Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Best value piston driven AR? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171634)

Eric2340 01-16-2010 19:51

Best value piston driven AR?
 
Who's got the best value in a GOOD, HIGH QUALITY piston driven AR out there currently?

I had a regular gas injection Bushmaster years ago, but got rid of it, the piston driven guns started coming out not long after that. :( I looked at their gun, $1500 and up is a bit more than I want to spend. :(

I see Ruger is asking $2K for theirs - no thanks. :(


Other suggestions?


I have a Kel Tec SU16 that's piston op, but I really kind of worry if it's as tough as a piston AR or even a Mini 14?


Thanks -

Eric

furioso2112 01-16-2010 20:12

I don't know enough about them to say if they are worth it, but Bushmaster makes a $400-ish piston system that can be used in place of the gas system on a typical AR. Build an with the system, and you can likely keep your cost under $1000 (parts build an economical AR minus the cost of the parts you don't need (as they are replaced by the piston system - like the gas tube/gas block, etc.), plus the cost of the piston conversion system). Midway had a sale price of $399 IIRC on the Bushy gas conversion system a couple days ago, probably still in effect. I don't know if that is a competitive price on the system or not, but it is a reference point.

I bought a Sig556 (it's piston-driven action) and soon after bought an AR as I wanted the parts interchangeability and options that the AR platform offers. I considered selling the Sig, but then I cleaned it and remembered how easy it is to clean, what a nice quality the components are, and how low the market is right now...so I have decided to keep it.

BTW - nice avatar!

Eric2340 01-16-2010 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by furioso2112 (Post 14559336)
I don't know enough about them to say if they are worth it, but Bushmaster makes a $400-ish piston system that can be used in place of the gas system on a typical AR. Build an with the system, and you can likely keep your cost under $1000 (parts build an economical AR minus the cost of the parts you don't need (as they are replaced by the piston system - like the gas tube/gas block, etc.), plus the cost of the piston conversion system). Midway had a sale price of $399 IIRC on the Bushy gas conversion system a couple days ago, probably still in effect. I don't know if that is a competitive price on the system or not, but it is a reference point.

I bought a Sig556 (it's piston-driven action) and soon after bought an AR as I wanted the parts interchangeability and options that the AR platform offers. I considered selling the Sig, but then I cleaned it and remembered how easy it is to clean, what a nice quality the components are, and how low the market is right now...so I have decided to keep it.

BTW - nice avatar!


I considered that (just buying a Bushy piston upper and building a gun) but I figured by the time I got done doing that and getting it tricked out the way I wanted it after starting from scratch (w/ all Bushy parts mind you) I would not be that far off from the price of their gun (turn key version).

I wish now I had just kept my old 16 Bushy AK carbine :(, all I would have needed would have been a complete piston upper, an M4 style stock, and some sights. :( Oh well.


Thanks on the avatar. Not too many people can name him. :)

hardeyes 01-16-2010 20:47

Hello;

Look into the LMT MRP.

hardeyes

Flinter 01-16-2010 21:51

Why Bushmaster? Why not try a quality AR from one of the better makers before worrying about the pistol system. LMT, BCM, LaRue, etc.

johnny00 01-17-2010 00:31

Another vote for the LMT Piston MRP....

up1911fan 01-17-2010 00:37

I've seen the Rugers for around $1425, a little heavy though.

highprimer 01-17-2010 01:01

Everyone I have known to bought one of the CMMG piston rifles/uppers is very happy with them, and complete rifles come in at just 1k.

I've only gotten to paw one, and never fired one but they seem to be built very well.

Eric2340 01-17-2010 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flinter (Post 14560029)
Why Bushmaster? Why not try a quality AR from one of the better makers before worrying about the pistol system. LMT, BCM, LaRue, etc.


Thank you, but no thank you.

Sorry, I am of the "piston driven upper AR" crowd and do not wish to debate the pros and cons of the two designs in this thread. I am only looking for info on piston driven guns here, but thank you again for your info. :)


I had no issues w/ the quality of the Bushy traditional gas injected gun I had, I merely rushed into the purchase uninformed around '99, got a gun w/ a less than 16" barrel I was not happy w/, an AK brake that was REALLY loud, got stuck then w/ a traditional A2 stock I did not want, and a non-flat top upper I did not want either.

All my fault, all made in one of those "gotta have one" decision purchases. :)

I would have dumped the gun regardless b/c the price of correcting everything I did not like about the gun was pretty close to the price of correcting it w/ another traditional gas injected gun when I sold it in '06 or so. :(

Thanks again though. :)

Eric2340 01-17-2010 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by up1911fan (Post 14560839)
I've seen the Rugers for around $1425, a little heavy though.

