Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cutting Edge (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   I thought a knife was a knife, but now....... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1223584)

G30SF/F-250 05-22-2010 17:07

I thought a knife was a knife, but now.......

I have always carried a pocket knife (folder w/ lock blade) since I was a kid. For the last 5 years it has been a Gerber I got for around $30-$40 bucks.

I use it for work and personel stuff, sometimes for light tapping of things when needed, basically a tool (the knife, not me:embarassed:).

Now that I have been reading about the other world of knives, would I need to carry 2? A $30 dollar tool and a $200 dollar delicate cutting device or will these high dollar blades handle the work.

Leave it to GT to show me something that I must have now.:wavey:

mitchshrader 05-22-2010 17:32

I've got a hundred+ knives, and have half a dozen CRKT M16s that cost 30$ each. I carry a pair of 'em, often. They're adequate for my purposes.

I've got 100$ folders that aren't one bit better than the $30 folders, for any practical purpose. Except they give you a bigger excuse to snivel when you lose one.

It's not necessary to pay retail to get value. In fact, it's not recommended.

Buy utility that works, and spares. Past that, spending bigger is self indulgence.

I don't happen to like gerber cause they use mediocre steel, and it's a shade overpriced.

Spyderco, CRKT, Kershaw.. three brands with value built in. Cherry pick, maybe buy used/LNIB, but if a brand has fanboyz run away run away. It's flushing money.

MPJC 05-22-2010 17:48

I have a CRKT Triumph Neck that accompanies me everywhere. I have my Gerber multitool as well that I used in the Army Military Police- you can't believe how a multi tool is invaluable for a soldier.

w4004p 05-27-2010 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 (Post 15340929)
I have always carried a pocket knife (folder w/ lock blade) since I was a kid. For the last 5 years it has been a Gerber I got for around $30-$40 bucks.

I use it for work and personel stuff, sometimes for light tapping of things when needed, basically a tool (the knife, not me:embarassed:).

Now that I have been reading about the other world of knives, would I need to carry 2? A $30 dollar tool and a $200 dollar delicate cutting device or will these high dollar blades handle the work.
Leave it to GT to show me something that I must have now.:wavey:

some people like to have a "trash" blade and a "nice" blade. not me. my normal carry is a fixed blade - a Benchmade Nimravus. the Nimravus is not very thick, more of slicer, but i have used this for ALL SORTS of tasks and only ONCE did i ever use it for something that i later wished i hadn't - scraping sparks off a fire steel, i burned chips into the edge that are deep enough to still be there after about 5 sharpenings :crying:

get a good knife and use it. as long as you understand - it's a KNIFE, not a pry bar, you will probably never see the need for a cheaper knife. you're "good" knife will easily handle all the tasks you need it too :cool:

there's really only 2 reasons why i would (or do) carry two knives (1) one is openly carried and i want to have something nobody knows about (2) one is big/strong enough for chopping, prying, batoning and i still want something small for intricate tasks. other than that, i'm fine with one decent knife.

George Tichbourne 05-28-2010 06:54

There are good knives out there that are all but indestructable, just one will take care of all of your needs. The tougher the knife the more expensive they become however but I would rather have a knife with me that will not fail than six that might.

George

DBZ220 05-28-2010 12:02

I normally carry an Emerson or Benchmade folder, mainly in a defensive role, and don't use them for much EDC work. I also carry a Leatherman tool of some form and use that for daily cutting, prying, etc. Any knife with decent materials will easily handle most normal EDC duties without issue. I've put some Emersons, BM's and CRKT's through some seriously harsh work and aside from some edge damage, all was well.

FireForged 05-31-2010 18:27

I am not a collector at all. I have purchased all manner of knives over the years and all I can tell you is that the only difference that I have ever noticed between the high dollar knives and a $30 knife is that I feel reluctant to actually punish a expensive knife because I dont want to have to replace it.

The only time I can see spending extra money on a folding kife is when you prefer one type of locking mech over another. Axis locks are gonna cost you.

Lethaltxn 05-31-2010 18:32

That's not a knife.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5XvBYfxU_dM/S5...png?imgmax=800

Gunzz 05-31-2010 21:40

I just paid $30 retail for a Kershaw "Tone 3430x" Tanto/Wharncliff style forward-assist blade at the Academy sports store. I like the light weight. It says it has the 8Cr13MoV chinese steel, and G10 panels. The blade is typical Kershaw solid quality.

I cut my chicken and steak, just to use it. Cuts fruits and veggies nicely. I cut some manila rope, and some general tape, cardboard.

