Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactics and Training (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What Everyone Should KNOW about DryFiring Their Pistol >> (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146526)

TheLastDaze 11-14-2009 08:33

What Everyone Should KNOW about DryFiring Their Pistol >>

OK, First of all I'm either man enough or stupid enough to share my ignorance with glocktalk public.

650 rounds later I'm still not at 100% with DA (glock)triggers, so I've posted in the past. EVERYONE recommends DRYFIRE, DRYFIRE etc.... So I buy a couple snap caps, but man what a pain to do, so I've never done it, UNTIL NOW..

Some of you noobies and old-timers may already know you DO NOT have to eject your snap cap AT ALL...

That's right I'm an idiot and never thought to even try to (reset) the striker without ejecting round (as I've never had to practice dryfire in my life), simply have a snap cap in and fire, then move slide back approximately 1/4" and you're ready again..

I'm sure EVERYONE KNOWS this, just thought I'd share for the possibility SOMEONE may not...

glockfanbob 11-14-2009 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastDaze (Post 14168707)

Some of you noobies and old-timers may already know you DO NOT have to eject your snap cap AT ALL...

Yep, I can't imagine dry firing with ejecting a snap cap all the time.

Kentucky_Guy 11-14-2009 08:52

for me, personally, i dont see the need to repeatedly dry-fire a glock...since its the exact same trigger pull ever time....

but now on my Sig 229 when i had it, i dry fired the heck out of it with a snap cap to smooth out the trigger and get accustomed to the double action pull....

again, nothing wrong with dry firing a glock, just dont see the need for it

Butcher777 11-14-2009 09:05

Thanks for the tip ,I've been around guns and shooting for over 35 years . Owning a Glock is new to me and I want any and all the information I can get . Thanks Mike

Slotback 11-14-2009 09:09

Passing on lessons learned never hurts. No matter when it is learned.

MrVvrroomm 11-14-2009 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastDaze (Post 14168707)

That's right I'm an idiot and never thought to even try to (reset) the striker without ejecting round (as I've never had to practice dryfire in my life), simply have a snap cap in and fire, then move slide back approximately 1/4" and you're ready again..

I'm sure EVERYONE KNOWS this, just thought I'd share for the possibility SOMEONE may not...

Even my wife is sitting here giggling after I read your post to her. LOL

faawrenchbndr 11-14-2009 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentucky_Guy (Post 14168781)
for me, personally, i dont see the need to repeatedly dry-fire a glock...since its the exact same trigger pull ever time....

Muscle memory,..... you are trining your ming, grip, stance and trigger finger.
It's a lot cheaper than bullets.

Palmguy 11-14-2009 09:28

Quote:

but now on my Sig 229 when i had it, i dry fired the heck out of it with a snap cap to smooth out the trigger and get accustomed to the double action pull....

I agree with faawrenchbndr...dryfire is important for practice. It's been the single most important practice technique in improving my shooting.

glockman513 11-14-2009 10:09

A lot of repetitive dry firing will have the same affect as a .25 cent trigger job. But I mean A LOT of dry firing.

jmsfmtex 11-14-2009 10:09

Also

Using snap caps is beneficial in areas other than resetting the trigger. They are useful when doing drills on malfunctions. As one member mentioned "muscle memory". When you have a FTF you slap the magazine and rack the slide. This way you will most likely slap and rack rather than just reset the trigger. What you do during drills you will most likely do doing a real life situation.

TheLastDaze 11-14-2009 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm (Post 14168868)
Even my wife is sitting here giggling after I read your post to her. LOL

thanks, I feel so much better now.....:tongueout:

toshbar 11-14-2009 10:54

Just going to put this out for the OP:

You also can hold the trigger back after dry firing, rack the slide, and then practice on your trigger reset and getting off another dry fire.

hatrix 11-14-2009 11:08

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I didn't know this lol.

I've only dry fired the snap caps a couple times with my glock but damn, I feel stupid for not thinking of this :crying::rofl::rofl:
I just assumed most people used em for revolvers and dry fired without anything in autos

Pappy John 11-14-2009 11:18

Quote:

Muscle memory,..... you are trining your ming
I am????

Holy Cow! I'm not sure that's even legal in my state.:supergrin:

Brucev 11-14-2009 12:21

It has been a long time since I've owned a Glock. Recently I bought a G-22RTF. I very much like the pistol. But it's far different that a 1911 trigger. I've been dry firing the pistol at night to develop control, etc. I understood that one did not need to use snap caps to dry fire a Glock. Is this information incorrect? Sincerely. Brucev.

Mr5150 11-14-2009 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy John (Post 14169400)
I am????

Holy Cow! I'm not sure that's even legal in my state.:supergrin:

That KILLED me! :rofl:

JBaird22 11-14-2009 16:53

As far as needing to use snap caps to prevent damage in a Glock, they are not needed. The design of the gun and parts doesn't make the weapon susceptible to damage from dry firing. I think the OP was talking about using them in place of live ammo or an empty chamber.

I treat dry fire practice like malfunction drill practice in that I pulled the trigger, gun went click, I tap, rack reassess.

Dry firing is necessary in all firearms to building trigger finger strength, muscle memory and develop proper trigger control.

.45Super-Man 11-14-2009 19:23

Quote:

The point of dry firing isnt so much to smooth out the trigger, as it is to focus on sight alignment as you pull the trigger. Once you've released the striker or hammer without disturbing the sight picture, you're good.

Gallium 11-14-2009 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 14168897)
Muscle memory,..... you are training your mind, grip, stance and trigger finger.
It's a lot cheaper than bullets.

"Muscles" don't have "memory". :) What I assume you mean is, you are allowing those neural pathways in your brain to become familiar with the task so that it can become a subconscious action (like walking, breathing, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaird22 (Post 14170822)
As far as needing to use snap caps to prevent damage in a Glock, they are not needed. The design of the gun and parts doesn't make the weapon susceptible to damage from dry firing. I think the OP was talking about using them in place of live ammo or an empty chamber.

I treat dry fire practice like malfunction drill practice in that I pulled the trigger, gun went click, I tap, rack reassess.

Dry firing is necessary in all firearms to building trigger finger strength, muscle memory and develop proper trigger control.

There is a GTer here (JAMROCK), who if memory serves me proper, damaged his Glock from dry firing. Not saying this is the case, just saying that's what HE said.

'Drew

THEPOPE 11-14-2009 22:40

As I am sure you all know, dry-firing a Glock is the way to field strip it, and as such, it is designed for "dry-fire"....

Now, if you hold that trigger back, and move the slide a bit ( 1/4 inch, or less...)

you can now let loose the trigger slowly to experience the "re-set" feature of that trigger...and dry-fire again.

Maybe some other pistols can do this, too, I only know it's a fact about Glocks.

"........woe...black Betty...bam-a-lam.........."........I am noww:cool:out