Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Monarch 9mm Brass vs. 9mm Steel Rounds (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169568)

Scott in Houston 01-11-2010 21:46

Monarch 9mm Brass vs. 9mm Steel Rounds

At Academy, the Brass is 11.99 for 50 rounds and the steel is 9.99 per 50 rounds. Why is the steel less? Is it because you can't reload a steel hull?

Merkavaboy 01-12-2010 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 14527615)
At Academy, the Brass is 11.99 for 50 rounds and the steel is 9.99 per 50 rounds. Why is the steel less? Is it because you can't reload a steel hull?

That would more than likely be the reason; reloadable v. non-reloadable. Plus, brass v. steel. Made in Boznia v. made in Russia.

stengun 01-13-2010 21:34

Howdy,

Gee, maybe because steel is about $.03/lb and brass is about $4.00lb.

Paul

2afreedom 01-17-2010 12:53

Unless you're a reloader use the steel and save some cash to shoot more. Guarantee the paper you're punching won't know the difference.

Scott in Houston 01-17-2010 13:35

Through further research, there are some that believe the steel uses corrosive primers and the brass is better quality (not being made in Russia).
I'm sticking to the brass when I shoot Monarch at all.

Merkavaboy 01-17-2010 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 14563456)
Through further research, there are some that believe the steel uses corrosive primers and the brass is better quality (not being made in Russia).
I'm sticking to the brass when I shoot Monarch at all.

All modern commercial and military ammo that is being made today use non-corrosive priming, including Russian made ammo. The only way you're going to get corrosive primed ammo is with military surplus made in thad 70's And earlier, primarily from the old Combloc and eastern countries, and primarily in rifle calibers. Much of the earily Makarov and Tokarev surplus ammo imported was corrosive primed. I don't recall any 9x19mm being imported with corrosive primers with the exception of some Czech mil surplus imported by Interarms close to 20 years ago. After WWII Sweden had so much surplus 9mm ammo that they went as far as pulling the bullets, removing the corrosive primers and then reloading it all over again with non-corrosive primers and then repacking the ammo and they sold multi-millions of this ammo on the U.S. market.

Scott in Houston 01-17-2010 17:45

That's good to know! I was scared away from the steel for no reason other than Internet BS.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Merkavaboy 01-18-2010 01:24

I just remembered that any Egyptian 9mm (small rectangular 36 round boxes) should be considered corrosive primed.

samuse 01-19-2010 22:23

I have run 5 or 6 thousand rounds of Monarch Steel through a couple of Glocks with no problems. One lot had 4 that didn't fire, but no harm done to my guns. Decently accurate and shoots pretty soft. It stinks too:supergrin:

DEADEYEGUY 01-22-2010 23:45

I shoot it whenI can't find anything else. I was scared away by all the horror stories of steel cased ammo at first also. But then a friend who collect ammo showed me a box of U.S. military ball ammo made in 1943 and it was steel cased. Seems that brass was in short supply so they made steel ammo in .45, .30 Carbine, and .30-06. If it was so terrible and hard on weapons I doubt that they would have used it. The steel in the ammo is softer than your guns internals.
So no I don't shoot it alot. But if it comes to only having Monarch steel for practice or no practice I have no problems shooting it. I've had a couple of hundred rounds through several of my guns and no problems. And yes it does make the gun smell. So I scrub it down a little better.