Linux3 11-12-2009 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by azdick (Post 14157830)
Anyone out there had this problem? Is the safety version's trigger worse than the standard?

You bring up an interesting thought.
I have a M&P 9MM w/o thumb safety and I really like the trigger.

Because I saw so happy with the 9MM I bought an M&P in .45 ACP and it had a thumb safety. It had the worlds worse trigger. I could never hit anything with it. I ended up trading it for an M&P 9MM Pro which I really, really like.
You could have an interesting idea here. I have fired a bunch of M&P's and liked all of them except the .45 with the thumb safety. Humm.
Love to hear from an M&P expert on this.

fastbolt 11-13-2009 19:53

The thumb safety isn't connected to the trigger in a manner which would affect the trigger pull. The assembly blocks the rearward movement of the trigger when it's in the On-Safe position.

My personal M&P 45 had a trigger on the heavy end of the possible range (7 1/2 lbs +/- 2 lbs versus the 9/.40/.357 models where the trigger is expected to run in a spec range of 6 1/2 lbs +/- 2 lbs) ... which meant mine was averaging over 9 lbs at first when averaged on my digital scale. It was stiff and had some roughness in it, but the gun was amazingly accurate despite the trigger. I just had to work at my trigger control/press. ;) It became much smoother with use and it became even easier to experience the amazing accuracy of the gun. I enjoyed shooting it more than my 1911's and my TDA .45 Smith's.

While I haven't sent mine in for a Performance Center trigger job, and likely won't, I've heard they do a good job. I haven't had the opportunity to try one of the Performance Center sears, either.

My M&P 40c had a somewhat better trigger out of the box than my M&P 45, although still with some early roughness which disappeared more quickly than it did in my M&P 45.

I recently replaced the original MIM striker in my M&P 45 with a new revised version, which is thicker in some dimensions and appears to be a stainless (cast?) part instead of MIM.

When I took it to the range I was expecting a certain amount of 'new stiffness', if only from the new striker spring and the new, unworn surface of the striker's foot engaging the sear. Instead, it felt like it was even smoother than when the previous well-worn striker had been in the gun. Nice.

azdick 12-05-2009 11:32

I went back 2 weeks later & looked at the M&P 9c /w safety and tried it again, comparing it to a full size M&P 9 (sweet trigger!). It was much better, evidently having been tried by a number of customers -- in fact, it was acceptable enough that I am now trying to figure out how to scrape up the $$. $499 seems to be a smoken' good price, too.

G33 12-05-2009 18:00

Also do not see that safety would impact trigger feel.
Have both in my 5 Smiths.
:supergrin:

happyguy 12-06-2009 10:24

The trigger in my 9c (no safety) was pretty rough to begin with but I bought it anyway because I had heard that they smooth out pretty quickly.

It did and the trigger is just fine now.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

G33 12-06-2009 15:52

I have found that it is best to clean the M&Ps first.
Lube them and then shoot.
Clean again and lube.
Then dry fire.
A bunch.
Triggers are great then.
IMHO

CDW 01-02-2010 20:03

Just bought one today for the wife

I've been trying to get the wife to buy a gun for herself for a while now. She does not enjoy shooting any of my .40's. We went to the gun show this morning, which was a bust, more beef jerky than firearms it seemed like. On the way home we stopped at a local shop. I was trying to talk her into a G19 or a Kahr P9, but she didn't like the fact that neither of them had a manual safety. The guy pulled down a S&W M&P 9C Compact from the rack and she liked it right away. They have a range there, so she took it out and fired 5 shots. That was all it took. A credit card transaction and a background check later and we were on our way home. She's very happy with it. We bought some 9MM snap caps so she could practice dry firing and clearing drills. The trigger seems fine to me. Anyway, it's the first S&W in the house. Hopefully we have good luck.

happyguy 01-03-2010 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by G33 (Post 14295255)
I have found that it is best to clean the M&Ps first.
Lube them and then shoot.
Clean again and lube.
Then dry fire.
A bunch.
Triggers are great then.
IMHO

G33,

Like your avatar! :wavey:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

azdick 01-20-2010 13:07

Well, the end of the story is that I went and bought one.... I hope to get to the range sometime later this week, but the deciding factor was the 3 sizes of backstraps that comes with the gun. It should be possible to get a good fit and grip for newbies to help them get a proper fit and know what to look for when buying their personal defense gun. The gun I bought was not the one I wrote about at the first post, but was NIB -- the trigger, while not perfect, was more than acceptable and will only get better with clean, lube and break-in.

AWMP 02-13-2010 10:52

Is there a replacement for the M&P 9mm MIM striker? Cost? Thanks
AW

I recently replaced the original MIM striker in my M&P 45 with a new revised version, which is thicker in some dimensions and appears to be a stainless (cast?) part instead of MIM.

When I took it to the range I was expecting a certain amount of 'new stiffness', if only from the new striker spring and the new, unworn surface of the striker's foot engaging the sear. Instead, it felt like it was even smoother than when the previous well-worn striker had been in the gun. Nice.[/QUOTE]

fastbolt 02-13-2010 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWMP (Post 14748546)
Is there a replacement for the M&P 9mm MIM striker? Cost? Thanks
AW

Okay, while I originally received some uncertain info on the strikers, I finally received some clarification.

The original strikers with the flat black finish were machined parts.

I was told there were apparently at least some of the new-style (revised) .45 strikers, which require the new 1-piece spring keeper, still made as machined parts. They have a dull, plain finish and exhibit none of the typical signs of being a MIM part (slight mold lines & markings). This is a picture of what I've been told is one of the machined new-style .45 strikers, alongside an original black finish machined .45 striker. When I compared it to a new MIM 9/40 striker, the lack of any similar mold lines & markings and the markedly duller finish were pretty apparent. Very little surprises me anymore, though. The company has been known to make engineering changes and changes in manufacturing specifications faster than the customer service & parts people can be informed regarding the changes. It wouldn't be the first time I've ended up receiving conflicting info from different sources about the specific nature of some design and/or manufacturing change. ;)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73...erscloseup.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73...ikerswhole.jpg

All of the new-style, revised strikers are going to be MIM parts, with the MIM unit replacing the original machined version. They will exhibit the typical signs of being a MIM part and will have a very bright, shiny & polished appearance (and require use of the 1-piece spring keeper). They're compatible with all slides.

I don't have any pictures at hand of the latest revised MIM striker (with the bright & shiny finish) which I received a little while ago for the 9/40/357 models, although I can try to take a couple pictures later on. Someone else posted some images of one over on the M&P Forums in one of the 'striker' threads, though.

In the meantime, S&W has apparently already switched over to the new MIM strikers for production for the 9/40/357 guns, so the strikers can probably be ordered as parts and purchased from the company easily enough (meaning at times a short wait may be involved between S&W receiving shipments from its vendor). If purchased as an assembly the new 1-piece keeper will be included. If purchased as an individual part, the 1-piece keeper must also be purchased.

The current part number on my shipping list for the complete 9/40 striker assembly is Part # 279770000 M&P Striker Assembly Rev B, and the retail price listed on the website is $31.41 (plus any applicable tax and shipping charges). You can check with S&W customer service to confirm the info for whatever you want to order.

Billet 02-14-2010 10:43

Congrats, azdick, the M&P 9c is an excellent pistol. The trigger on mine is smoother after 1,000 rounds, and its always been a great shooter. The sight radius and ergos of the 9c really help in the accuracy department. Mine's been flawless.