Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Into Uncharted Waters: SBR (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171018)

doc540 01-15-2010 08:36

Into Uncharted Waters: SBR

I'm jumping through all the required hoops so my new Sabre Defence lower can consumate its relationship with my new SD 11.5" upper.

pics soon

Looks just like this but without the perm front sight. Has fold down front and rear BUIS.

http://ee.ar15.com/uploadImages/2009...72007_File.jpg

Further development of my hurricane zombie home defense system.

Jon_R 01-15-2010 09:19

I am about 2 months into my wait on a SBR Tax Stamp. Not sure how long it takes but my first build is a 10" 9MM AR. I don't have any of it other then the stripped lower at this point. I need to send it out to get engraved.

Did you do a Trust setup?

doc540 01-15-2010 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_R (Post 14549858)
I am about 2 months into my wait on a SBR Tax Stamp. Not sure how long it takes but my first build is a 10" 9MM AR. I don't have any of it other then the stripped lower at this point. I need to send it out to get engraved.

Do you do a Trust setup?

Yep, going the Trust route.

Archer-one 01-15-2010 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc540 (Post 14550018)
Yep, going the Trust route.

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but what does "Trust" mean?
I'm new to all this and just started dabbling into the terrible "black rifle" thing. :cool:

DScottHewitt 01-15-2010 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer-one (Post 14550275)
Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but what does "Trust" mean?
I'm new to all this and just started dabbling into the terrible "black rifle" thing. :cool:

It somewhat simplifies the NFA/AOW process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

NFA items may also be transferred to corporations (or other legal entities such as a trust). When the paperwork to request transfer of an NFA item is initiated by an officer of a corporation, a signature from local law enforcement is not required, and fingerprint cards and photographs do not need to be submitted with the transfer request. Therefore, an individual who lives in a location where the chief law enforcement officer will not sign a transfer form can still own an NFA item if he or she owns a corporation. This method has downsides, though, since it is the corporation (and not the principal) that owns the firearm. Thus, if the corporation ever dissolves, it must transfer its NFA firearms to the owners. This event would be considered a new transfer and would be subject to a new transfer tax.

KDawg0007 01-15-2010 12:15

It is simple if you do your homework and set the trust up properly. At least that's what I am told. I am dancing all around the pool but am anxious to jump in.

Congrats on taking the plunge and good luck, I'll be joining in soon.

kdcgrohl 01-15-2010 12:38

Filling out my second sbr paperwork now(first sbr AR)... So exciting lol, just had my passport pics done today.

doc540 01-15-2010 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdcgrohl (Post 14550958)
Filling out my second sbr paperwork now(first sbr AR)... So exciting lol, just had my passport pics done today.

I hope your avatar isn't one of them.:rofl:

Archer-one 01-15-2010 14:29

Thanks for clearing that up. I've heard of that, it may be a route to consider.

lawman800 01-15-2010 23:21

Don't matter... NFA tax stamp or not or trust or individual, SBRs are out of the question for us trapped behind enemy lines in Kommiefornistan. I think we can get SBS and AOW though.

Javelin 01-16-2010 11:29

Congrats. I've got to warn you that your other ARs will be jealous and probably not even see the light of day very often after you get your SBR.

:wavey:

HomeLandPatriot 01-16-2010 11:51

I bought a rifle with eventually SBR'ing it down the road in mind......

can one just buy and install the shorter barrel, then apply for the tax stamp and when it comes through designate the now shorter barreled rifle as an sbr?

or must one buy an sbr upper?

Jon_R 01-16-2010 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeLandPatriot (Post 14556830)

can one just buy and install the shorter barrel, then apply for the tax stamp and when it comes through designate the now shorter barreled rifle as an sbr?

I would not posses an AR barrel that is short without having some valid explanation on how I would legally use it or have the tax stamp. In my case I have a couple virgin AR stripped lowers. I could honestly claim my barrel or upper is for a pistol build while I wait on my tax stamp. It is pretty low risk if you never take it out of your house. ATF would have to show up with a warrant to search you guns before it could be an issue but having a Short Upper next to a lower without a tax stamp and no place else you could legally use it might be "constructive intent".

NeverMore1701 01-16-2010 14:38

My plan is to start the build as a pistol while the paperwork is being processed, and then just slap on a regular carbine tube and stock when the stamp comes in.

But that's still a ways down the line.

JK-linux 01-16-2010 14:43

It would cool if someone started a "closed" thread documenting their experiences in getting a SBR permit, buying the weapon, etc... The process seems a bit overwhelming, so I've been tempted, but never tried.

Hef 01-16-2010 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeLandPatriot (Post 14556830)

No. That would be an unregistered SBR. Even owning a lower receiver (stripped or complete) and a short barrel upper (whether sold as a pistol upper or not) would be considered an unregistered SBR.

Apply, wait for tax stamp, then build.

I'm waiting on my tax stamp for a 10.5" AR SBR. My examiner told me that they're really busy so it will be a few months.

Glockdude1 01-16-2010 15:00

Caution:

When entering the world of NFA, it gets ADDICTIVE!!

Red ALL the boxes.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...zombies011.jpg

:cool:

highprimer 01-16-2010 21:27

HAHA

I wonder if the person approving your form giggled a bit to themselves.

lawman800 01-17-2010 03:28

That's awesome... I guess the examiner on your case also is prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Jon_R 01-17-2010 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hef (Post 14557794)
No. That would be an unregistered SBR. Even owning a lower receiver (stripped or complete) and a short barrel upper (whether sold as a pistol upper or not) would be considered an unregistered SBR.

Apply, wait for tax stamp, then build.

I'm waiting on my tax stamp for a 10.5" AR SBR. My examiner told me that they're really busy so it will be a few months.

If you have a virgin stripped lower you can build a pistol out of it if you wanted. To do so (if a pistol AR is legal in your area) would not require a SBR Tax Stamp.

doc540 01-17-2010 08:39

Did the paperwork yesterday for the trust and the tax stamp.

In the mail tomorrow, so now it's just wait and shop for mod's.

That Noveske Flaming Pig looks like a good idea.

internal 01-17-2010 09:24

So are passports the only approved photo's that can go on a Form 1?

lawman800 01-17-2010 09:30

Just don't use the pics of you and your girlfriend from the carnival photo booth.

internal 01-17-2010 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawman800 (Post 14562352)
Just don't use the pics of you and your girlfriend from the carnival photo booth.

Was that a yes or a no?

kiole 01-17-2010 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by internal (Post 14562318)
So are passports the only approved photo's that can go on a Form 1?

I took photos of myself against a white wall and cropped them to the proper size printed them out and glued them on the form. Had absolutely no issues.