Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Future of the USP (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272348)

CA_DUDE 10-07-2010 17:07

Future of the USP
 
So with the P30 and HK45's now, is there any definitive word on the future of the USP/c line?

JBnTX 10-07-2010 17:33

As long as people keep buying them, HK will keep making them?:dunno:

HAMMERHEAD 10-07-2010 19:09

I think the variety of USP's will dwindle down to a few like the Expert, Tactical and maybe the USPf. Caliber choices will probably drop to .45acp only eventually.

I'm hoping to pick up a USP Expert in .45acp this weekend before they disappear.

rsxr22 10-07-2010 21:46

i agree with hammerhead. They are still a good gun, but have been surpassed by better options in just about every category imo

H&K 4 LIFE 10-08-2010 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD (Post 16107902)
I think the variety of USP's will dwindle down to a few like the Expert, Tactical and maybe the USPf. Caliber choices will probably drop to .45acp only eventually.

I'm hoping to pick up a USP Expert in .45acp this weekend before they disappear.

What leads you to speculate this?

If anything I would think HK would stop importing the more specialized models (Elite and Expert) before they would scrap the USP and USPc.

The only pistol HK has "discontinued" recently has been the Mk23, and with HK "discontinued" usually only means "made in limited runs".

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsxr22 (Post 16108846)
i agree with hammerhead. They are still a good gun, but have been surpassed by better options in just about every category imo

How so? :dunno:

You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol or better out of the box host pistol for a suppressor.

HAMMERHEAD 10-08-2010 16:16

Quote:

What leads you to speculate this?

If anything I would think HK would stop importing the more specialized models (Elite and Expert) before they would scrap the USP and USPc.
I think the HK45, P-30, P-2000/SK will take the lion's share of the HK market with the average shooter who is looking for a quality 9mm or .40 with good ergonomics and better CCW potential. The USP's have established HK's reputation for ruggedness and reliability, but size and ergonomics of the USP's drive away some sales. The newer models should sell better.

I'm guessing the Tactical, Expert and maybe the Elite will remain popular with shooters like me who want a no compromise German pistol with the O ring barrel and dual recoil springs. I think .45acp is the most popular caliber in those models, so the 9mm and .40 models may drop by the wayside.
The Elite would probably be the first of the longslides to go, with the Expert hanging on in .45acp. And like you say, there's no better platform for a suppressed pistol, which is why the Tactical will probably be around a long time.

Just my guess.

rsxr22 10-08-2010 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 16110076)
What leads you to speculate this?

If anything I would think HK would stop importing the more specialized models (Elite and Expert) before they would scrap the USP and USPc.

The only pistol HK has "discontinued" recently has been the Mk23, and with HK "discontinued" usually only means "made in limited runs".



How so? :dunno:

You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol or better out of the box host pistol for a suppressor.

I cannot comment on the suppressor comment because i have no experience besides shooting a suppressed usp45 a few times. What makes them a better setup then say the FN TAC, SW M&P Spec Ops, or even a Glock with threaded barrel?

I feel that they have been surpassed by the p30, hk45, and p2000 series because they are of equal reliability and accuracy, but the ergos on the previously named pistols blow the usp out of the water, obviously this is just my opinion, but i dont see how anyone could disagree especially with the newer models having replaceable backstraps and side panels

Aceman 10-08-2010 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsxr22 (Post 16113313)
I cannot comment on the suppressor comment because i have no experience besides shooting a suppressed usp45 a few times. What makes them a better setup then say the FN TAC, SW M&P Spec Ops, or even a Glock with threaded barrel?

I feel that they have been surpassed by the p30, hk45, and p2000 series because they are of equal reliability and accuracy, but the ergos on the previously named pistols blow the usp out of the water, obviously this is just my opinion, but i dont see how anyone could disagree especially with the newer models having replaceable backstraps and side panels

I notice the only pistols surpassing the USP are other HKs. As would be expected.

H&K 4 LIFE 10-08-2010 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsxr22 (Post 16113313)
I cannot comment on the suppressor comment because i have no experience besides shooting a suppressed usp45 a few times. What makes them a better setup then say the FN TAC, SW M&P Spec Ops, or even a Glock with threaded barrel?

I feel that they have been surpassed by the p30, hk45, and p2000 series because they are of equal reliability and accuracy, but the ergos on the previously named pistols blow the usp out of the water, obviously this is just my opinion, but i dont see how anyone could disagree especially with the newer models having replaceable backstraps and side panels

I've shot/own a good deal of the other HK models. I would still pick the USP over them everytime. :)

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qin4hj.jpg

Hokie1911 10-09-2010 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 16113614)
I've shot/own a good deal of the other HK models. I would still pick the USP over them everytime. :)

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qin4hj.jpg

Great pic man. :thumbsup:

I had a USP9c years ago that I sold. Always miss that one and regretted selling it, but I was cash strapped at the time. Been wanting another HK for a while. Picked up a new P2000 this week. Almost got a P30, but like the shorter grip as I plan in carrying it. Would have probably been just as happy with another USPc.

rsxr22 10-09-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 16113614)
I've shot/own a good deal of the other HK models. I would still pick the USP over them everytime. :)

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qin4hj.jpg

What would your reasoning for this be? The USP fits my hand good enough and dont get me wrong, i love mine, but the others feel much better in the hand. This is my opinion, but also has been the opinion of every other person that has handled them in my shop. Some people end uip going with the usp anyway because of cost, but i havent heard anyone say that the grip on the usp is more comfortable then say the p30

Gary1911A1 10-09-2010 09:46

When you see HK make the HK45 in a Tactical version and start to modify the HK45 frame and slide to work with the 9MM and .40 I'd say the USP's days are numbered, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

zackwatt 10-09-2010 11:29

I doubt its going anywhere soon...

