Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rimfire Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 Jammin mofo' (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228090)

LT1_MASTER 06-03-2010 19:15

Ruger 10/22 Jammin mofo'

Hi all,

I recently (about a year ago) bought a 10/22. It's a pretty basic one, wood stock, black painted reciever, standard barrel, plastic trigger group etc. I love shooting all day at the cost of about $10. However, my particular rifle has a very annoying problem. It jams probably once every 5 rounds on average. I clean it well after each use and it has had this problem since brand new. Serial # is 353-44xxx. The problem is that it stovepipes the extracted casing either to the right of the chamber, blocking the bolt/action from going full forward (most common) and occasionally above the chamber and new cartridge (less common) also blocking the bolt/action from going full forward and making it much more difficult to clear the jam. The rifle also occasionally fails to feed a new round without a stovepipe, but I account this to the old butler creek mag that doesnt fit as tight in the magwell as it used to (as the new BC mag doesnt have this problem). I get this problem using the factory 10rd magazine, and also when using 25 round butler creek magzines. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the frequency of jams using either type of mag. I've used different types of ammo, none seem to be better than any others. I usually use bulk ammo though, either federal or winchester 550 round packs. I can push (move) the extractor easily with my finger, I have a very reliable 10/22 for reference (my dads) and the extractor seems to offer the same amount of resistance. I notice that when the casings do extract, they go everywhere, forwards, backwards, far, near. So, my question to the rimfire forum braintrust is, any ideas? Any known fixes? Anybody with a similar problem and solution? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Allen

Artemis Arms 06-03-2010 19:38

Best advice I can give you is to go to rimfirecentral.com and ask there.

hoosier#17 06-03-2010 19:50

I bought a brand new 10/22 rifle a while back and cleaned it and was a jam-o-matic for about 250rnds. After that the jams lessened more & more till its almost non-existent now. The Wal-Mart cheapie brands are definately not a favorite of my rifle either. Just food for thought.

1985 4Runner 06-03-2010 20:22

Trade it for a Marlin 60.

Seriously.

LT1_MASTER 06-03-2010 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner (Post 15409091)
Trade it for a Marlin 60.

Seriously.

Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. If i wasnt so impressed with my fathers 10/22, mine wouldve been sold off 11.5 months ago. I've never owned a gun that jams so often, it really takes the fun out of shooting hearing *click* 1/5 of the time when pulling the trigger.

DWARREN123 06-03-2010 20:46

Yep, try WWW.RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM
Probably the best place for rimfire info if you can stand some of the people.

LT1_MASTER 06-03-2010 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosier#17 (Post 15408882)
I bought a brand new 10/22 rifle a while back and cleaned it and was a jam-o-matic for about 250rnds. After that the jams lessened more & more till its almost non-existent now. The Wal-Mart cheapie brands are definately not a favorite of my rifle either. Just food for thought.

Now that you mention it, mine has improved from baseline it seems, but it still jams like a mofo. I would like to say that the better ammo makes a difference but thats simply not the case. It jams no matter what ammo it gets fed.

LT1_MASTER 06-03-2010 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWARREN123 (Post 15409280)
Yep, try WWW.RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM
Probably the best place for rimfire info if you can stand some of the people.

Will have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

PzGren 06-03-2010 20:59

It looks to me as if you have two separate issues, one is mag related and the other is a failure to extract/eject properly.

The ejection issue is quite likey caused by the extractor, not only the pressure of it is influencing extraction and ejection but also its shape and how far it reaches over the rim.

You can either replace it with a Volquartsen (sp?) extractor or relief the extractor yourself.

I filed mine down a tad, so that it could reach over the rim better and the rifle runs very well now, before that I had about 30 to 40% FTEs.

Glock 17L 06-03-2010 21:09

I have a Volquartzen Extractor in both my 10/22 & MKII Rugers..
They don't cost much & will turn a jam-o-matic into a custom plinker..
My buddy bought a all weather 10/22 & it was a JLF & just swapping the extractor for a Volqaurtzen Exact Edge Extractor healed it for good.. It's 100% now..