It looks a lot like the old Emerson CQC7 tanto, except the grip handle is much nicer on the Kershaw. It has a thick liner lock.

The big brands like Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, and Kershaw have so much QC-emphasis to protect their IP and brand reputation, that I am perfectly fine with the Chinese-manufactured origins. I own the 13C26 versions of the USA Kershaws, and I like those too.

For daily applications, I like my $30 Kershaw Tone.

9jeeps 05-31-2010 21:59

Same here. Have a drawer load of folders and fixed blade knives.
What I carry most is a snap blade Utility/box knife. Plastic body, push out blade, bought at most hardware or Dollar stores. Buy a couple at a time and use them for everything from cleaning battery terminals to flattening boxes they work well, are feather light and I can take them into Canada or just buy a new one there for a buck or two.:whistling:

But when there's work to be done I reach for my Leatherman Wave II.:cool:

Davegrave 06-06-2010 12:54

for $40 to $80 you can get a GREAT knife that won't break the bank and won't have you regretting rough use.

I'm gonna do my usual and recomend a Benchmade Griptillian. It's my 90% or the time carry knife and I use it and use it hard. It looks like hell but still functions perfect and smooth and sharpens up like a razor time and time again. Plus (probly much to Mitch's disliking)...I'm an Axis Lock fanboy. I just love it. I have quite a few knives but except for my stainless spyderco delica that I carry when I want to look classy and prepared...I alway grab a Benchmade with the Axis. Rock solid lockup, one hand open and close. I just love it. And to me, the Griptillian is their beater knife.

You can't buy it and be dissatisfied. :supergrin:

TheLastDaze 06-07-2010 22:58

I don't think you'd need two... a high dollar and cheapo knife, perhaps as stated you may want to consider a multi-use tool and carry your typical edc you're use to.

then again you could go fixed..

Myself I'd pick practically anything over gerber anymore, they won't disclose what steel they use, and though years ago they were a decent bang for the buck I think there are much better choices now.. for a cheapo edc for me, I absolutely love my kershaw skyline, fits nice in the pocket only 2.4oz and best of all can be had at walmart for $35..

I have a decent collection of brand knives, old and new but I simply cant see myself carrying a $200 beater.. cuz i use em.. and abuse em....

kendric98 06-08-2010 04:10

My edc blades are always Kershaws.

sns3guppy 06-08-2010 09:19

I usually carry two pocket knives; an Emerson, and a Spyderco.

Generally I carry an Emerson Commander or CQC-15. Both outstanding knives, and for what you get, I think an excellent value. I've never paid retail, and don't intend to do so.

I also carry a Spyderco Military, or Paramilitary.

There is a big difference, I think, between these knives and many of the less-substantial ones I've owned in the past. I have a number of Emersons and Spydercos. I have Kershaws, Chris Reeve, and others. There's nothing wrong with the Kershaws, but I carry the Emerson for it's features (notably including the "wave," which has proven very handy), and the Spyderco for it's blade and grind.

I've spent a lot of my life working with tools, and learned very early that cheap tools are no bargain. I don't gravitate to the cheapest firearms, nor the cheapest knives.

My Sebenza (Chris Reeve) is an excellent knife, but for the cost, it doesn't get carried so much for the risk of loss or damage. My Emersons have been to some very rough places, and I continue to frequent these places, around the globe. My favorite, a mini-commander, disappeared last year in Iraq, and was quickly replaced by a couple more. In my opinion, they're worth the cost.

irontexan27 06-14-2010 16:31

I am a pretty big "knife person" and I have to say that the only reasons I can think of to carry multiple knives is if you want one cheap one for others to use or is you also have a multi tool on you. The whole concept of a self defense blade just doesn't make sense to me unless you are an on duty cop or active military. For anything else I think one properly maintained blade should be more than sufficient. For the most part I think MNS (mall ninja syndrome) gets the best of a lot of people.

For 99.99 percent of people one knife is plenty. Do a little research on blade steels and lock types and blade grinds and start looking for something you like. For me ergonomics is also a big point but also consider the comfort of the knife in your pocket (a 6 inch beast that weighs 12 oz might look cool but probably wont be as enjoyable to carry)

Beyond that, as long as you remember that it is a knife (as said earlier, not a pry bar, if you want a blade that you can pry with buy a boker cop tool) is should cut what ever you want it to. The best thing you can do with a high dollar knife is cut every thing you can find. You spent the bucks on a cutter not a safe queen, so use it.

Also i highly recommend learning to sharpen your knives if you don't already. There's no point in owning a 100 plus dollar blade if you cant keep it sharp. Plus there is a certain type of pride that comes with knowing that you can properly maintain your knives.