Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactical Shotguns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   YAFST: Yet Another "First Shotgun" Thread (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183099)

bluenoise 02-11-2010 10:59

YAFST: Yet Another "First Shotgun" Thread
 
Hi, folks-

I posted this in another "first shotgun" thread, but I think I shouldn't have piggybacked onto it. I know little about shotguns and have only shot at clays a few times in my life. I, too, am in the market for my first shotgun and am leaning toward the 870. Here is how I expect to use it:

Shooting clays: 90%
Shooting paper: 8%
Home Defense: 1.9%
Hunting: 0.1%

At least that's about how my priorities fall out. I like the idea of a synthetic stock, but I am not interested in a pistol grip. I like the idea of a fiber sight and the ability to shoot the widest range of ammo types in 12 ga. (Is that as important as I'm implying?).

What features should I be looking for beyond what I've said? What about chokes, etc.? Barrel length? Magazine capacity?

Thanks

DaGroaner 02-11-2010 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenoise (Post 14734191)
Hi, folks-

I posted this in another "first shotgun" thread, but I think I shouldn't have piggybacked onto it. I know little about shotguns and have only shot at clays a few times in my life. I, too, am in the market for my first shotgun and am leaning toward the 870. Here is how I expect to use it:

Shooting clays: 90%
Shooting paper: 8%
Home Defense: 1.9%
Hunting: 0.1%

At least that's about how my priorities fall out. I like the idea of a synthetic stock, but I am not interested in a pistol grip. I like the idea of a fiber sight and the ability to shoot the widest range of ammo types in 12 ga. (Is that as important as I'm implying?).

What features should I be looking for beyond what I've said? What about chokes, etc.? Barrel length? Magazine capacity?

Thanks

Mossberg used to and might still offer a set that came with a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel with choke tubes, an 18" IC barrel and a pistol grip. That's the set I bought 20+ years ago. That's what I would suggest getting.

Puppy 02-11-2010 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaGroaner (Post 14734519)
Mossberg used to and might still offer a set that came with a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel with choke tubes, an 18" IC barrel and a pistol grip. That's the set I bought 20+ years ago. That's what I would suggest getting.

That's the route I'd probably suggest going too.

Spare/extra Rem 870 barrels are (for some reason) usually a lot more expensive than Mossberg 500 barrels are.

DaGroaner 02-11-2010 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppy (Post 14734746)
That's the route I'd probably suggest going too.

Spare/extra Rem 870 barrels are (for some reason) usually a lot more expensive than Mossberg 500 barrels are.

There are also Mossberg 870 replacement barrels.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

bluenoise 02-11-2010 14:13

What barrel length makes the most sense for a rookie clay shooter like me?

Puppy 02-11-2010 14:39

28" + for trap & turkey shooting, for skeet &/or sporting clays you'd probably do better with a 24" - where as home defense is best served w/a 20" or 18".

DaGroaner 02-11-2010 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenoise (Post 14735637)
What barrel length makes the most sense for a rookie clay shooter like me?

It depends on what game you're playing. Puppy has it exactly right.

bluenoise 02-11-2010 15:33

I just got back from the local shop. I was handling a Remington 870 Express with synthetic stock and a 28" barrel. It felt good, though I want to try a 24" or 26" before I pull the trigger, so to speak. The guy looked in the catalog and couldn't find a current model 24", so I was going to check the Remington site to see what's up with that.

The 28" I was looking at was $399 "minus 10%." How does that price look? I'll be shopping around, but I want to make sure I understand the ballpark.

vafish 02-11-2010 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenoise (Post 14736150)
I just got back from the local shop. I was handling a Remington 870 Express with synthetic stock and a 28" barrel. It felt good, though I want to try a 24" or 26" before I pull the trigger, so to speak. The guy looked in the catalog and couldn't find a current model 24", so I was going to check the Remington site to see what's up with that.

The 28" I was looking at was $399 "minus 10%." How does that price look? I'll be shopping around, but I want to make sure I understand the ballpark.

That sounds a bit high, but CA gun prices are usually higher than other states. Buds has the 870 express 26" barrel for $320 shipped, plus you would have to pay for a transfer at your end. $399 minus 10% would be $360 so your local dealer isn't ripping you off.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95589

24" is usually a "Turkey" gun. 26" and 28" are the standard vent rib barrels. 28" will work just fine for skeet, but the pump action will slow you down a bit on the doubles. It's doable and I shoot skeet with a pump gun, but most skeet shooters use a double barrel or semi auto.

If you are going to be doing a lot of clay shooting you may want to look at the 11-87 instead of the 870.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.