Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The SHOT ShowCase (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=272)
-   -   Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304721)

DannyR 09-29-2010 16:06

Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word

I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.

doneroman 09-29-2010 16:16

Hmm interesting.

What're you gonna do with the 45 gap one? :rofl:

DannyR 09-29-2010 16:19

My competition Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP.:cool:

My carry Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP:

All my Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP

COM165 09-29-2010 16:20

Wow, I can't even tell you how many times that I have dry fired all of my Glocks. What damage can it do?

DannyR 09-29-2010 16:22

I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.

kirgi08 09-29-2010 16:22

tagged.

bentbiker 09-29-2010 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by COM165 (Post 16065323)
What damage can it do?

Cracks in breech face and/or FP.

fullotto69 09-29-2010 16:26

Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?

firefighter4215 09-29-2010 16:27

To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.

Bill Lumberg 09-29-2010 16:28

We had minor breechface damage detected during semi-annual armorer inspection. Over the phone, the glock rep immediately pronounced it to be from dryfiring. It turned out to be someting else, but his immediate pronouncement of dryfiring as the cause told me all I needed to know. That said, many of our guns have been dryfired a thousand or more times with no ill effects. Sans snap caps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyR (Post 16065250)
I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.

SCC 09-29-2010 16:30

:embarassed:

COM165 09-29-2010 16:31

I have a few snap caps for my .40 that have a small recess where the pin will strike. But for my 9mm I have a bag of SAF-T-TRAINERS that are flat in the back (no recess for pin to strike). They are blaze orange and made by a co. called Precision Gun Specialties Inc. I had used them for malfunction drills. Are these considered "snap caps" and is it safe to use them in my 19?

chasbo00 09-29-2010 16:40

At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."

FobulousGlock 09-29-2010 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasbo00 (Post 16065417)
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."

Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?

Jeff82 09-29-2010 16:55

:wow:

chasbo00 09-29-2010 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by FobulousGlock (Post 16065472)
Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?

I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.

MoNsTeR 09-29-2010 17:04

Who cares who said it? Gaston Glock himself could say that and it wouldn't mean anything. at. all. Either it will damage the gun or it won't. That's an empirical question that has nothing to do with what engineering, marketing, customer service, or anyone else says on the subject.

Glocks&Ducs 09-29-2010 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasbo00 (Post 16065417)

I think you are taking the advice just a bit too literal. Some people dry fire hundreds, if not thousands, of times in a relatively short period of time for trigger practice. I'm sure this was meant to address those situations.

DannyR 09-29-2010 17:15

My quote comes from Glock, Inc., in Smyrna, GA.

Glocks&Ducs 09-29-2010 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasbo00 (Post 16065509)
I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.

So don't pull it back that far. Problem solved.