Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gun-Parts & Access. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Remora Holster Review/Purchasing Experience (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329355)

cgnavarro 03-19-2011 16:07

Remora Holster Review/Purchasing Experience
 
I first heard about Remora Holsters on a firearms podcast I listen to regularly, and thought the idea of a clip-less holster very intriguing. Several weeks ago I purchased one after having listened to and reading several more positive reviews. I purchased a model 6ART for my Glock 27. I received it on a Saturday, within a week of ordering it. After working with it for the day in different strong side positions and cants, I realized that I couldn't draw the pistol without the holster coming out with it. It seemed that the holster was covering too much of the grip frame. As I gripped the gun, my index finger inevitably pinched just a bit of the holster material between the frame and my index finger. This caused enough friction on the grippy material to bring the holster with the gun. I found that particularly odd seeing as I had order an "ART" model which was supposed to be cut to better allow access to the pistol's grip.

That very evening I used the "Contact Us" feature on the Remora Holsters website to inform them of the issue I was having, and what I thought the cause was. I inquired as to how I could verify I received the right product, and if they would be willing to exchange my holster for a smaller model that exposed more of my pistol's grip frame.

Within less than two hours, I had an email reply from the Owner of the company, Alan Bogdan:

"Thank you for purchasing a REMORA holster....You can look inside the top of the holster it should be written there what series and style you have.....If it is the 6 ART that would be the lowest profile holster we make as a stock holster...this is really the first problem with un-holstering of this style and series we have received any feedback on ....How ever un-holstering is of the most importance.... I will do a custom holster lowering the profile by the grip giving you a little more access to the grip.....I will ship the holster out next week at no charge....Keep the existing holster maybe you have a friend with a different gun that the holster may accommodate... Thank you again for choosing REMORA

Keep Safe !!"

When I read this message, I was astounded at the level of customer service he was willing to provide. Not only did he take the time to address my issue right away (and on a Sunday), but he offered me a brand new custom holster to boot at no charge.

After that, Alan and I exchanged a couple of emails with pictures and a video demonstrating the specifics of my issue with the holster. Within just a few days, I had a brand new custom holster specifically tailored to fit my gun, a Remora Holsters gun mat, and a hand written note. He even upgraded my new holster to a reinforced top model.

Having used the holster for a few weeks now, I couldn't be more pleased. It's comfortable, retains my gun well without slowing down my draw, and it disappears in any waistband. I can even substantiate the claims that it will hold in place in sweats with just a cinched up drawstring.

I would have no reservations in recommending a Remora holster to anyone looking for a top-notch concealment holster, with top-notch customer service behind it. Their products are innovative, quality built, and company ownership goes above and beyond to satisfy their clients.

Link to the Remora Holsters website:
http://remoraholsters.com/

Link to the Remora Holsters "Reviews" page containing other reviews, photos, and some very compelling videos on the holsters retention abilities.
http://remoraholsters.com/Reviews.html

Link to "Average Joe's Handgun Reviews", the first review I encountered when I began researching these holsters.
http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...-holsters.html

Link to "The Gun Nation Podcast" episode # 28 where I first heard about Remora Holsters.
http://www.gunnation.us/2010/08/8-27...ack-lever.html

racer88 03-20-2011 12:14

Wow! That's amazing service! I just bought two of them today at the Palm Beach gun show.

vinnynj 07-09-2011 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgnavarro (Post 17072501)
I first heard about Remora Holsters on a firearms podcast I listen to regularly, and thought the idea of a clip-less holster very intriguing. Several weeks ago I purchased one after having listened to and reading several more positive reviews. I purchased a model 6ART for my Glock 27. I received it on a Saturday, within a week of ordering it. After working with it for the day in different strong side positions and cants, I realized that I couldn't draw the pistol without the holster coming out with it. It seemed that the holster was covering too much of the grip frame. As I gripped the gun, my index finger inevitably pinched just a bit of the holster material between the frame and my index finger. This caused enough friction on the grippy material to bring the holster with the gun. I found that particularly odd seeing as I had order an "ART" model which was supposed to be cut to better allow access to the pistol's grip.

That very evening I used the "Contact Us" feature on the Remora Holsters website to inform them of the issue I was having, and what I thought the cause was. I inquired as to how I could verify I received the right product, and if they would be willing to exchange my holster for a smaller model that exposed more of my pistol's grip frame.

Within less than two hours, I had an email reply from the Owner of the company, Alan Bogdan:

"Thank you for purchasing a REMORA holster....You can look inside the top of the holster it should be written there what series and style you have.....If it is the 6 ART that would be the lowest profile holster we make as a stock holster...this is really the first problem with un-holstering of this style and series we have received any feedback on ....How ever un-holstering is of the most importance.... I will do a custom holster lowering the profile by the grip giving you a little more access to the grip.....I will ship the holster out next week at no charge....Keep the existing holster maybe you have a friend with a different gun that the holster may accommodate... Thank you again for choosing REMORA

Keep Safe !!"

When I read this message, I was astounded at the level of customer service he was willing to provide. Not only did he take the time to address my issue right away (and on a Sunday), but he offered me a brand new custom holster to boot at no charge.

After that, Alan and I exchanged a couple of emails with pictures and a video demonstrating the specifics of my issue with the holster. Within just a few days, I had a brand new custom holster specifically tailored to fit my gun, a Remora Holsters gun mat, and a hand written note. He even upgraded my new holster to a reinforced top model.

Having used the holster for a few weeks now, I couldn't be more pleased. It's comfortable, retains my gun well without slowing down my draw, and it disappears in any waistband. I can even substantiate the claims that it will hold in place in sweats with just a cinched up drawstring.

I would have no reservations in recommending a Remora holster to anyone looking for a top-notch concealment holster, with top-notch customer service behind it. Their products are innovative, quality built, and company ownership goes above and beyond to satisfy their clients.

Same experience except I ordered the wrong model but even the correct one made my j-Frame ride a little too high in my pocket. Alan custom made one with an open bottom that fit perfectly and made the gun ride about a half inch lower in my pocket. Also had a problem with the LCP holster as it kept coming out of the pocket because it covered too much of the gun. He sent another model and it works much better although I do not have a full combat grip on the LCP like I do with the Nemises pocket holster so i will use it for IWB or those times when I want to both pocket and IWB carry like while driving to a shopping mall.

theglockside 11-09-2011 09:08

I just ordered a holster from them. I decided to call Remora first before ordering to make sure what "cut" would be best. He said the ART6 is ideal for the g27 as its the smaller side of the size 6 and the art is ideal for a positive grip. Also the less materiel wont affect retention when IWB. He also said because I called he would give me a FREE MAG POUCH. Now that's awesome customer service. I hope I like the holsters as much as others do. I will be needing a few more if so.

NMG26 11-09-2011 09:58

I bought one for my Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 in barrel.

Really cool to be able to pocket cary my Blackhawk in the front pocket of my jeans. LOL

I also have one for my LCR and it works great Appendix or pocket.





..

Klaatu 12-12-2011 18:21

Remora gets my kudos also.

Was looking for an alternative to crossbreed-type holster and because of positive Remora user feedback, thought I'd give its no-clip design a try. Called Remora's customer service and spoke with Bogdan who recommended a 10SS. Asked about Sweat Shield properties and not only did Bogdan explain about it, he offered to send the new Full SS (for the price of SS) along with a free mag pouch just for calling. Received items promptly but found 10SS was sent instead of 10FSS. Emailed customer service about this and they promptly sent 10FSS and another mag pouch at no cost!

Talk about outstanding customer service.

jb1911 12-13-2011 18:35

I love Remora holsters but I can't use them. I get a nasty rash if I wear it all day, even if my underwear is between it and my skin. Bummer. If it wasn't for that the Remora would be all I'd use.

HRK 05-17-2012 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb1911 (Post 18282497)
I love Remora holsters but I can't use them. I get a nasty rash if I wear it all day, even if my underwear is between it and my skin. Bummer. If it wasn't for that the Remora would be all I'd use.

