Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Snubbie Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   S&W 640-1 Gun Show find! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293692)

IvanW 12-12-2010 18:55

S&W 640-1 Gun Show find!

3 Attachment(s)
I posted this on a couple other forums I am on, but thought I'd put it here as well to share my good fortune.
I was at the Harrisburg, PA, MAAC Gun Show yesterday and came across a pristine, 640-1; no lock, NIB. It has beautiful cocobolo grips on and Hogues in the case. The stainless finish is so bright I thought it was nickel at first. The dealer had bought the gun along with many others from a broker who was trying to liquidate a fairly large group of guns a semi-private dealer needed to dispose of, as he had some money issues.
When I initially saw the price ($429) I thought it was a used gun, but closer examination showed the factory grease, etc. in it and it was definitely unfired. The price included the background check so with tax I was on my way for $454!!
This model has been on my short list for awhile and I couldn't believe the deal. The only other 640 I saw at the show was a used, rusty one that I had passed on at the last H-burg show. That dealer had even raised the price of that gun to $579! A local GS I deal with has a 640 with the lock for over $600, so I'm still pinching myself. Even better, the dealer I bought the gun from said it was his understanding that this gun should be eligible for the $50 rebate from S&W. I'll put that paperwork in the mail tomorrow.
I'll try to attch a couple pics of the cleaned up gun, but I've never posted pics before, so bear with me.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

pennlineman 12-12-2010 19:04

Congratulations! I got one just like it about a month ago at the PGCA show in Tarentum Pa. Probably the same dealer. Great gun. I got mine for $424 out the door. :tongueout:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t.../DSCF15992.jpg

Enjoy!

tpr7304 12-13-2010 17:22

Congrats. How was the rest of the show? I haven't been to the Harrisburg show in years. I'm afraid to ask what they charge to get into the show as well as parking.

IvanW 12-13-2010 19:26

pennlineman- I got mine from Jeff at Highland Arms. He did say he had a second gun like mine, so it may well be the mate to yours. Either way both of us got good deals on a great gun.

tpr7304- The show is good - there is something for everyone there, it just depends on what you're looking for. Lots of military surplus stuff to pricey SS shotguns, also a number of knife makers/dealers. Parking: $8 Admission to show: $8.
I got in the show free because I renewed my NRA membership (save $10 on the renewal and get in the show free). They run this show every three months, so next one will be March.

pennlineman 12-14-2010 15:04

They probably are twins. When I found mine I didn't have enough money on me. I asked him if he needed some money to hold it until I found an atm machine. He said not to worry he had another just like it under the table. Whats the chances..........

Glock 17L 12-14-2010 22:44

SWEET!!
The 640-1 is a Classic..
One of these days I'll have one sitting next to my 940..
Gary/Hk

See Ya at the S&W Forum Guys!!'
HEADKNOCKER

cowboywannabe 12-24-2010 08:23

nice! i have two, one is MagNa-Ported because i had to shoot dozens of rounds quickly to qualify with it.

Frizzman 02-13-2011 15:25

That's a fine revolver! I have one I bought new in the early 90's. The 640-1 is the best of the J Frames in my opinion. I have had lots of snubs...Colts, S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Charter Arms. I have had J-K-L-N frame S&W snubs and have several now but if I had to keep only one, the 640-1 would be the one. I've put a good many magnum rounds through it and it has stood up to it without problems. Its not fun to shoot with the 125gr JHP ammo I carry in it but its doable...You got a nice find!

den888 02-13-2011 16:51

Very nice!

AgentM79 09-03-2011 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock 17L (Post 16461711)
SWEET!!
The 640-1 is a Classic..

+1 to that. I lucked in to a good deal ($350) on a "used" S&W 640-1 about two months back. It is pre-lock, has it's original box, and is somewhere between VG and Ex in shape, with factory Uncle Mike's "banana" grips. In the overall, I was surprised by the fact that magnum recoil was so controllable with this gun. I did one 60-round qual course with Fiocchi 142gr magnums, and another 60 round course with 30 rounds Winchester Silvertip 145gr/30 rounds Federal 147gr +P+ Hydra-Shok.

I found that the gun could benefit from an overtravel stop and cylinder chamber chamfering. I think I may send it to the S&W Performance Center.

As for now, I'm going to carry the +P+ Hydra-Shok in this gun.

bac1023 09-04-2011 22:40

Congrats! :cool: