Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactical Shotguns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Fell in love with a benelli m2 today! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177862)

ScrappyDoo 01-30-2010 18:42

Fell in love with a benelli m2 today!

I went into the store asking about the Mossberg 930 and was handed one with some Wierd-ass trident-looking gadget on the end of the barrel.... it was an otherwise awesome tactical model but it had this trident, double trident thing, attached to the end of the barrel... so I don't think I could buy that (but it was a good price...)

They had no Remington 11-87's (my second choice) except for a slug gun... which is not what I was really in the market for...

after browsing a bit and looking at some other things I asked "Well what do you recommend"...

and I was presented with Excalibur, The Benelli M2 Tactical ....... basically The Shotgun In The Stone.... amazing.

Simply Awesome...

but $1150 .... which was double the price of the other ones I was looking at ( double the most expensive 11-87 with two barrels I saw a week earlier at Dicks)...

What can you tell me? Should I do it? It seems AWESOME but he told me, it's simply for home defense... Not for shooting clay pigeons, not for the range, certainly not for hunting... And I really like versatility...

Plus, I have my eyes on some stuff at Dick's in my area.. a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 scoped package for 500 and a Remington 11-87 combo for 650... could have both for the cost of the Benelli... I don't know, you guys tell me please...IT WAS AWESOME THO. I am actually suprised I Didn't just buy it on the spot, very unlike me...

Devin459 01-31-2010 10:44

The M2 may be designed for home defense, but there is no real logical reason why you couldn't take it hunting or clay shooting and not have it work. I cant think of one reason why you couldn't take it hunting as is. The barrel length would be the only downside. But with the clay pigeons, if your use to shooting with bead sights, it takes a lot of getting use to. Looks like a fun gun. As for the price, I'm guessing you really don't have a budget? My advice is, if you decide to spend that much on a gun, save just a little extra, and get the M4. I'm sure you could get one for around $1500. If you don't want to wait, and decide not to get the m2, I would go with the 1187.

mixflip 01-31-2010 12:05

I was in the market for a tactical semi-auto for the past few months and did alot of looking and reading.

I also loved the Beneli. The M2 was amazing. If you want the Ferrari of tactical shotguns and you want to make your friends go Oooo & Ahhhh spend the cash on the Beneli and dont look back. The Marines like the M4.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ip/benelli.jpg

Now if you are into versatility, it may be a wiser choice (maybe not the coolest) to go with a combo deal like the Mossberg SPX tactical/field combo. You dont get pistol grips and ghost ring sights but hey, you dont need them since you want to hunt with the long barrel anyway.

You can find the same deal with the 1100/1187 Remington's too I believe? Either that or you can just buy a tactical 1100 or 1187 Police and buy a hunting barrel later. I had an 1187 and it was such a nice shotgun I almost regret selling it. I was in the process of buying all the tactical parts like an 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip buttstock and ghost ring sights but ended up saving all that money and sold it to fund my Mossberg 930 SPX purchase which was good to go right out of the box.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...p/CIMG4837.jpg

Me personally, I specifically wanted a dedicated tactical semi shotgun. The Beneli while nice, was just not a 20 year leap forward in technology over the Mossberg 930SPX. They did pretty much the same thing but one just has an Italian name and cost alot.

The SPX won both the NRA's golden bullseye, shotgun of the year award and the Academy of shooting excellence's shotgun of the year award in 2009 for being a rugged and reliable tactical shotgun. Thats good enough for me since I could use the extra cash to buy another gun or more ammo to feed a semi auto shotgun!!!

Now that the SPX is home, I am glad I got it because its freakin nice and makes a nice addition to my Mossberg pump. Plus I wont cry if I scratch up my SPX. The Beneli would be treated with kid gloves!!!! and thats no fun.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...p/CIMG5009.jpg

Glocker08 01-31-2010 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo (Post 14653459)
I went into the store asking about the Mossberg 930 and was handed one with some Wierd-ass trident-looking gadget on the end of the barrel.... it was an otherwise awesome tactical model but it had this trident, double trident thing, attached to the end of the barrel... so I don't think I could buy that (but it was a good price...)

They had no Remington 11-87's (my second choice) except for a slug gun... which is not what I was really in the market for...

after browsing a bit and looking at some other things I asked "Well what do you recommend"...

and I was presented with Excalibur, The Benelli M2 Tactical ....... basically The Shotgun In The Stone.... amazing.

Simply Awesome...

but $1150 .... which was double the price of the other ones I was looking at ( double the most expensive 11-87 with two barrels I saw a week earlier at Dicks)...

What can you tell me? Should I do it? It seems AWESOME but he told me, it's simply for home defense... Not for shooting clay pigeons, not for the range, certainly not for hunting... And I really like versatility...

Plus, I have my eyes on some stuff at Dick's in my area.. a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 scoped package for 500 and a Remington 11-87 combo for 650... could have both for the cost of the Benelli... I don't know, you guys tell me please...IT WAS AWESOME THO. I am actually suprised I Didn't just buy it on the spot, very unlike me...

Yeah,the Benelli M2/M4''s are super nice, but DAMN they're expensive. Are they THAT much better than the Rem.and Mossy semi-autos to merit costing double the price. IMHO,no they're not. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have an M4, but $1500+ ? To me,that's just insane.

What about a Saiga 12 ? You could get 2 S-12's for the price of 1 Benelli M2 and 3 for the price of an M4. :supergrin:

frankr 01-31-2010 15:41

Love my Mossberg 930 SPX. Half the price as the others and my 930 SPX shoots Low Brass Dove loads as well as any High Brass loads. I have yet to have a malfunction with my $619.00 Auto. Great shooting gun.

ScrappyDoo 02-05-2010 09:04

bump as I can't decide!!!

I admit I want some versatility... And the deal is I can get a Remington 11-87 and a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 for $650 + $500 at Dick's ... (I just really want that 700 too, I will probably never use it but I've wanted one for a long time)...

But a local gunshop ... $1150 for the Benelli M2... and it's so awesome. I am just asking for everyone's input, because some friends are telling me the M2 will be no good for anything but home defense, I really want the half priced 11-87 for it's versatility.. other's are telling me the M2 is great, if I want to hunt just get some rifled slugs, and it's a sweet weapon.

And no one in the area has any semi-auto Mossberg's ... only some pumps. the ONLY mossberg semi has this WIERD double-trident thing at the end of the barrel (can anyone address that freaking thing? It's wierd!) ... and the 930 SPX is apparently illegal in NJ, too big a mag and no semi-autos with a pistol grip in NJ d'oh!

gtmtnbiker98 02-05-2010 09:56

I have the M2 and LOVE IT and use it for HD and 3-gun. I'm not a hunter, rather a competition shooter. It all depends upon what you are going to be using it for. Trap, Skeet, hunting, get a Benelli SBE.