Give it a try!! You'll be glad you did..
You might also clean the chamber realy well with a bent brush around .270"..
I drilled my reciever so I can clean from the breach & stay away from the crown..

Good Luck LT1_MASTER

HAMMERHEAD 06-03-2010 21:17

Sound like a rounded edge or other imperfection on your extractor. The Volquartsen exact edge extractor had a good rep over at rimfire central, or take your chances with a replacement from Ruger.

blackbmw 06-03-2010 22:28

Volquartsen all the way, Put one in my 597, and its a different machine now! always extracts.

Rooster Rugburn 06-03-2010 22:34

A few months ago, when I was struggling with mine, I could have helped you. Now, since I gave up on it and got a Marlin 60 and Savage, what I learned has left me.

Rimfirecenteral.com is your best bet. Here are some tweaks you will need to do to get it running, which basically is to replace everything on it with a Voltquartsen or other quality third party component:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...play.php?f=220

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=123409

I do remember that tight fitting Butler Creek mags will cause jams. Supposedly, you want the mag loosely fitting. You can sand the mags, or the magwell.

There is also a tweak for the mags that consists of spraying silicon in the hole at the bottom and lubing the spring channel. That helps it feed more reliably.

crazypilot 06-03-2010 23:03

Mine has been doing the same thing. I called Ruger and they told me to send it back but I haven't done it yet.

steve1911 06-04-2010 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD (Post 15409509)
Sound like a rounded edge or other imperfection on your extractor. The Volquartsen exact edge extractor had a good rep over at rimfire central, or take your chances with a replacement from Ruger.

+1 mine did the same thing then i installed the VQ exact edge extractor,
i have run close too 3000 rds thru it know with no fte, give it a try, and take a look at rimfire central, good place to learn about 10/22's, good luck.

1911club#410

LT1_MASTER 06-04-2010 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIG P229 (Post 15409449)
I have a Volquartzen Extractor in both my 10/22 & MKII Rugers..
They don't cost much & will turn a jam-o-matic into a custom plinker..
My buddy bought a all weather 10/22 & it was a JLF & just swapping the extractor for a Volqaurtzen Exact Edge Extractor healed it for good.. It's 100% now..

Give it a try!! You'll be glad you did..
You might also clean the chamber realy well with a bent brush around .270"..
I drilled my reciever so I can clean from the breach & stay away from the crown..

Good Luck LT1_MASTER

This seems to be the best option at this point, and is inexpensive, so I think I'll order one and go from there. Will let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the ideas!

Jason D 06-04-2010 16:36

That is the best course of action to do first.

PzGren 06-04-2010 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason D (Post 15413957)
That is the best course of action to do first.

...or just the beginning. Volquartsen products are convincingly good and once you start replacing OEM parts with them, you will most likely continue.

Isn't the VQ hammer really great?:supergrin:

Jeepnik 06-04-2010 21:41

You know, Ruger has a pretty good rep for fixing things that aren't right. I'd give em a call, as spend a couple of bucks to send it to them.

My one and only problem with a Ruger was a well used Mark I Target that suddenly decided to go full auto one day. Packed it up, sent it to them, they fixed it and sent it back for free. That's why I bought more Rugers. I kinda like dealing with a company that stands behind their product.

Jason D 06-05-2010 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by PzGren (Post 15415810)
...or just the beginning. Volquartsen products are convincingly good and once you start replacing OEM parts with them, you will most likely continue.

Isn't the VQ hammer really great?:supergrin:

Isn't that the truth.

You can literally replace ever single part on a 10/22 with VQ parts, and almost all of them on a MK...pistol. It can get pretty expensive awefully quick.
I think I have close to 700.00 into my MKIII incuding the purchase price of the pistol.