Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 10 Ring (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Eaa 10 mm? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216554)

B.Reid 05-03-2010 19:05

Eaa 10 mm?
 
Anyone have one of these? The prices are right but do they hold up? Tell me about it.

TACC GLOCK 05-03-2010 19:12

For about $400 I was looking to try one also.

HOV 05-04-2010 07:12

$400 is most of the way to a new G20 or G29. I'd rather get two of the same Glock 10mm pistol than one Glock and one EAA.

Two is one, one is none.

Glocks share mags, barrels, other parts, EAA shares nothing...

B.Reid 05-04-2010 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOV (Post 15236877)
$400 is most of the way to a new G20 or G29. I'd rather get two of the same Glock 10mm pistol than one Glock and one EAA.

Two is one, one is none.

Glocks share mags, barrels, other parts, EAA shares nothing...

I already have a G20, no interest in a G29.

why 05-07-2010 14:23

I have a fullsize metal in 10mm and love it. Also bought the factory 40 bbl for it too. I plan on buying a compact metal Tanfoglio for carry if it is as reliable as my fullsize.
fwiw, I've read that the polymers may be finicky but have no firsthand experience.

Retired Squid 05-07-2010 14:42

The problem with these guns is if you do need warranty service EAA the importer for Tanfoglio has a very poor reputation. Like many others, been there done that. If not for the importer I would still own one.

preventec47 05-09-2010 09:44

I too am drawn by the siren song of EAA. To be able to have 15 plus 1 in a full size steel frame attractive pistol manufactured by the Italians that have a good reputation for less than $450 is very very tempting.

My computer screen wall paper has been of a huge closeup of the EAA pistol for quite a while now. Just like pinups of girls when I was a teenager.

B.Reid 05-09-2010 10:48

So how is the quality of these guns?

Retired Squid 05-09-2010 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Reid (Post 15266990)
So how is the quality of these guns?

Mine was very good, fit and finish was excellent. Accuracy was better them my Para 45ACP, 1006 S&W, Colt 1911 45ACP at 7 yards. Bench rested, at 25 yards the difference was even more apparent, the G-20/29 was not directly compared with my Witness. That said I think the Glock would win out, at least with me. The 1911 45ACP Colt was close enough to really be tie unless competition shooting.

The Witness is built very strong, maybe stronger then the S&W 1006, but they come with very light springs. I was to be honest leary of the factory spring for any US commercial ammo, even some of the target ammo. The reason being it was throwing brass 20 feet or more, which is a very good clue of too light a recoil spring.

bac1023 05-12-2010 21:42

I have a Limited model in 38Super.

I like it quite a bit. :)

_The_Shadow 05-12-2010 22:40

One of the members at 10mmTalk had the frame break within 30 rounds of factory ammo. He had the damnest time dealing with EAA(one individual inparticular) for replacement pistol. He finally did get the replacement the other day, but they offered him some extra stuff for is troubles but they didn't provide them yet. You can read the story here...http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Wit...nd-t78399.html

Some have had great luck with theirs, I have been skeptical and never purchased one but looked very hard at them.

Gary1911A1 05-13-2010 09:48

I think you want one of the older ones with the square slide instead of the newer rounded slides that don't have as much metal and seem prone to cracking. Some people have good luck with their customer service, but I didn't. Good luck.

Retired Squid 05-13-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 (Post 15288739)
I think you want one of the older ones with the square slide instead of the newer rounded slides that don't have as much metal and seem prone to cracking. Some people have good luck with their customer service, but I didn't. Good luck.

The earlier models were smaller and had the rounded slides that seemed to be more problematic, I think it was only the big calibers 40, 10, and 45ACP that had the problems.

I have a friend that bought a pair of 38 Supers about 10 years ago with consecutive serial numbers that are the old style smaller gun with more rounded slide. Says he's never had a problem with the gun's, but he hasn't shot them much. His are blued models.

The heavy square slide has come and gone on the Witness model, but I don't think they have yet replaced the squared slides on the models. I remember when they came out with the big squared heavy slides and bought a new one, really liked the gun for fit and finish, but ugly as hell with clunky looking square slide, but felt great in the hand. The price was the buying point at $450 out the door. The last Match model was the inbetween model with straight unrounded slide and was really nice looking in two tone.

bush pilot 05-22-2010 08:20

I've only fired a few hundred rounds of reloads (mild) through my Witness and really like the gun so far. It compares well in terms of accuracy with my 20 and 29. From the horror stories I hear I hope like hell it never needs any warranty work. It's too bad they can't be a little more proactive toward the consumer.

agtman 05-22-2010 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Reid (Post 15266990)
So how is the quality of these guns?

