Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 10 Ring (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I just don't get it. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176224)

JTLIII 01-26-2010 22:25

I just don't get it.

I own a Glock 21 and have since I turned 21 ( i'm 24 now). I recently saw a deal for a 10mm conversion barrel for it so I went ahead and picked it up. it is a very nice stainless steal Lone WOlf barrel. I also bought a glock 20 mag and a box of 10mm. AFter paying the $30 for the box of 50 and bringing it out to the range, I was not impressed. What differences should I notice from the standard 45 round I normally shoot?

AJE 01-27-2010 00:35

It feels less like a handgun and more like a hand held cannon, for starters.

What kind of 10mm did you get? If it's not Double Tap (I'm guessing it's not), then try it first. Most factory 10mm is not loaded at all close to it's potential.

527varmint 01-27-2010 01:33

Yeah boss unless you shoot double tap or buffalo bore its a joke should just shoot .40 smith and wesson.

If you can't afford that you can shoot georgia arms canned heat or freakshow manufacturing ammo. They are loaded alot hotter then average but not full power.

You gotta shoot double tap or reload to get the real deal. reloading is the best option since double tap is INSANE prices. No one I know could ever afford to shoot DT other tehn self defence. A few rounds to know it works and just carry it for when the SHTF. Good luck. You really should of just got a g-20 IMHO there are some issues with converting the 21. Yeah it works but you should do a search on here and read about it but hey, welcome to the 10mm club! after you shoot some hot loads you'll probably want that g-20

FreeAmerican 01-27-2010 11:10

Yeah, you just have not shot full house 10mm. 180 gr at 1250 fps will wake you up. Not to mention in 10mm you can easily go up to 200 gr or even 230.

G33 01-27-2010 13:06

Was it UMC or Eagle ammo?
Those are loaded a hair over .40 S&W.
:whistling::supergrin:

AGoodGuy 01-27-2010 14:18

In order to really "get it," you need to shoot something breathing... something that pissed off and trying to hurt you. That's when you'll understand the difference between 10mm and .45acp. Until then, the only real difference you'll note is recoil and only then if you shoot higher pressure ammo as others have suggested.

hill billy 01-27-2010 14:45

Go shoot some 180 gr moving over 1300 fps. You'll notice the difference in your hands AND your ears. :supergrin:

Free Radical 01-27-2010 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTLIII (Post 14628341)
I own a Glock 21 and have since I turned 21 ( i'm 24 now). I recently saw a deal for a 10mm conversion barrel for it so I went ahead and picked it up. it is a very nice stainless steal Lone WOlf barrel. I also bought a glock 20 mag and a box of 10mm. AFter paying the $30 for the box of 50 and bringing it out to the range, I was not impressed. What differences should I notice from the standard 45 round I normally shoot?

A properly loaded 10mm. (see other reply's) is a hard hitting, flat shooting round that is still deadly at 100 yards. Show me another common auto loader that can make that claim. OK, OK, there is the Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. and the Coonan in .357 Mag. , but neither is exactly common. Once again, proper 10mm. ammo has about half again the muzzle energy of a .45ACP and about half again the velocity. Get some Double Tap 135gr. Nosler and get back to me. :supergrin:

agtman 01-28-2010 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbala (Post 14631792)
A properly loaded 10mm. (see other reply's) is a hard hitting, flat shooting round that is still deadly at 100 yards. Show me another common auto loader that can make that claim. OK, OK, there is the Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. and the Coonan in .357 Mag. , but neither is exactly common. *** :supergrin:

Not only that, but you have to remember the original "size" goal in designing a 10mm autloader: Cooper and D&D took what was (back in the day) arguably the "best" of the 9mm DA/SA autos - a CZ 75 - and fed it steroids, i.e., enlarged the frame and adopted a modified Sig 210 slide to handle the higher pressures of the 10mm and came up with a 5" platform that was no larger than a full-size 1911.

The goal was always to create what was essentially the first magnum autoloading cartridge that could be stuffed inside a semi-automatic pistol of reasonable size and weight.

Here and there, you'll see a lot of internet smart-asses retorting with a comment about how a Desert Eagle or Wildey is "just the same as" a full-sized 10mm pistol. :upeyes: But all the Desert Eagles, Wildeys, Automags and other pants-drooping behemoths, although they shoot very powerful magnum cartridges, are disqualified by their huge size and weight.

Typically, how many people carry a Desert Eagle or Wildey for duty use or CCW? ... versus, say, a 5" 10mm Colt Delta or S&W 1006? The Deagles and Wildeys are basically limited to being range guns, but otherwise impractical for daily carry on the street or even out in the boonies.

The Coonan, in .357 magnum on a 1911-platform, is pretty close to meeting that reasonable size & weight condition. And the new Vltor Standard Model Bren is 5", same as the original, while the Special Forces model is a 4.25" slide on a full-size frame.

Then it only gets easier: there are the other 4.25" "Commander"-class 10mms, like a Smith 1076s/1086s or CZ Bobtail 1911. Then there are the smaller (dare we call them "Officer"-class 10mms?), such as the Glock 29s and, if you really have to default to one, the compact Tanfoglio Witnesses.

Even a lot of "full-size" 10mms today sport a factory tube under 5", e.g., the G20.

:cool:

bac1023 01-28-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTLIII (Post 14628341)

You shot some weak 10mm.

69stingray 01-28-2010 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 14640420)
You shot some weak 10mm.

bac's right most is little better than .40 s&w, shoot some Double Tap or Buffalo Bore before you pass judgement

PBRLite 01-29-2010 17:57

.......You really should of just got a g-20 IMHO there are some issues with converting the 21. Yeah it works but you should do a search on here and read about it but hey, welcome to the 10mm club! after you shoot some hot loads you'll probably want that g-20[/QUOTE]

I have done this "conversion" as well with just a standard G-20 lonewolf barrel and a mag change and have had nothing but good luck with it. I didn't even swap out the extractor. If you have any links about the "problems" please post them so I can read up on it. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, to the OP, ditto on the Double Tap, or start rolling your own.

Iceman cHucK 01-30-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbala (Post 14631792)
A properly loaded 10mm. (see other reply's) is a hard hitting, flat shooting round that is still deadly at 100 yards. Show me another common auto loader that can make that claim. OK, OK, there is the Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. and the Coonan in .357 Mag. , but neither is exactly common. Once again, proper 10mm. ammo has about half again the muzzle energy of a .45ACP and about half again the velocity. Get some Double Tap 135gr. Nosler and get back to me. :supergrin:

45Super in a 1911 or S&W4506 using BuffaloBore ammo is as hot as most 10mms in my opinion, and I have them both.

460 Rowland in a 1911 surpasses the 10mm and is the equal of the 44 Magnum.

agtman 01-30-2010 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman cHucK (Post 14649933)
45Super in a 1911 or S&W4506 using BuffaloBore ammo is as hot as most 10mms in my opinion, and I have them both.
460 Rowland in a 1911 surpasses the 10mm and is the equal of the 44 Magnum.

The lack of the ready availability of 45Super and 460 Rowland ammo, as well as the spendy price for both, makes 10mm ammo look like the .22 l.r. by comparison. :upeyes:

And that's before you factor-in the cost of a conversion (at least w/ .45Super). :shocked:

:cool:

MakeMineA10mm 01-30-2010 18:00

Yes, you shot over-the-counter ammo, which is almost universally loaded to 40S&W pressures. Part of this is because Bren Tens are still out there and are susceptible to slide cracking from shooting heavy loads; part of this is because the FBI Wound Ballistics Laboratory told us that velocity/energy don't matter - only penetration and expansion; and lastly, I think it's CHEAPER for the companies to produce (and then sell at a higher price).

I think for your 45 to 10mm conversion, you should AVOID DoubleTap and Buffalo Bore ammo. As 527Varmint pointed out, there are some sacrifices/compromises you've made by getting the conversion barrel. They are described in the article at this link:

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx...ge_Information

527varmint 02-01-2010 17:53

yeah that article covers it. I think you can find some of the same info on GT if you search for it.

Glocks are cheap as heck and last a lifetime don't see any reason not to buy another one. Compared to the cost of ammo these days guns are quite cheap unless you get into some real fancy stuff. This applies to any sort of gun. When its 50 cents to a dollar a shot a 600 dollar gun is just a drop in the bucket IMHO. This is coming from a guy with no job for the last 2 years.