Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   10mm Reloading Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   ordered Lee Turret and other items -starting to reload! FINALLY! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293405)

nickE10mm 12-12-2010 00:05

ordered Lee Turret and other items -starting to reload! FINALLY!
 
Just broke down and bought myself a new Lee Turret press, 10mm dies, auto-riser attachment, safety prime, Hornady load book and a tumbler. Will pick up some bullets, primers (large pistol, mag) and powder (AA9, PP and 800x) here in town within the next few days. Have lots of once fired 10mm brass on-hand to learn on. I have been wanting to start reloading for a longggg time. Finally did it. I can't wait!

I'll be looking for a good, cheap, light plinking load, some warm defense loads for my DW Razorback and some full house hunting loads for my incoming Fusion longslide. Any favorite target, defense or hunting loads anyone wants to share? Any tips or suggestions?

The only thing I haven't really decided is what I'll be mounting my Lee press to. Not sure there....

crsuribe 12-14-2010 09:26

Man that's great! Congrats! I can't wait to start reloading myself. Which Lee turret did you buy? And, if you don't mind, how much (approx.) did you pay for the whole "kit"?

Congrats again!

nickE10mm 12-14-2010 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by crsuribe (Post 16457127)
Man that's great! Congrats! I can't wait to start reloading myself. Which Lee turret did you buy? And, if you don't mind, how much (approx.) did you pay for the whole "kit"?

Congrats again!

I got the Lee Deluxe 4Hole Auto Advancing kit with some other accessories. I ended up totaling about 265 with shipping for everything although I still haven't gotten powder, bullets or primers. Will get them in a day or two here locally. Can't wait!

Bello 12-17-2010 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickE10mm (Post 16457152)
I got the Lee Deluxe 4Hole Auto Advancing kit with some other accessories. I ended up totaling about 265 with shipping for everything although I still haven't gotten powder, bullets or primers. Will get them in a day or two here locally. Can't wait!


i think the deluxe one is a pos if you can imho send it back and get the lee classic turret

nickE10mm 12-17-2010 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bello (Post 16477341)
i think the deluxe one is a pos if you can imho send it back and get the lee classic turret

I read something to that effect about 2 hours after I ordered it, ha. I'm keeping this one. It was rough when I opened it but it slicked right up once j lubes it thoroughly. I'm not too worried about it. As I said, it's running real slick now.

Bello 12-17-2010 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickE10mm (Post 16477387)
I read something to that effect about 2 hours after I ordered it, ha. I'm keeping this one. It was rough when I opened it but it slicked right up once j lubes it thoroughly. I'm not too worried about it. As I said, it's running real slick now.

or get a dillon sdb :whistling:

xdmikey 12-17-2010 20:59

learn on the one you bought; save your cash for components! you'll need to for 10mm.
you're ahead of me; i learned on a lee single stage.
congrats on taking the first step.

Kegs 12-17-2010 21:06

Awesome! Have fun and don't blow yourself up! :wavey: :supergrin:

Burien 12-17-2010 21:18

Cabelas has Nosler 135 gr JHP bullets on sale for like $31 for 250, and free shipping if you order more than $99 worth of stuff, and yes back orders count!

A great watermelon defense load starts out with 11.5 gr of 800x Nosler 135 gr loaded 1.250" either primers work LPM or LP but I did not like Winchester LP they were too small, 1 out of 10 would come out upon shooting higher power loads. Tula and Wolf primers are GREAT! they are .001 larger in diameter and you can feel it when you seat them, they are in.

shotgunred 12-22-2010 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burien (Post 16478244)
Cabelas has Nosler 135 gr JHP bullets on sale for like $31 for 250, and free shipping if you order more than $99 worth of stuff, and yes back orders count!

A great watermelon defense load starts out with 11.5 gr of 800x Nosler 135 gr loaded 1.250" either primers work LPM or LP but I did not like Winchester LP they were too small, 1 out of 10 would come out upon shooting higher power loads. Tula and Wolf primers are GREAT! they are .001 larger in diameter and you can feel it when you seat them, they are in.

135 grain is awful light for the 10mm.
800x doesn't work very well in progressive presses.

I would go with 165 grain and longshot.

nickE10mm 01-06-2011 09:44

Pic of reloading set up .... dark and not a lot to look at but its all I have for now ...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/373...adingsetup.jpg

_The_Shadow 01-06-2011 14:38

I see you have the magic eraser...right there in the middle you know the bullet puller!
Good luck and have loads of fun!..............pun intended! :)

MakeMineA10mm 01-06-2011 22:25

Good deal, Nick! My first recommendation (which you obviously already know) is GET MORE LIGHT!! You want a nice brightly-lit workspace. Keeps you awake and aids in seeing that there's powder in the case and all that...

My second suggestion is to start with plinking loads, so that you can get used to the process without the extra anxiety of also worrying about getting your loads "just right" and not going too hot, etc. Load a couple hundred rounds of plinkers, and you'll have a lot more confidence in your feel of how things work.

