Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Georgia Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Carry at Hartsfield? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311137)

Romadoc 01-28-2011 15:03

Carry at Hartsfield?

Is it true that one can now carry in the non-sterile parts of the airport (waiting at arrivals section or parking areas)?

tmoore912 01-28-2011 15:14

It seems to be true. The Airport management even had a press release or something about it several months ago. I know of one person who rode Marta to the airport and went into the non-secure areas, shopped, ate and then left on Marta while OCing a AK-47 style pistol. Nothing happened to him and he was never approached and detained by security.

I'm not saying it was the smartest thing to do, but I do know it happened.

GaGlock01 01-28-2011 21:54

What's the first rule of concealed carry? if you do your job properly no one will ever know unless you go through security.

I don't remember what happened to that, I know they were trying to pass it sometime ago, but I think for some reason it did NOT go through. I believe the airport officials found a way to to stop it from passing.

But then I got back to my first question, what's the first rule of concealed carry, concealment.

I believe this to be true.. The city nor the state make the security laws concerning ANY airport. I believe ALL air ports are under Federal law, in the US., Homeland Security.

So no. Carrying on federal property is NOT allowed, nor allowed at ANY airport.

norm357 01-29-2011 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoore912 (Post 16758403)
It seems to be true. The Airport management even had a press release or something about it several months ago. I know of one person who rode Marta to the airport and went into the non-secure areas, shopped, ate and then left on Marta while OCing a AK-47 style pistol. Nothing happened to him and he was never approached and detained by security.

I'm not saying it was the smartest thing to do, but I do know it happened.

I can guarentee you that either you were lied to or you are full of crap.

Warp 01-29-2011 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaGlock01 (Post 16760871)
What's the first rule of concealed carry? if you do your job properly no one will ever know unless you go through security.

I don't remember what happened to that, I know they were trying to pass it sometime ago, but I think for some reason it did NOT go through. I believe the airport officials found a way to to stop it from passing.

But then I got back to my first question, what's the first rule of concealed carry, concealment.

I believe this to be true.. The city nor the state make the security laws concerning ANY airport. I believe ALL air ports are under Federal law, in the US., Homeland Security.

So no. Carrying on federal property is NOT allowed, nor allowed at ANY airport.

Some of us open carry from time to time.

When carrying openly that rule obviously does not apply.

And you would be amazed at how good some people are at spotting those who are carrying a firearm. Sure, if you carry a little .25 or P3AT in a smartcarry under jeans and an untucked shirt they almost surely will never know unless you get scanned...but if you carry a firearm of reasonable size in an accessible location it is possible for you to be "made" in the right circumstances by a knowledgeable and experienced observer.

g29guy 01-29-2011 22:05

hartsfield carry laws

You can carry in the atrium at Hartsfield airport. The FAA and TSA do not come into effect until you are in the sterile area.
The laws concerning the airport are under the city's jurisdiction. The airport would have to post a gun ban on the doors of all entrances just like the schools and police offices do.

cpelliott 01-31-2011 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by g29guy (Post 16767209)
The airport would have to post a gun ban on the doors of all entrances just like the schools and police offices do.

Posting is only a requirement under federal law. Areas off-limits under Georgia law do not require a notice.

After SB308 passed, it wasn't really clear if the airport counted as a building where a governmental entity is housed (whatever that means). I was very surprised when the mayor announced they would stop arresting people for carrying.

GooberTim 01-31-2011 15:31

Lots of misinformation in the postings thus far. If you folks were members of GeorgiaCarry, you'd be up to date on all this stuff! :whistling:

Open carry is perfectly legal in Georgia.

The laws pertaining to weapons in the area of the airport outside TSA are state laws and there is no preemption there.

Part of the Atl Airport is off limits, as defined under "Government Buildings", but not the entire airport. I would suppose the offices of the folks managing the facility, among others. (Source: http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode...11&section=127 )

It is legal to carry in the non-sterile areas of airports in 42 (forty two) states. (Source: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/abou...title=Airports )