Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Carry 24/7 or just when needed? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165499)

rbnfl 01-02-2010 14:05

Carry 24/7 or just when needed?

I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.

Moderator Note: I am bumping this to the top for new members. There are some good posts here.

Do note this is a January, 2010 thread. Lots of laws in the states mentioned have changed, so do not get all riled up if what is posted does not agree with 2014 laws in your state. OKAY??

Yes, it's a long thread. Please do read through it to make certain your comment or questions has not been made and addressed or answered before. If it needs an update, please do so!

Thanks,

RussP

G36Packer 01-02-2010 14:49

How does one know when it is going to be needed. To me carrying when and where legal, i.e. 24/7, is when needed.

I don't knowingly go to the bad parts of town, etc.

eXistenZ 01-02-2010 14:51

I don't cross my door pane unarmed, period.

Quote:

If you are a warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today. No one can be “on” 24/7 for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.”
http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

BhamGlock 01-02-2010 14:51

24/7 and 365 days a year! I am never unarmed, not even in the shower! :whistling:

dnuggett 01-02-2010 14:54

OP- Define "when needed". Then really think about your response. It's a good exercise to go through as a license holder.

Short answer...... you do not know where you will or will not need it.

bassdeer 01-02-2010 14:54

carry

Allways, Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

Hugo R 01-02-2010 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by G36Packer (Post 14464140)
How does one know when it is going to be needed. To me carrying when and where legal, i.e. 24/7, is when needed.

I don't knowingly go to the bad parts of town, etc.

Exactly! How the heck would you or could you possibly have any idea of if and when you are going to need the most important tool you ever used? Like many here, I carry 24/7/365 99.9% of the time and avoid like crazy going anywhere without it.

Cause you never know about the if and when.

HR

Carrys 01-02-2010 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugo R (Post 14464343)
Exactly! How the heck would you or could you possibly have any idea of if and when you are going to need the most important tool you ever used? Like many here, I carry 24/7/365 99.9% of the time and avoid like crazy going anywhere without it.

Cause you never know about the if and when.

HR

Yep, I also vote for the 24/7 concept.

Who knows "when it's needed" may come around?

If I did, I'd have a rifle at the ready.

hi480volts 01-02-2010 15:37

Everywhere I go. I am giving up my company vehicle due to our policy of not allowing guns in them. I understand the policy and liability but I am not comfortable letting someone else decide about my personal safety. My vehicle, my choice.

Ticman 01-02-2010 15:37

24 by 7. If I know a place where I will need to be armed I won't go there.

Bill Lumberg 01-02-2010 15:57

You won't really know when it's needed until it's too late. The average ccw'er will live a full and natural life without ever needing a firearm to defend themself, so this isn't really a question of immediacy. Carry where and when you're legal and comfortable. Use supplemental locking devices when leaving your gun unattended in a vehicle. How much you carry is a personal preference.

Misty02 01-02-2010 15:58

I honestly don’t have a clue when I’ll need it. There is a possibility I never will; however, since I have the ability to carry most of the time, why gamble? I have a bunch of stuff in my car, in my house and in my purse for “just in case”. I can manage carrying one more.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Before I started carrying a wise person told me that I should never give a thought as to when to carry, it should be something you do always. The only active thought about carrying was as to where not to, those would be places where it is illegal or prohibited. <o:p></o:p>
I’ve read something like this many times in the forum and I’m in complete agreement with that statement: “If I knew when and where I would need a gun, I would just make sure never to be there. For the other times I just carry in case it is needed.”<o:p></o:p>
If you’re starting now, make it a habit to carry with you always and eliminate the guess work as to when you think your risk without one is higher. Of course, don’t carry where it is not legal.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...hooting_t.html<o:p></o:p>
The people in the story on the link above gathered for a family Thanksgiving dinner in a relatively safe neighborhood. I doubt any of them thought they would need a firearm that day.<o:p></o:p>

Dalton Wayne 01-02-2010 16:01

Only time I am not armed is when I'm asleep and then my gun is in my reach as I sleep. :cool:
Regards
DW

mikegun 01-02-2010 16:18

Make it a habit, in that case u will have the gun if you need it or not....

racer88 01-02-2010 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticman (Post 14464419)
24 by 7. If I know a place where I will need to be armed I won't go there.

Exactly!

southern_boy 01-02-2010 16:23

i carry 24/7!....if i only carryed when "needed" i think id be beter off not going to that place. but what do i know about trying to stay out of trouble.

user 01-02-2010 16:24

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house all the time, or only when it's needed?

garebel 01-02-2010 16:45

24/7 too!

Wherever legal.
Hopefully, that part will expand substantially with the coming legislative session here in Georgia.

Glock30 Guy 01-02-2010 16:49

On my person, in the car, in the home, 24/7. You never know when you might need it. No different than grabbing my wallet, cell, and keys in the morning.

HWA GLOCKER 01-02-2010 16:51

24/7 365 never leave home without it, hell I got my G17 on me right now.