Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   10mm Reloading Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New to reloading the 10 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246874)

cyclops24 07-26-2010 17:35

New to reloading the 10

Hello all, I am new to GT but not new to shooting or reloading. I recently picked up a 20SF and I added a wolf guide rod and 22# spring (KKM aftermarket barrel might be down the road). I quickly realized I would need to handload and reload considering the mild Remington UMC 180grainers were around $30/box. My current load is Nickel Starline brass, WLP, 180gr Nosler JHP with 9.0grs of Power Pistol. This was a good load and I worked up to it from 8.0gr inspecting each fired case for signs of over pressure. I do realize that this is over the published max of 8.7gr but I don't see really any signs of pressure with the stock barrel. The fired cases have a very slight bulge to them which is barely noticeable. My main questions are, how many reloads can I get out of this brass safely with the stock barrel and in your opinions is this a safe loading?

I am sorry I waited so long to get a 10mm. This is such a versatile and fun cartridge.

_The_Shadow 07-26-2010 20:50

Cyclops24, Welcome to Glock Talk!

Looks good so far. You could see 10+ loads from those brass although you will possible loose them before they are unreloadable.

I don't know if you know about the 10mmTalk forum located over at: http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/forums.html
Scroll down and look for the the 10mmTalk area, very good info and all things 10mm.

Best regards!

cyclops24 07-27-2010 17:47

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes sir, I am aware and a member. Guess I could post this over there as well. Prior to making this post and ordering anything to make this load, I lurked on here as well as over there reading many posts by yourself as well as others. These are great sources of information. I get a kick out of the term "nuclear load". I thought 9.0gr of PP felt stout enough but I am sure there is more room there but not for the stock barrel.

headblade 08-16-2010 11:50

My biggest problem with 10mm brass wear so far is the burring from the ejection process. I use Glock 20 and 29 and they seem to burr up the brass a good bit and around the 4th and 5th firing become impossible to slide into my Lee Hand priming tool. So, for me 5 times of reloading is max. I could and have continued loading the brass past 5 times but I have to use my Lee Press with the priming attachment. The shell holders on that give more room to slide things into them. But, I don't try to make a great habit of that because the brass is so beat up at this point I just know it can't be all that reliable. I use Starline brass. I don't know if there is anything I could do to soften the ejection process so I could double the lifespan of the brass. Heck, maybe I will just embrace it and load hot. Knowing they have a short lifespan anyway.

RB98SS 08-16-2010 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by headblade (Post 15817665)
My biggest problem with 10mm brass wear so far is the burring from the ejection process. I use Glock 20 and 29 and they seem to burr up the brass a good bit and around the 4th and 5th firing become impossible to slide into my Lee Hand priming tool.

I just posted this very problem and didn't get many replies other than a couple acknowledgments that yep, the 20 does that. So, I took my Dremel with the small buffing wheel and smoothed out the extractor and it seems to have helped with the burr issue. FYI

FLSlim 08-23-2010 07:20

From my experience, nickle-plated brass is more brittle and tends to crack after far fewer reloads than regular brass. If you have the same experience, next time you buy a batch get regular brass (it is cheaper, too).

MSgt Dotson 08-23-2010 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops24 (Post 15705985)
I do realize that this is over the published max of 8.7gr but I don't see really any signs of pressure with the stock barrel. The fired cases have a very slight bulge to them which is barely noticeable. .

I'd recommend a reduction, or, better barrel...