My favorite plinking/practice/target load is 5.6grs of W231 and a 175gr LTC, but you could just as easily do 5.0grs and a plated TC of 165grs-180grs. (Those plated are not bad for expense - if you shop right, they're just about half-way between lead and FMJs.)

whenmonkeysfly 01-06-2011 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickE10mm (Post 16592759)
Pic of reloading set up .... dark and not a lot to look at but its all I have for now ...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/373...adingsetup.jpg


Have fun!

nickE10mm 01-07-2011 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm (Post 16597087)
Good deal, Nick! My first recommendation (which you obviously already know) is GET MORE LIGHT!! You want a nice brightly-lit workspace. Keeps you awake and aids in seeing that there's powder in the case and all that...

My second suggestion is to start with plinking loads, so that you can get used to the process without the extra anxiety of also worrying about getting your loads "just right" and not going too hot, etc. Load a couple hundred rounds of plinkers, and you'll have a lot more confidence in your feel of how things work.

My favorite plinking/practice/target load is 5.6grs of W231 and a 175gr LTC, but you could just as easily do 5.0grs and a plated TC of 165grs-180grs. (Those plated are not bad for expense - if you shop right, they're just about half-way between lead and FMJs.)


Yep, you're right, I need more light ... however, my daughter just turned 6mo old and she seems to think its "okay" to keep me up all night when I have to work in the morning, lol, so my main issue with my reloading setup is that .... I NEVER GET TO USE IT! Finding time is my biggest challenge lately. When I do get some time, I try and load 25-50 rounds and eventually they will all add up to enough to go shooting, haha...

I DID, however, make my first 70 rounds last week ..... YES! :) Started with a minimum load (180gr Berry's HP over 9.5gr AA7) and just went really slow, checking every 5th or 10th round for correct charge weight. I'll tell you, the loads I made were SUPER accurate out of my Razorback and functioned flawlessly. I was on cloud 9.... Also, my new Graco Models Brass Catcher caught every spent case which is great.

My main complaints were the Lee Disk Measure throwing tiny amounts of powder out the side of my turret which caused my Lee Lever Prime to hang and jam up, falling on the ground too many times and bumping its primer cup out of spec, causing primer feed problems. The upgraded Pro measure coupled with a good cleaning and a new Lee Lever Prime arm (provided at no cost by the good people at Lee) has resolved my issues. (I was using the standard model at the time so I've since upgraded to the Pro model as shown in my pic)

Improvement of my reloading bench area is my main goal for the next few months. I'm debating whether to move to to a bedroom and get one of those portable reloading stands instead of keeping everything in a dingy basement. I currently have the advantage of only reloading ONE caliber right now until I get more comfortable with it so I don't really need a whole bunch of stuff. Box of bullets, container of powder, box of primers, tupperware full of cleaned brass, tumbler loading block and loading manual. I can keep all of that on a single shelf on a portable loader such as one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-155024

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...dingstand.html

Whaddya you all think? Move shop into upstairs walk in closet?? :)

nickE10mm 01-22-2011 07:11

Yesterday I stopped by my local Graf's Reloading store and stocked up on a few more necessities: a pound of IMR-800x, a pount of Alliant Power Pistol, 100 200gr XTP's, 100 175gr cast SWC's and 100 new Winchester cases. I needed a good powder for full power loads (and some new cases for load workups) and a good all-around powder with some cheap bullets.... and some 200gr XTP's to keep my 180gr XTP's company. I should be set for a while on powder. The next thing I forsee needing is more bullets and primers.

When I get a chance, I'm going to start working up a load for small game hunting (headshots) that is mild and accurate with the cast bullets, as well as a full power deer load with new cases, 800x and XTP's.

What I love about reloading is how much I can shoot for the same prices I used to pay to only shoot a box or two. :)

loneeagle 01-22-2011 13:48

Congrats Nick on the set up I am working on my reloading room now, I was looking at the RCBS turrent Press kit off cabelas I have the hornday LNL single stage but was looking at the RCBS cuz you can use it as a single stage as well still debating that. The BIG BROWN truck brought my hornady 500 free 155grn XTP bullets so that is what I am am going to start out with to get going! great set up and have fun.

12dmax 01-22-2011 15:58

WHAT, no blue dot? oh man you better run out and get you some of that! That stuff's the real deal :thumbsup: you get hollywood flash, dirty harry KA-BOOMS and chuck norris accuracy!

XmmAUTO 01-22-2011 19:08

Congrats!

Just curious as to what tumbler you purchased. I use a Thumblers tumbler with a stainless steel tumbling media from these guys www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com

I deprime first with a lee universal decapping die and then run my brass through the tumbler. Cases are squeaky clean in and out as well as the primer pockets.

10mm is what finally forced me to get into reloading.

Xmm

nickE10mm 01-22-2011 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by XmmAUTO (Post 16717870)
Congrats!

Just curious as to what tumbler you purchased. I use a Thumblers tumbler with a stainless steel tumbling media from these guys www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com

I deprime first with a lee universal decapping die and then run my brass through the tumbler. Cases are squeaky clean in and out as well as the primer pockets.

10mm is what finally forced me to get into reloading.

Xmm

Hey bud,

I got my press and accessories from Midsouth Shooters Supply so I ended up getting their own tumbler, which I figured was going to be a cheaper no-frills model and it ended up being really nice with a strong and quiet motor. I use corncob type media from Walmart (lizard litter).

I'm loving my setup so far... Only complaint I have is my bench. I've ordered a Lee portable bench because we will be moving in a couple months and I won't have a workbench to mount my press to.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:39.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.