Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sights, Optics and Lasers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Crimson Trace Laser Grip LG-417 and G19 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177431)

StoneRaven 01-29-2010 19:30

Crimson Trace Laser Grip LG-417 and G19

Originally scheduled for release (I believe) in March of 2009, the NEW Crimson Trace LG-417, for the Glock 17, 17L, 19, 22, 23, 32, 34, 35, 37, & 38 has started hitting retailer shelves.

I purchased one last Wednesday.

Installation went smoothly with a slight moment of hesitation in deciding which of the rear clamps to use on my G19. There are two (2) rear clamps include with the laser grips, and while I found the installation instructions to be thorough, the pictures that are included in the instruction that help you detrmine which rear clamp to use are rather small, and I did not find them very helpful. I simply tried on each of the clamps and used the one that felt like it fit the best.

The rear clamp that I settled on was the small (S) clamp as opposed to the large (L). I would be interested to know if others have installed this product and used the other clamp on a G19!

I co-witnessed the laser dot with the iron sights at 20 yards, but was unable to test the setup until this afternoon. My test was on 5" steel plates at 15 yards. The weather turned bad, and I was only able to get off 40 rounds before heavy rain set in. I was blown away by how well this product functioned.

For many individuals, somewhere around 40 years of age, close up vision starts to fail. I am one such individual. I simply can no longer bring the from sight of a pistol into sharp focus. I can see the fromt sight, but it's pretty fuzzy. Out past about an arms legnth, my vision is crystal clear. With the laser sight, I am able to concentrate on the target and my hit ratio increased DRAMATICALLY. I was hitting the target shooting form the hip!!!

I am 100% sold on the Criomson Trace LG-417. I will continue to monitor point of impact and zero retention as I put more round down range, but my initial impression is very, very favorable. So much so that, while I would not skip a mortgage payment or spend the kids tuition money, I would glady forego a firearms purchase in favor of purchasing the LG-417 for my carry weapon.

I do not intend to purchase laser grips for each of my handguns, although I may equip a few others with it. The G19 is my daily carry handgun, and the advantages of being able to concentrate on the target and not the front sight and being able to shoot accurately with the firearm in odd positions (like from the hip) will make my carry handgun a more valuable and efficient tool. Additionally, the laser grip equipped Glock, continues to fit perfectly in my Comp-Tac M-Tac.

Your mileage may vary. :ack:

Turbodreams 01-29-2010 20:24

Im picking mine up tomorrow morning. Local shop ordered it for me a couple days ago. Cant wait, got my G17 last friday. This week I had the 3-dot trijicons installed. My Streamlight TLR-1 came today and my CT grips I get in the morning.

texas 48 01-31-2010 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbodreams (Post 14647206)
Im picking mine up tomorrow morning. Local shop ordered it for me a couple days ago. Cant wait, got my G17 last friday. This week I had the 3-dot trijicons installed. My Streamlight TLR-1 came today and my CT grips I get in the morning.

U will love them

m4arc 02-06-2010 13:38

For those guys that used the older 619 models, how do the new 417s compare?

up1911fan 02-06-2010 16:18

From what i've seen the laser housing and diode appear smaller? Anyone know for sure?

theGreenAggie 03-21-2010 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneRaven (Post 14646868)
I do not intend to purchase laser grips for each of my handguns, although I may equip a few others with it. The G19 is my daily carry handgun, and the advantages of being able to concentrate on the target and not the front sight and being able to shoot accurately with the firearm in odd positions (like from the hip) will make my carry handgun a more valuable and efficient tool. Additionally, the laser grip equipped Glock, continues to fit perfectly in my Comp-Tac M-Tac.

Glad to hear that the LG-417 fits well with your G-19 and M-TAC. I have a G-23 (same frame size as G-19) and an M-TAC holster. I'm looking at lasers and want to make sure I get one that fits in the holster. Does anyone know if the LG-619 fits in an M-TAC? It's $100 cheaper, don't want to spend the extra cash for no reason.

RayB 03-21-2010 18:07

Congrats On Your CT Laser!

I'm a big fan of lasers and CT's good stuff! :thumbsup:

Since the laser designator ostensibly projects your gun's front sight onto your target, there's no need to sight down the barrel. As StoneRaven points out, you can draw, shoot, and hit from the hip (or the pocket). This can drastically cut reaction time! :wow:

Anybody on the fence about lasers, see Crimson Trace's DVD feature, Shots In The dark. You'll get the idea! ;)

With regard to the shoot and hit from the hip thingy, this also works with Judy's Lasermax-equipped G19. I suspect such a feat would be much tougher with one of the snappier calibers--like 10 mm! :eyebrow:

--Ray