H&K 4 LIFE 10-09-2010 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsxr22 (Post 16115272)
What would your reasoning for this be?...

In my experience, the USP has a noticeably shorter reset then the P-Series pistols. This applies to both DA/SA variants as well as LEM. I have a good deal of appreciation for the P30 in V3, but the USP's SA reset is still shorter.

Match triggers are also available for the USP, however they are not available for any of the P-Series.

I prefer the external control lever of the USP and it's easily obtained and user installed detent plates to customize it's function. In addition, the USP has the ability to retain or discard the control lever as a manual safety when using LEM. Compared to the P2000/SK which cannot do any of this.

As I said, I own/shoot many HK pistols and they are all excellent. Overall I personally just prefer the USP. :)

BORELLAR 10-09-2010 18:54

I have a question about my HK I just bought used. I bought a HK USP compact .40 S&W and it seems to have a little bit of wear on the inside of the frame. The rails on it seem to have a little wear where the plastic and the metal connect with each other. It seems like the rails were meant to be all plastic but the plastic pealed off and now there is just metal there. Anyone know if this is normal? It doesnt seem to have affected the cycling of the slide, but I jst want to know if anyone else has seen anything that looks like that. I will post pics if nobody knows what I am talking about. Its kinda underneath the locking block on the frame, and on the rails. Basically anywhere there is metal coated with plastic on the rails that go in the grooves of the slide, the plastic looks to have came off and just show metal. Any help would be great. I am completely new to HK

H&K 4 LIFE 10-09-2010 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORELLAR (Post 16117648)
I have a question about my HK I just bought used. I bought a HK USP compact .40 S&W and it seems to have a little bit of wear on the inside of the frame. The rails on it seem to have a little wear where the plastic and the metal connect with each other. It seems like the rails were meant to be all plastic but the plastic pealed off and now there is just metal there. Anyone know if this is normal? It doesnt seem to have affected the cycling of the slide, but I jst want to know if anyone else has seen anything that looks like that. I will post pics if nobody knows what I am talking about. Its kinda underneath the locking block on the frame, and on the rails. Basically anywhere there is metal coated with plastic on the rails that go in the grooves of the slide, the plastic looks to have came off and just show metal. Any help would be great. I am completely new to HK

100% normal. Excess flashing that will wear off naturally. Carry on. :)

JNKIRK1974 10-09-2010 20:28

The P30 and the HK45/c IS the USP line.....just modernized. Not sure that they will need to continue making USPs for too much longer. It could be a few more years, but I can't imagine them continuing with the USP line. I fully expect them to continue building on the P30 and HK45 style guns at this point.

BORELLAR 10-16-2010 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 16117659)
100% normal. Excess flashing that will wear off naturally. Carry on. :)

Wooo! Thanks man. I was freakin out for a second. But I ended up makin a deal with my local dealer. I ended up tradin it in and got a brand new HK USP .40 full size. Idk why, but I just like the way the full size looks a lot better. Its somethin with the hammer and mainly the larger trigger guard, and the fact that the rail is longer. Idk I just love the full size. But thanks for your help, and info, it will be helpfull when breaking in my new fullsize.

mrauditor 10-18-2010 05:56

Congrats on the new USP. I am also eyeing a like new USP 40 at my local gunshop. It has 5 mags and is on consignment for $625. Does that price seem reasonable to anyone ?

Thanks.

H&K 4 LIFE 10-18-2010 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrauditor (Post 16160180)
Congrats on the new USP. I am also eyeing a like new USP 40 at my local gunshop. It has 5 mags and is on consignment for $625. Does that price seem reasonable to anyone ?

Thanks.

Yes, that is reasonable. What is the date code?

<table width="56%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="10%" align="center">A</td><td width="10%" align="center">B</td><td width="10%" align="center">C</td><td width="10%" align="center">D</td><td width="10%" align="center">E</td><td width="10%" align="center">F</td><td width="10%" align="center">G</td><td width="10%" align="center">H</td><td width="10%" align="center">I</td><td width="10%" align="center">K</td></tr><tr><td width="10%" align="center">0</td><td width="10%" align="center">1</td><td width="10%" align="center">2</td><td width="10%" align="center">3</td><td width="10%" align="center">4</td><td width="10%" align="center">5</td><td width="10%" align="center">6</td><td width="10%" align="center">7</td><td width="10%" align="center">8</td><td width="10%" align="center">9</td></tr></tbody></table>


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.