Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cutting Edge (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Glock Knifes. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160074)

Lichter21c 12-18-2009 23:19

Glock Knifes.

1 Attachment(s)
Well I ordered a Glock 81 in black with the sheath.

Also I ordered a Rat Cutlery Izula
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/u...b6bf18f8_o.jpg

Did I do alright? im was looking for a medium quality knife at a low price.
I have heard good things about the Izula but actually havent heard a whole lot about the glock. I am Big fan of their guns so I thought I would give it a shot. thanks for your help.

21C

jesse2205 12-19-2009 01:38

Don't know much about the glock knife, but the izula is one of the best little fixed blade knives you can buy. You have great taste :)

deadmonkey90 12-19-2009 02:11

well the glock knife should have gone for about 35 dollars, and i dont know what a knife like the one in the pic would cost. (Is that para cord built into the handle?)

drider 12-20-2009 19:43

Negative on the paracord, the Glock knife is badass! i always hear bad things about it, but it is totally functional, it is not a 'fairy' knife or whatever people call it, but it works!

base704 12-21-2009 23:42

Is the glock 78 (field knife) double edged or single?
I'm considering buying one, because i've heard/read that it's really a good knife for the money. Just don't know if I want the saw-backed (survival 81) or the field...
Thanx in advance for any input.

JohnKSa 12-22-2009 01:17

It is a clip point with a false edge. I suppose you could sharpen the false edge if you wanted to but because of the way the blade grind is done it would be hard to get a really decent cutting geometry on it.

I won an 81 awhile back in a GSSF Indoor League match and it's a nice knife. I haven't done any torture testing on it, but here are my impressions.

Blade steel feels a bit on the soft side, at least it sharpens pretty easily/fast. A softish blade is reasonable for a survival type knife since it makes breakage less likely. The down side is that edge holding isn't as good.

The blade grind is decent but not great--not symmetric. I ended up having to do a faceted tip when I sharpened to try to hide the assymetry and to get a decent tip on the blade. When the grind isn't symmetric you'll notice it most easily in the tip of the blade.

I like the rest of the knife (handle/sheath/guard) it's well thought out and seems very functional. I've been using it as a letter opener--I don't really have an application that would test the abilities of a knife like this one.

edge4628 12-22-2009 01:25

here you go, glock 81 knife test , reviews and videos.

http://www.knifetest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312

base704 12-22-2009 22:52

That torture test is what I meant when I said heard/read...
Was mainly wondering about the double edge, or lack thereof on the 78...
Thanx, all.

JohnKSa 12-22-2009 23:16

Interesting testing methodology.

Apparently the handle/guard attachment is well thought out and well implemented.

The knife in the test looked like it had the false edge sharpened. Neither the 78 nor the 81 comes like that. (My wife won a 78 at an outdoor GSSF match.) :supergrin:

Morris 12-27-2009 19:24

The Glock knives were meant to be field knives. In short, easy to sharpen for the grunts, easy to replace. They do the job in the field.

msinc 12-28-2009 09:10

Has a built in beer bottle opener which as we all know is extremely important in a survival situation. Most guys use it more than they do the edge to cut something. Since my favorite beer is "yellow" and I am a raging alcoholic anyway I know I do. It has a good look and feel. Mine is definately not soft, as a matter of fact most comment on the difficulty they have sharpening these things. I use an edge guide so it's easy. Seems to hold an edge as good as most others out there. Probably better than anything in its cost range. Bottom line for me is that there are just too many decent stainless steel knives available to put up with the inevitability of rust.

JohnKSa 12-28-2009 13:17

Quote:

Mine is definately not soft, as a matter of fact most comment on the difficulty they have sharpening these things.
Probably should have provided some frame of reference.

The effect of the stone on the metal is fairly rapid compared to most other knives I own. That's what I meant when I said it sharpens fast and the metal is on the soft side. If you watch the "testing" videos you'll see that one of the things they noted was that the edge didn't chip at all, it simply rolled over/bent/wore away in the concrete test. That's another indication that the metal hardness leans more toward the soft side than to the hard side.

However, the grind geometry isn't conducive to getting a good edge when you first get the knife. You're going to have to take off a good bit of metal to set up a good edge geometry. So it would be correct to say that it's difficult to sharpen--at least it is the first time.
Quote:

Seems to hold an edge as good as most others out there. Probably better than anything in its cost range.
Yeah, with the cost qualifier that's probably true. Anyway, you want a survival type knife to be a bit on the soft side. You can always resharpen the edge if it dulls but if it the blade breaks because it's really hard (brittle) then you're in trouble.

drider 12-30-2009 01:58

great beer cap opener, my Glock 81 was personally field tested!

mitchshrader 01-02-2010 05:36

Glock knife=sharpened crowbar. cost effective, sub-optimal. in other words, cheap and hard to break but a lousy user.

The Izula is a gem, as good a blade as you'll need for any job it's up to.