Funny I've worn one for a year with no problems, got a new one
for a different gun and got a rash, thought it was maybe the heat as it was on a very hot day, rash took a while to go down,

Worn a different one I got with a new 1911 and bam it's back even through the underwear... :embarassed:

Cgrubb1 05-17-2012 21:11

I was curious about their 3 in 1 holster and sent a few emails. All were answered promptly. Alan helped me get the right holster for my LCR and sent a free mag pouch. I like the product, and service.
On an unrelated note, I have gotten a rash ony ankle whn using it as an ankle holster. I have never used an ankle holster, but I don't think this particular model is the most comfortable for ankle carry. I do like it for IWB though.

jtohio 05-22-2012 09:00

I bought 2 remora holsters. 1 for my Smith and Wesson Shield and one for my wifes LCR. So far she hasn't worn hers at all, but I wear mine all the time. I love the holster! We took my kids for a bike ride last night about 5 miles....We were racing each other and off and on the bike with no problems......All in basketball shorts.

I am considering buying a LCP and would love a remora for in the pocket carry, but not to sure they make one cut back enough I can quickly access the gun from my pants pocket.

SEARTraining 05-22-2012 10:21

The subcompact will fit in the 10ART giving you a holster for the compact and subcompact models. If you do not have a sub then the 6ART would be the best option. Love mine. Below is my video review.


NJR 06-15-2013 11:23

This is probably a dumb question but is there any retention against a gun grab for this holster?

NMG26 06-15-2013 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJR (Post 20376453)
This is probably a dumb question but is there any retention against a gun grab for this holster?

Appendix carry concealed pretty much keeps the gun front and center. I always feel secure. I would not want to go hand to hand though............with any of my holsters.

So that is a no. No retention. You just have to pay attention.

.

Klaatu 06-15-2013 13:15

My Remora mag pouch doubles as an Ontario Rat Folder knife holder. Works great.
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/r...o/P1000572.jpg

Rockimook 06-15-2013 15:18

Alan is very helpful. They have a great product at a great price. I make sure I get one for all my carry guns even if I dont plan on it being my main holster. Its a good back-up/quick trip holster.

NJR 06-15-2013 19:59

Thanks for the info folks. Buying a holster is such a PITA, it's like buying pants. Too many damn choices and hardly anything fits just right.

I'm definitely going to get one for the Chief's Special, and probably for the Glock 20. I just bought a Desantis Softuck and the damn thing bulges out from underneath my tshirt and shorts. I had a Desantis Insider with a KelTec PF9 and that was concealed but the grip sat at belt level.

I just ordered an Alessi Deep Cover for the Chief's Special but may cancel the order unless they can get rid of the reinforced mouth and maybe put on a small retention strap instead. Frankly, it just sounds like a more expensive, somewhat better version of the sof tuck.

Anyway, the Remora looks comfortable and concealable without all the BS tactical operator features.

NJR 06-15-2013 22:38

Just took my RAMI in the Mika holster and canted it so that the grip sat in the hollow in front of my hip, maybe a 15 to 20 degree cant. Even the RAMI pretty much disappeared, so I'm sure the Remora will work great for the Chief's Special and the RAMI. I think I'll use something more secure for the Glock 20 though and put that at around 430.

colin1230 06-16-2013 00:15

I was looking for a way to holster my G26 while traveling in the car. I normally carry it in a White Hat Max Tuck but found it uncomfortable setting in tight bucket seats with it holstered. I checked out several car holster rigs but most required drilling holes to mount which was totally out of the question. I wanted the gun within easy reach of my right hand, between the passenger seat and console maybe? Walla, the Remora works wonderful. When entering the car my G26 comes out of the White Hat and right into the Remora. For a little discression, I put my hat over it. Oh, the Remora is a pretty nice IWB holster also.

jp3975 06-16-2013 19:56

I like them quite a bit.

Its the only reasonably priced holster that will accommodate a laser.

jbailey8 06-16-2013 20:07

So.... That extra holster you got... Will it accommodate my G23? Hint hint...

:rofl:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.