Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Concealed carriers generally wear holsters,why? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341515)

barstoolguru 05-09-2011 11:07

Concealed carriers generally wear holsters,why?

quote: "Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster".

I am making a comment on RussP’s tread “LE perspective: dealing with legally carrying a concealed weapon “ and in the article the author makes a comment that “Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster“.
The question is why do you think they don’t?
is there an advantage to not wearing one?
Is there a “cool factor” involved?
Is it just a money thing ?
Is it just that they don’t know it is safer or just don‘t care?

lets face it.... it amazes me that they can carry a weapon in there pants with out one they are so loose

ImDaGlockinator! 05-09-2011 11:10

I think that in many cases felons haven't bothered to take firearms safety classes which typically encourage the student to carry their firearm in a holster(preferably a retention holster of some sort)

F2blica 05-09-2011 11:19

If they have to ditch their "piece" quickly they're not caught walking around with a holster on their hip when a cop is questioning them.

Gator Monroe 05-09-2011 11:20

If we could all carry the way Jack Black carried the hidden 1911A1 as the Lead Farmer brought him to the Drug Gangs compound on the back of the water buffalo in Tropic Thunder we would not need holsters .:rofl:

GunFighter45ACP 05-09-2011 11:23

Good Guys: Carry firearms responsibly, appreciate the need for comfortable, all day carry, & want a consistent 'grab' on the firearm, when needed. A good holster will generally keep your firearm at the same cant, ride height, and location on the body for that consistency.

Bad Guys: no responsibilities, only carry a gun when they want to cause trouble or confront trouble, & don't like 'evidence' that they were carrying a weapon when confronted by a legal authority.

zigzagg321 05-09-2011 11:24

Seems simple to me, retention.

Warp 05-09-2011 11:25

Why don't felons carry in a holster?

Well, for one thing they would have to go find/acquire a holster that fits the firearm they are carrying at that particular time. That is probably seen as an unnecessary hassle and, potentially, even something which increases risk/exposure.

It's probably easier to ditch the gun than the holster + gun.

Most holsters are designed to be worn on a belt.

mrsurfboard 05-09-2011 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by barstoolguru (Post 17320303)
quote: "Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster".

I am making a comment on RussP’s tread “LE perspective: dealing with legally carrying a concealed weapon “ and in the article the author makes a comment that “Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster“.

lets face it.... it amazes me that they can carry a weapon in there pants with out one they are so loose

To quote a famous Vorlon Ambassador "Yes"

philvsphil 05-09-2011 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImDaGlockinator! (Post 17320314)
I think that in many cases felons haven't bothered to take firearms safety classes which typically encourage the student to carry their firearm in a holster(preferably a retention holster of some sort)

I live in Miami, FL they aren't ALLOWED to take these courses or allowed to go into gun ranges. I don't know if it's the same everywhere else :dunno:

janice6 05-09-2011 11:54

The purpose of my holster is to cover the trigger.

Thugs don't care if they endanger someone nearby with ND.

mrsurfboard 05-09-2011 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImDaGlockinator! (Post 17320314)

You're kidding, right?

RRTX11 05-09-2011 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsurfboard (Post 17320507)
You're kidding, right?

I don't think he understands that a "felon" cannot even TOUCH a firearm as long as their felony is on record. They could train with a toy gun possibly???

GK

dosei 05-09-2011 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by barstoolguru (Post 17320303)

:faint:

If you understood the origins of the term "mexican carry", you would then understand the reason why those who illegally carry a firearm generally prefer to not use a holster.

F2blica understands the reason...
Quote:

Originally Posted by F2blica (Post 17320354)
If they have to ditch their "piece" quickly they're not caught walking around with a holster on their hip when a cop is questioning them.

collim1 05-09-2011 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosei (Post 17320929)
:faint:

If you understood the origins of the term "mexican carry", you would then understand the reason why those who illegally carry a firearm generally prefer to not use a holster.

F2blica understands the reason...

I agree. Most dont "carry" the gun. They keep it close, in their girlfriend's purse, under a car seat, etc...

BobbyT 05-09-2011 14:22

It's just one of those Catch-22 situations, like how the type of person who could sit down and plan the perfect crime is the type who wouldn't commit it, whereas the guy who does gets caught over something stupid.

Why do thugs tat themselves into oblivion and drive cars with busted lights, tacky rims, and temp tags that are 3 years old? Why don't drug transporters put on a suit and tie, have a clean shave, and if pulled over speak to the officer politely so he has no reason to suspect they have 100 kilos of coke in back?

Luckily, most thugs are stupid and therefore easier to catch. Generalities are generally true.

swinokur 05-09-2011 16:29

2 reasons

They didn't take an NRA handgun course, so they don't know the 4 rules.

You can't draw from a holster when your pants are hanging down under your butt

Dr.Midnight 05-09-2011 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator Monroe (Post 17320359)
If we could all carry the way Jack Black carried the hidden 1911A1 as the Lead Farmer brought him to the Drug Gangs compound on the back of the water buffalo in Tropic Thunder we would not need holsters .:rofl:

I love that movie!

John Biltz 05-09-2011 18:52

Because the term criminal genius really doesn't apply to many.

michael e 05-09-2011 19:06

Easy answer. They dont want to have to buy a new holster every time a hombeboy sells them the newest gun they stole.

Kory 05-09-2011 22:39

Simple, they can't afford them. They spent all their money on their grill and ice. It's tough to be a gangstur ;)