Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactics and Training (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Display of weapon (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196134)

gatorhugger 03-12-2010 02:37

Display of weapon

If you are walking out of store, some man asks for change,
then gets obnoxious, then gets in your face and imples he is
going to "kick your 'butt;"
Do you -
1. pull your concealed weapon and tell them to back off
2. Pull your weapon and proceed to unleash hell
3. Wait until you are pushed to pull weapon
4 wait until you are punched to pull weapon
5. Refuse to draw weapon even if punches are raining down on you.
because other guy doesn't have a weapon.

Not a far fethced scenario. I have had this happen, and never pulled my
gun, we both went down swinging until security got there. On hindsight I think I should have shot the SOB.
One punch in the wrong side of head could have killed this old man.
Or he could have pulled a knife and fatally stabbed me while we were on the ground or wrestling around.
But then again, maybe I did the right thing since I am still a free man.
Tough call.

GreyEclipse 03-12-2010 03:56

I would have kicked him in the nuts and walked away.:whistling:

SafetyGuy83 03-12-2010 04:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorhugger (Post 14924883)

Well it depends if you think an old man is a deadly threat. Although it sounds like he gave you a run for your money!:tongueout:

PlayboyPenguin 03-12-2010 04:30

I would do my best to get away from him. I would not want to get in a wrestling match with a gun on me. That can go very wrong very fast. However, I would not draw my weapon unless I had no other choice. That includes the choice of running away.

Glock-it-to-me 03-12-2010 04:31

I'm a biker and look/dress like a biker. When riding, I'm wearing my patch. Even the average panhandler tends to avoid physical confrontations with such folks.

rohanreginald 03-12-2010 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafetyGuy83 (Post 14924998)
Well it depends if you think an old man is a deadly threat. Although it sounds like he gave you a run for your money!:tongueout:

The OP is refering to himself as "the old man".

I think the OP did the right thing. I am sure that was scary, but not sure if your life was really endangered and that is one sucky position to be in. Escalation of force is always something to be aware of.

freespirit34 03-12-2010 08:56

I'd have opened up a can of "whoop ass" on him. The only problem would be if he grabbed my gun while I was stomping his butt. Then I'd really have to destroy him.

Angry Fist 03-12-2010 09:02

Time to open THIS up...

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1268406079

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Esox357 03-12-2010 12:40

Not a lawyer but there is something called disparity of force, that can range from multiple attackers, age, size, man vs women, known history of the person (aka professional fighter), medical condition, ect. A punch to the mouth doesn't justify killing someone, a person beating you for dear life is a different story. Esox357.

degoodman 03-12-2010 13:34

This is why options are good, and having a firearm as the only one is not.

A situation such as this is custom designed for a little a$#hole repellant, AKA OC or mace. Clearly state your intention to leave the situation, take a step back to begin your departure and if the BG doesn't quit, paint the fence.

If lethal means are the only tool you have other than your fists and feet, you're in a pickle. In Ohio, the legal standard is not just AOJ, but the BG must also have comitted an overt act that establishes his intention to visit GBI or death on you, and verbal threats alone do not meet that standard.

The responses for you don't change much, clearly state your intention to disengage and leave, begin making moves to initiate your retreat, and if the BG continues to press forward, you have an additional articulable fact aiding your case for justification if you have to act. The problem remains that he has just as much right to the public street that you do, and until he commits that overt act that places you in immediate jeopardy of GBI or death, your hands are tied from a lethal force perspective.

Once fists start flying, the game is changed. If you're advancing in age, and you have cardiac conditions, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc that limit your ability to engage him physically you may be in a position to shoot that I, as a reasonably fit man in my 30's who can still get 275 off the bench, will not be in. I'm going to have to scrap for a while, or paint the fence.

zoyter2 03-12-2010 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin (Post 14925000)
I would do my best to get away from him. I would not want to get in a wrestling match with a gun on me. That can go very wrong very fast. However, I would not draw my weapon unless I had no other choice. That includes the choice of running away.

Your lack of blood thirst and aversion to killing anyone who looks cross-ways at you will NOT help you fit in here.

The correct answer is, of course, kill everyone in sight. Then spit on the bodies. :supergrin:

Angry Fist 03-12-2010 14:15

Couldn't resist... needed a new sig! :whistling:

PlayboyPenguin 03-12-2010 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoyter2 (Post 14927444)
Your lack of blood thirst and aversion to killing anyone who looks cross-ways at you will NOT help you fit in here.

The correct answer is, of course, kill everyone in sight. Then spit on the bodies. :supergrin:

What can I say...as I have gotten older I have become somewhat wuss-ified. I just do not see the appeal in fighting just to prove a point or over pride. If I am not armed it might be a different story, but since I am almost always armed I avoid trouble at all costs. Luckily I am not the type of guy that gets harassed alot. I am not the biggest guy, but I am a good 6'-6'1" and weight in at 220-225lbs so there is usually a more appealing target to be found. Plus my friends say I have the "crazy eyes." That helps keep people away. :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ShavedHead.jpg

LoadedTech 03-12-2010 14:32

Sandles and socks PBP??? Come on man.:rofl:

PlayboyPenguin 03-12-2010 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadedTech (Post 14927665)

Hey! that sandle and sock wearing goober spent a lot of time in Europe at that time of his life...and I would expect a little more respect from someone using one of my drawings as their avatar. :tongueout:

volsbear 03-12-2010 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esox357 (Post 14926995)
Not a lawyer but there is something called disparity of force, that can range from multiple attackers, age, size, man vs women, known history of the person (aka professional fighter), medical condition, ect. A punch to the mouth doesn't justify killing someone, a person beating you for dear life is a different story. Esox357.

Exactly. Additional considerations is the laws in your state, county, and city as well as the political tendencies/ambitions of the local prosecutor.

dosei 03-12-2010 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorhugger (Post 14924883)
If you are walking out of store, some man asks for change,
then gets obnoxious, then gets in your face and imples he is
going to "kick your 'butt;"
Do you -
1. pull your concealed weapon and tell them to back off
2. Pull your weapon and proceed to unleash hell
3. Wait until you are pushed to pull weapon
4 wait until you are punched to pull weapon
5. Refuse to draw weapon even if punches are raining down on you.
because other guy doesn't have a weapon.

Not a far fethced scenario. I have had this happen, and never pulled my
gun, we both went down swinging until security got there. On hindsight I think I should have shot the SOB.
Or he could have pulled a knife and fatally stabbed me while we were on the ground or wrestling around.
But then again, maybe I did the right thing since I am still a free man.
Tough call.

In my experience, it is the persons mouth that gets them into, or out of, this type of situation. And while there are exceptions to this....they are exceedingly rare. For those exceedingly rare exceptions, knowing how to do more than fight John Wayne style is very helpful (blocks, throws, joint locks, pressure points, what bones are REALLY easy to break, etc.). I have trained in several martial arts (Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido). The one that I have found to be hands down the most useful is Aikido.

JETHRO38 03-12-2010 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadedTech (Post 14927665)

...:rofl::supergrin:

LoadedTech 03-12-2010 16:58

You drew this avatar?

mdhandyman 03-12-2010 17:05

An that shirt definitely does not go with them shoes. :rofl: