Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   1911 Forums (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Taurus ALR (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170242)

Ian 01-13-2010 12:18

Taurus ALR

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47917

Honest opinions please

ronin.45 01-13-2010 12:48

Probably just as crappy as the normal pt1911

Mayhem like Me 01-13-2010 12:50

Get a springer lightweight in that range...better gun

sns3guppy 01-13-2010 12:58

Ian,

Let me say first I haven't shot, and don't own, a Taurus 1911.

I recently handled one, however, and was very unimpressed. Having handled it, I had no desire to shoot it. Looking at the page which is linked, a series of custom features are cited, with comparable costs.

Taurus cites a full length guide rod with reverse plug; this isn't a benefit.

Taurus cites a serrated slide rear and front...by this they mean the cocking serrations, and not actually a serrated rear of the slide. The serrations on the Taurus are wide, and useless on the front...where serrations should not be. Serrations on the front of the slide were a fad about ten years ago, but do little more than tear up the holster.

Taurus cites 30 lpi checkering; their checkering is unimpressive...and do you really need the trigger guard checkered on a 1911?

The ambi-safety on the tauri I handled were spongy and had excess play, and weren't well fit to the weapon. Not exactly a plus.

The beavertail on the tauri were poorly fitted, and again, not really quality work.

Skeletonized hammers and triggers aren't exactly custom pieces today. Simply having a hole in something doesn't make it a better part, and can't really be used to call it comparable to a custom piece. Taurus cites those two features as being worth sixty and a hundred dollars each, however. Perhaps if you wisely replace the components supplied by Taurus...you might have to spend that to bring the parts up to spec. Perhaps that's what they mean.

The hundred dollar trigger job is a bit of a puzzler, because the Taurus 1911 certainly doesn't have a trigger that could be called reflective of having had a trigger job, and if they were to claim as much, it certainly wouldn't be worth a hundred dollars. Perhaps, again, they mean you can spend a hundred to get someone to do something about their trigger. I suspect you'll spend a lot more than that, however.

The "custom fit barrel" and "air-gauged bushing" aren't custom, and appear to be drop-in parts from a bin. Any gauging appear to have been conducted as "the long thing fits through the hole."

Custom slide to frame fit? Not.

Polished feed ramp and barrel throat...their dremel job is worth fifty bucks, so they say.

They suggest their "lowered and flared ejection port" is worth fifty bucks...but this assumes that one has to modify another firearm by lowering and flaring the ejection port. Given that nearly all 1911's come with a lowered and flared ejection port now...this seems rather redundant.

"Custom internal extractor," they say. What's "custom" about it?

Extended mag release button...not necessarily an advantage.

Beveled mag well...hard not to find a 1911 without a beveled mag well these days, isn't it? Sort of expected...like if it's not done, it's not finished. So to suggest it's worth something extra is...misleading.

Extra eight round magazine. They value it more than a good Tripp Research or Chip McCormick mag. They must really be proud of their magazine.

Now, a lot of those advertised features might be worth extra consideration if they weren't cheap parts, thrown together in a decidedly NOT custom way (overlooking the use of the word "custom" throughout their advertising, of course). The slide felt gritty...not sure how it was fit, but it wasn't done well. The trigger was heavy, gritty, with takeup, overtravel, and not really an exciting break. The entire firearm felt fairly cheap.

I'm sure others will have more detailed information to offer about actually shooting it or owning it, and I can't speak to that end. I was unimpressed enough it was as far as I wanted to go with any of the Taurus models I handled.

faawrenchbndr 01-13-2010 13:02

You can put a pig in a dress, but, it's still a pig.

sns3guppy 01-13-2010 13:16

I forgot to mention that the gigantic ridiculous roll-marks down the side of the slide make it look like an airsoft pistol.

3rdgen40 01-13-2010 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 14537528)
You can put a pig in a dress, but, it's still a pig.

Yeah, an over priced pig.:supergrin:

RonS 01-13-2010 17:44

Damn, and I was eating when I clicked the link.

Quack 01-13-2010 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonS (Post 14539132)
Damn, and I was eating when I clicked the link.

tastes better coming up doesn't it? :rofl:

Ruggles 01-13-2010 20:07

Seems to be a love or hate brand of 1911.

bac1023 01-13-2010 20:24

:puking:

That says it all. :whistling:

dakrat 01-13-2010 20:37

I would take an RIA 1911 over taurus

bac1023 01-13-2010 20:46

Holy cow, I just realized that, for me, its the worst trifecta imaginable in a 1911. :shocked:

Number one, its a Taurus

Number two, its got a rail

And number three, its aluminum

:rofl:

Hell, someone would have to pay me to take that thing. :rofl::rofl:

Walter 01-14-2010 05:15

Darn!!!!

I must've gotten a lemon Taurus then because my Stainless PT1911 has been flawless, 1200 rounds thru it without a hiccup.

Maybe I should send it back to the factory and get it replaced with one of the ones you guys are talking about!

Why do most people like to put down a gun that they've only seen or read about but haven't fired themselves?

I replaced the ambi-safety with an STI left hand safety and put Pachmyrs on it but otherwise it's a great stock 1911.

I truly hate gun snobs. If it's not a Kimber, STI, etc, etc, it's automatically a piece of garbage according to some people. Well, some folks cannot afford a $2000+ 1911; it my $630 Taurus functions flawlessly when I pull the trigger and does what I require of it without any problems, why is it a "pig"? Nobody ever heard of a Kimber that wasn't perfect? I'll bet Kimber's Customer Service Dept is manned by the same lonely guy who worked for Maytag years ago. And Springfield Arms probably doesn't even have/need a Customer Service Dept.

It's supposed to be about the fun and enjoyment of shooting. Why can't everyone just be happy for a person who got a new gun without putting them down? Just because you may own a big name gun does not give you the right to bash someone who doesn't. If you haven't owned and fired a gun, you have very little right to bash it.

I don't care what you've read; there are just as many people satisfied with their "pig". Many people are quick to write about a bad experience buy many more, with great experiences, rarely pick up a pen.

I think the gun snobs are just jealous that they got took for $2000+ when a $650 1911 would have been just as good.

bac1023 01-14-2010 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter (Post 14542197)
I think the gun snobs are just jealous that they got took for $2000+ when a $650 1911 would have been just as good.

OK then.

So I assume your PT1911 is as good as a Wilson CQB?

My opinion is that its not even as good as a $400 RIA or Firestorm.

I think the PT is actually $100-$150 overpriced for the quality you get.

bac1023 01-14-2010 05:56

Quote:

It's supposed to be about the fun and enjoyment of shooting. Why can't everyone just be happy for a person who got a new gun without putting them down?

That's easy.

Many people have been burned by Taurus' sub par quality control, cheap, poorly fitted parts, and/or horrific customer service.

To me, its unacceptable. I feel Taurus makes a few good handguns, but the 1911 isn't one of them.

faawrenchbndr 01-14-2010 07:05

Quote:

....Why do most people like to put down a gun that they've only seen or read about but haven't fired themselves?.....

What part of the OP's request for "Honest opinions please" did you NOT understand?!

Here's the deal,....
I've worked for many years, long hours, away from home to give
me the oportunity to own a weapon of a quality that my wife and
childs well being deserves. I demand a quality firearm that I have
the utmost trust in to protect life when it is needed most.

A Taurus, in my eyes, does not have the quality or the reliability
to live up to my standards. A poor quality product with known
inferior materials is a disaster waiting to happen.

Furthermore,...if I can drive to work in a Cadillac versus a KIA,.......
Need I explain more?

A pig in a dime store dress is still a pig!
My apologies if that offends you, sux for that to happen.

faawrenchbndr 01-14-2010 07:12

dup post,........apologies.

ilgunguygt 01-14-2010 08:59

Quote:

I must've gotten a lemon Taurus then because my Stainless PT1911 has been flawless, 1200 rounds thru it without a hiccup.

Maybe I should send it back to the factory and get it replaced with one of the ones you guys are talking about!

Why do most people like to put down a gun that they've only seen or read about but haven't fired themselves?

I replaced the ambi-safety with an STI left hand safety and put Pachmyrs on it but otherwise it's a great stock 1911.

I truly hate gun snobs. If it's not a Kimber, STI, etc, etc, it's automatically a piece of garbage according to some people. Well, some folks cannot afford a $2000+ 1911; it my $630 Taurus functions flawlessly when I pull the trigger and does what I require of it without any problems, why is it a "pig"? Nobody ever heard of a Kimber that wasn't perfect? I'll bet Kimber's Customer Service Dept is manned by the same lonely guy who worked for Maytag years ago. And Springfield Arms probably doesn't even have/need a Customer Service Dept.

It's supposed to be about the fun and enjoyment of shooting. Why can't everyone just be happy for a person who got a new gun without putting them down? Just because you may own a big name gun does not give you the right to bash someone who doesn't. If you haven't owned and fired a gun, you have very little right to bash it.

I don't care what you've read; there are just as many people satisfied with their "pig". Many people are quick to write about a bad experience buy many more, with great experiences, rarely pick up a pen.

You want honesty? I owned one, and my uncle owned two. We both sold them. The safety fell off of mine, and would have fallen of his too, if he wouldnt have replaced it before it could. The guns part fitment looked like it was done by a rabid four year old with a bastard file. The checkering was crooked and uneven. The trigger was full of slop and broke well above 6-7 pounds. Its a junk gun.

I recently bought a RIA officers model and can honestly say that it is a world better. 100% better gun. I wouldnt recommend a taurus 1911 to anyone, period.

PlasticGuy 01-14-2010 09:00

POS with an aluminum frame and a rail. There are a lot of better 1911's, but few worse. I used to be a gun manager at a large sporting goods store, and the Taurus 1911's had the highest warranty return rate of any handgun we sold.

I'd buy a lightweight Springfield Operator. It's a much better pistol, and just a little more money.