Not winning any Industry Awards for high metallurgy standards or Quality Control :whistling:

Another Witness slide bit the dust here:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10m...sh-t81791.html

All of 150-rds, according to the poster. :upeyes:

Remember, the Witness pistols, regardless of caliber, are Tanfoglio-built CZ knock-offs. But, for warrantry repair work and any other problem, you'll have to deal with Tanfoglio's U.S. importer, EAA, and the personalities there who run it.

EAA's reputation for taking case of customers with problem Witnesses is, at best, sucky.

Googling for the various complaints about, and bad experiences with, EAA might be worth your while BEFORE investing in a particular Witness.

:cool:

B.Reid 05-22-2010 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by agtman (Post 15339406)
Not winning any Industry Awards for high metallurgy standards or Quality Control :whistling:

Another Witness slide bit the dust here:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10m...sh-t81791.html

All of 150-rds, according to the poster. :upeyes:

Remember, the Witness pistols, regardless of caliber, are Tanfoglio-built CZ knock-offs. But for warrantry repair work and any other problem, you'll have to deal with Tanfoglio's U.S. importer, EAA, and the personalities there who run it.

EAA's reputation for taking case of customers with problem Witnesses is, at best, sucky.

Googling for the various complaints about, and bad experiences with, EAA might be worth your while BEFORE investing in a particular Witness.

:cool:

I guess you get what you pay for.

Ebb27 05-22-2010 17:59

I had one of the older square slide 10mm's.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...8x6_edited.jpg

I never heard of any problems with these ones.


In the last few years they've been offering them with a new "streamlined" type slide that's rounded off.

As the pics from the AR15 thread show they took off quite a bit of metal.

http://www.jacobsbklaw.com/powerwago...nt_Crack_L.jpg

http://www.jacobsbklaw.com/powerwago...ar_Crack_L.jpg

It appears that this change has severly weakened the slides and caused cracking issues.


I had seriously been considering getting another one in the Wonder-Finish because I liked the look of the new contoured slide, until I heard of the cracking issues with them. Now I kinda wish I had kept the old square one.

Oh well I think I'm all done with EEA and the Witness pistols.

Retired Squid 05-22-2010 19:30

The top one is the latest model with improved slide like the one I had about two years ago, and the lower one looks like the 8 or 10 year old gun a buddy has two of with sequential serial numbers in 38 Super also blued.

Friend told me and I will have to find out for sure, but that these slides like this cracked one was a in between version that was tried and discontinued due to slide failure about 5 to 6 years ago and where not used across all calibers. He said the only guns he saw these on were 10mm & 38 Super and he only ever saw one in 38 Super and it was a blued gun, all the rest were Wonder finish and 10 mm guns. I have seen a lot of these guns over the last 5 years and never seen one of the milled down models that were cracking slides.

Ebb27 05-22-2010 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired Squid (Post 15341699)
The top one is the latest model with improved slide like the one I had about two years ago, and the lower one looks like the 8 or 10 year old gun a buddy has two of with sequential serial numbers in 38 Super also blued.



No, the top one is a gun I bought used 6 years ago.

The bottom is from a thread that was posted on another forum a few days ago.


http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10m...sh-t81791.html




Not sure what it was you owned but the older full-size Witness's had square slides and at some point in the last couple of years they've switched to a thinner "contoured" slide which has been having cracking issues.

Perhaps they were using contoured slides 8 or 10 years ago and went to square slides, but whatever the case they're back to using contoured slides on their latest models and are having problems at least with the 10mm's anyway.

Retired Squid 05-22-2010 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebb27 (Post 15341755)
No, the top one is a gun I bought used 6 years ago.

The bottom is from a thread that was posted on another forum a few days ago.


http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10m...sh-t81791.html




Not sure what it was you owned but the older full-size Witness's had square slides and at some point in the last couple of years they've switched to a thinner "contoured" slide which has been having cracking issues.

Perhaps they were using contoured slides 8 or 10 years ago and went to square slides, but whatever the case they're back to using contoured slides on their latest models and are having problems at least with the 10mm's anyway.

See my correction edit above, I just went to EAA and they show the big square slide for Witness and Hunter both as they were only two I checked.

http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Witnes...izeCropped.png

I think my friend is correct and they just tried a new design or something and it failed a few years ago. I remember on the old CZ forum (4 -5 yrs ago) before it died or I lost link or whatever that in the clone section they was a lot of talk about a new variation EAA that failed and they were to be avoided and EAA was bawking on warranty on the guns.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.