HHmmmmm................

I'm still not a Ruger fan either way, but even at that price I'd still be more tempted to lean towards a Mini 14 if it were not for the expense of mags and the fact that it will not accept the seven 30 round AR mags I already have for the KT SU16. :(

I know I need to get over my hard on for Ruger products, but I guess I just still have a problem w/ that ever time I look at all the pre-ban G22 mags I bought before the sunset, but that is for another thread altogether............ :(

Eric2340 01-17-2010 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny00 (Post 14560820)
Another vote for the LMT Piston MRP....


Yow, a lot more than what I wanted to spend, and I thought the Bushy guns were high. :(


Maybe I am being un-realistic about this, in looking to do this for less than $1200 or so for a complete gun? :(


At that kind of $$ I'd rather do one of a couple things to see if they work -

1. Torture test my KT SU16 to see how far it can be pushed and buy a second one then if it makes it (hey I'm not going to fight a war w/ the thing, I've got AKs and an M1A for that :) past what I am comfortable with.

2. Dump the KT and AR mags and go get a couple of Mini 14s and a whole bunch of mags.

3. Sell my KT and my 870 and go buy a nice 1187P and the softest shooting loads it will still function with.


Part of this plan is something to supplement my HD gun for in a long gun that I KNOW my old lady can shoot also if I am not here besides my 870 (which is too much for her and too much to reload quickly and easily under stress), and won't tear though the outer CBS of the house like one of the AKs will. A pistol caliber carbine scares me for zipping through 4" sheet rock too much too. :( That leaves low recoil to smaller sized buckshot, a 12 ga or smaller SG, or a mag fed .223 gun. I figuring the easiest thing for her is a mag fed .223 gun and a bunch of spare mags?

Thanks -

12131 01-17-2010 03:54

Quote:

Maybe I am being un-realistic about this, in looking to do this for less than $1200 or so for a complete gun? :(
Then maybe you want to check out CMMG piston AR. I'm not making recommendation. Just letting you know, based on your price limit.

nipperwolf 01-17-2010 07:12

There are STAG Arms piston models on Gunbroker for under $1100. I have no experience with them, though.

phxfa 01-17-2010 10:39

Love my LMT,,better then my LWRC :cool::cool:

internal 01-17-2010 10:42

I know I'm probably a bit off base in your request but the extra money that a piston driven AR brings could pay for all the legalities for owning an SBR (assuming you live in a SBR friendly state).

Seriously, you could have a badass 10.5-11.5" DI AR15 for the price of a standard 16" retrofitted piston system in an AR.

Quiet 01-17-2010 10:51

You'll be very hard pressed to find a high quality gas-piston AR for under $1500.


ADDAX, LMT, LWRC and Barrett make great high quality gas-piston ARs.
However, their gas-piston AR uppers start in the $1300 range and complete ARs are in the $2000+ range.

pleaforwar 01-17-2010 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet (Post 14562450)
You'll be very hard pressed to find a high quality gas-piston AR for under $1500.


ADDAX, LMT, LWRC and Barrett make great high quality gas-piston ARs.
However, their gas-piston AR uppers start in the $1300 range and complete ARs are in the $2000+ range.

Thank you very much for mentioning our product. :cool:

We actually have our ATAC MK-1 gas piston upper currently marked at $1175. The OP can purchase a complete lower and still be under his original <$1500 price point.


My personal ATAC MK-1:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/...ongstroke5.jpg

And here is a link with all the information about this piston upper:
Addax ATAC MK1

phxfa 01-17-2010 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet (Post 14562450)
You'll be very hard pressed to find a high quality gas-piston AR for under $1500.


ADDAX, LMT, LWRC and Barrett make great high quality gas-piston ARs.
However, their gas-piston AR uppers start in the $1300 range and complete ARs are in the $2000+ range.

I just bought (from G&R tactical) a 12 inch LMT piston MRP for $1580.00. prices are definitely coming down

thisaway 01-17-2010 11:45

CMMG offers their complete piston AR for $999, and the upper only for $675. I intend to buy a good lower, and then get the CMMG upper for it, when my funds permit.

Stag offers their piston AR for about $1100, and the SIG 516 is supposed to be competitve to this (whenever they become available).

Quiet 01-17-2010 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleaforwar (Post 14562585)
We actually have our ATAC MK-1 gas piston upper currently marked at $1175. The OP can purchase a complete lower and still be under his original <$1500 price point.

This is a very good deal for a well built quality gas-piston AR upper.
(didn't know the price got lowered)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.