Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kalashnikov Klub (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   7.62 or 5.45....74 or 47... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175533)

vrex 01-25-2010 12:48

7.62 or 5.45....74 or 47...

Just curious as to which one most would prefer and why. The heavier round seems more suited to the AK design, yet I have seen vids of guys shooting the ak74 with no muzzle rise or recoil whatsoever. Not many discussions on this, and it seems like a viable topic.....

jamesavery22 01-25-2010 14:52

Which ever allows you to train more.

Jmzzl 01-25-2010 15:22

I've never shot an AK-74, but I have an AK-47. From what I hear, each have thier pros and cons. Alot of it depends on the round. That's probably the biggest difference between the two rifles. 7.62 has more recoil, and packs a bigger punch. 5.45 has less recoil, but isn't as powerful a round as the 7.62. I think the caliber just depends on your preference, because I think they are pretty much the same rifle. My AK is a WASR-10 in 7.62. Ammo is cheap and plentiful around here, and recoil isnt really an issue with me. I love my AK.

But, again, that's just my opinion, and what I've read around here. As I said, I've never even laid eyes on an AK-74, let alone shot one, so I could very well be wrong.

CarlosC 01-25-2010 15:39

They're about the same to me, although you wouldn't know it by my lopsided collection with all but two shooting the 7.62x39. They each have their merits as has been mentioned already. I'll probably get a few more AKMs and at least one AK-47, then start collecting AK-74s more aggressively. In the AK-74 world, there really isn't as much variety to choose from as there is with AKMs. You're pretty much going to get a SAR (Romanian), Tantal (Polish), Saiga SGL series (Russian), or one of the many Bulgarian variants.

LEAD 01-25-2010 16:05

74 = cheaper ammo, flatter trajectory, less ammo variety, not for game.

47 = more money, harder hitting, more availability (you can get it made by american companies not named after animals) you could take game with it with the right ammo.

vrex 01-25-2010 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosC (Post 14618906)
They're about the same to me, although you wouldn't know it by my lopsided collection with all but two shooting the 7.62x39. They each have their merits as has been mentioned already. I'll probably get a few more AKMs and at least one AK-47, then start collecting AK-74s more aggressively. In the AK-74 world, there really isn't as much variety to choose from as there is with AKMs. You're pretty much going to get a SAR (Romanian), Tantal (Polish), Saiga SGL series (Russian), or one of the many Bulgarian variants.

Carlos I'm trying to think what my next AK should be, I have really good AK mags (radoms, Bulgarian already0 I just purchased a sgl20 Arsenal, I like it even though the front sight post has to be all the way left for a zero. My Yugo M70 is just sweet.....

I have seriously been considering a Lancaster arms 74 build, I have heard nothing but good things about them, so for me its between that and the yugo M72 RPK. Always wanted one...just because....

Nicoroshi 01-25-2010 17:12

I vote AK47 in 7.62x39.
I own three, and love them.
My vote is biased though as I don't yet own an AK-74 (I am eyeballing kits to rebuild though....).
I figured (for now) if I want a smaller round with flatter fight path I'll shoot my ARs.

Kalmah 01-25-2010 19:42

AK's are for 7.62. If you want something in a smaller, faster caliber, get an AR.

Just my 2 cents.

gp35fn 01-28-2010 00:09

Shot my first 7.62x39mm AK in the 1970's the 5.45x39mm AK in the 1990's, own quite a few of each and have fired thousands of rounds out of both calibers, if I had to pick one it would be the 5.45x39mm same caliber the Afghan Mujahideen nicknamed "the poison bullet"-it does the job.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/P7070004.jpg

GIockGuy24 01-28-2010 03:44

Both Finland and Yugoslavia did quite a bit of testing of smaller calibers and never felt warm and fuzzy about them. The Russians weren't happy with the 5.45's performance in urban combat areas in Chechnya and requested 7.62x39 AK's for troops there. The Russians developed a special bullet for urban combat in 7.62x39. It has a flat base lead core, both features that reduce ricochets over boat tail and steel core bullets. 5.45 has less recoil, less weight and seems slightly more accurate which may make it more enjoyable to shoot. Recent testing has shown that 22 caliber rifle bullets that don't expand and don't break up have about the same wounding effect as handgun bullets and yaw and tumble don't benefit 22 caliber rifle bullets as much as 30 caliber rifle bullets.

rich52us 01-28-2010 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 (Post 14635907)
Both Finland and Yugoslavia did quite a bit of testing of smaller calibers and never felt warm and fuzzy about them. The Russians weren't happy with the 5.45's performance in urban combat areas in Chechnya and requested 7.62x39 AK's for troops there. The Russians developed a special bullet for urban combat in 7.62x39. It has a flat base lead core, both features that reduce ricochets over boat tail and steel core bullets. 5.45 has less recoil, less weight and seems slightly more accurate which may make it more enjoyable to shoot. Recent testing has shown that 22 caliber rifle bullets that don't expand and don't break up have about the same wounding effect as handgun bullets and yaw and tumble don't benefit 22 caliber rifle bullets as much as 30 caliber rifle bullets.

Interesting information. Thanks for posting it.

It's based on military applications. I wonder how it would carry over to civilian SHTF situations.

Asmodeus6 01-29-2010 05:33

Everything I have is 7.62x39mm. However the next AK I get will be 5.45.

If I had to start from scratch today I would get a 5.45 AK. And I'd order a PILE of ammo.

Novocaine 01-31-2010 03:46

If you're going to hunt with it get 7.62 X 39. If not, get 5.45. Well, there is one thing to consider: in all the likelihood 7.62 X 39 barrel will outlast 5.45 X 39.

You should treat the claims along the lines of "Russian troops want 7.62 X 39 back" the same as "US troops want .308 back" i.e. as mostly BS. I get a chuckle out of “troops prefer this, troops prefer that”. Russian troops prefer what is issued to them by the Ministry of Defense. And the Ministry of Defense is very much happy with 5.45, is phasing out AKMs as fast as the money allows and is not looking back.

The development of 7.62 X 39 “urban” round has nothing to do with a rekindled popularity. Fact of the matter is this particular 7.62 X 39 is just a part of a recently developed “low ricochet” ammo line that includes ALL small-arms calibers currently in employ by the Russian Military/ LE, from Makarov to Mosin. Exception being 9 X 39 which is considered inherently low ricocheting. This ammo line, coded PRS, was designed by Barnaul primarily with AKS-74U and 9mm Para sub-guns in mind and Ministry of Interior, not the army, being the customer. To my knowledge 7.62 X 39 PRS had never even been officially accepted, let alone issued. 5.45 PRS is at least authorized by the Ministry of Interior for some people like Court bailiffs.