Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ruger Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Range report Mk III Target/TALO Special (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311575)

NRV Shooter 01-29-2011 18:48

Range report Mk III Target/TALO Special

I just bought a new Mark III Target, in the TALO distributor's special version, with 4.5" fluted barrel and beautiful rosewood looking stocks that have a little bit of a thumb rest for right handed shooters.

I shot it this week and it is an absolute tack driver with some Winchester and CCI ammo. It fits and balances better than my 22/45 with a longer barrel and it seems to shoot a tighter group when I can hold still. The fiber optic front sight is easier to see than the blade on the 22/45, at least for me on the indoor range. I'll shoot them both outside once the temperature gets above freezing.

Shooting these .22's is more fun than my 9mm and the .44 I used to have, not to mention cheaper!

MinervaDoe 01-30-2011 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRV Shooter (Post 16765777)
Shooting these .22's is more fun than my 9mm and the .44 I used to have, not to mention cheaper!

I have a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel which always used to be my second gun on any visit to the range. I bought it in the eighties. The gun must have like a ga-billion rounds through it. And, I only clean it about every 5,000 rounds (or when it starts jamming) whichever comes first. There are definitely bait box guns that get treated better than this thing.

It's still a tack driver. It's still very reliable.

ForeverGlock 01-30-2011 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinervaDoe (Post 16769883)
I have a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel which always used to be my second gun on any visit to the range. I bought it in the eighties. The gun must have like a ga-billion rounds through it. And, I only clean it about every 5,000 rounds (or when it starts jamming) whichever comes first. There are definitely bait box guns that get treated better than this thing.

It's still a tack driver. It's still very reliable.

I love my Mk III target and it shoots pretty tight groups. It's a pain to clean but like all my other guns gets cleaned after every trip to the range. I guess I'm just "old school" when it comes to that. If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.

MinervaDoe 01-30-2011 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverGlock (Post 16773453)
I love my Mk III target and it shoots pretty tight groups. It's a pain to clean but like all my other guns gets cleaned after every trip to the range. I guess I'm just "old school" when it comes to that. If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.

The original hinged pin that holds my Mark II together was too tight and made it a real wrestling match to take apart. The pin eventually broke and Ruger replaced it for free, but by then, my habits were set.

Can anybody explain the difference between a MKII and a MKIII?

ForeverGlock 02-01-2011 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinervaDoe (Post 16774196)
The original hinged pin that holds my Mark II together was too tight and made it a real wrestling match to take apart. The pin eventually broke and Ruger replaced it for free, but by then, my habits were set.

Didn't mean that as a dig. My gunsmith even told me I clean my guns too much. Gotta admit that surprised me.

MinervaDoe 02-01-2011 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverGlock (Post 16784445)
Didn't mean that as a dig. My gunsmith even told me I clean my guns too much. Gotta admit that surprised me.

I didn't take it as a dig. I've owned my 1911 since 1987. I just figured out how to take it apart a few months back. I'm kind of a slob that way. If it's any consolation, I cleaned three of my guns yesterday and I cleaned my wife's Remington 1100 after we went to the range on Sunday. I guess there's a first for everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverGlock (Post 16773453)
If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.

I was never in the service. There wasn't much point since I would have been a prime candidate for a Section 8 from the get go.

NRV Shooter 02-01-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinervaDoe (Post 16774196)

I think the differences are that the Mark III has a loaded chanber indicator, an internal safety lock, and will not fire with the magazine out of the gun.

I stripped my new gun prior to firing and the hinged pin was very tight but I got it out with a wooden dowel and a pecking hammer. After working with it a few times it loosened up a little. I could not get the barrel off the frame, at least not by applying an amount of force I thought safe without risking damage, so I just left it on and went shooting. A few hundred rounds should loosen things up.

I have learned the value of "RTFM" through dealling with these guns. :wow:

MinervaDoe 02-01-2011 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRV Shooter (Post 16785714)
I have learned the value of "RTFM" through dealling with these guns. :wow:

That goes triple for the Ruger Mark models. It's the only gun I own where turning the gun uspide down and shaking a part into position is a documented step in reassembly.

drakeky 02-14-2011 21:10

I love the Ruger .22 pistols. I want on just like the one you bought. Have looked at them on gunbroker two or three times but havent pulled the trigger yet.

bac1023 02-22-2011 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRV Shooter (Post 16765777)
I just bought a new Mark III Target, in the TALO distributor's special version, with 4.5" fluted barrel and beautiful rosewood looking stocks that have a little bit of a thumb rest for right handed shooters.

I shot it this week and it is an absolute tack driver with some Winchester and CCI ammo. It fits and balances better than my 22/45 with a longer barrel and it seems to shoot a tighter group when I can hold still. The fiber optic front sight is easier to see than the blade on the 22/45, at least for me on the indoor range. I'll shoot them both outside once the temperature gets above freezing.

Congrats on a fine rimfire.

HotRoderX 02-22-2011 23:26

Talo Editions are sweet looking a special with all the nice extras they add congratulations on a sweet pistol.

janice6 02-22-2011 23:32

I shoot a S&W 22S with a 7"(?) barrel plus a Red Dot Holo sight and it is incredible.

The finish on this pistole is crap. It dissolves with cleaning fluid.