Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   What are the top 20 bug out / survival luxuries that are not luxuries? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370315)

Aceman 09-18-2011 20:46

What are the top 20 bug out / survival luxuries that are not luxuries?
 
Inspired by a couple of responses to my bug out bag thread.

The following items were mentioed:

Wash Rag: Never thought of that - but I can immediately see the value!

Nail clippers: Not something I'd think about, but i would be hating life after a week if I couldn't.


What other items would you say seem non-essential, but could really make life much more pleasant - or very unpleasant with out them! While perhaps not life-threatening...

Big Bird 09-18-2011 21:14

Tooth brush. No matter how bad things get--they will get a lot worse if you don't take care of you mouth. Surviving a catastrophe sucks real bad--but with a toothache? You need to brush your teeth regardless.

cowboy1964 09-18-2011 21:58

I could go a few weeks without clipping nails. Plus you have small knife blades and a file on your multi-tool.

Hour13 09-18-2011 22:20

Toilet paper. Scissors to cut hair/trim beard. Tweezers. Butt-loads of wet-wipes.

Outside of that, some form of entertainment. Books, porn, boardgames, deck of cards... whatever floats yer boat.

We always think of the "action" involved in a SHTF situation. Attackers, securing a food/water source, etc... But the fact is, once you reach a safe area and hole up, things are gonna get real dull, real quick.

Five things that will seriously ****** with your head;

1) Fear
2) Thirst
3) Hunger.
4) Fatigue.
5) Sheer boredom.

Oh, and a pillow. A pillow would be nice...
:supergrin:

UtahIrishman 09-18-2011 22:25

A deck of playing cards comes to mind.

DJ Niner 09-18-2011 22:36

A small notepad and writing implement(s). Useful for recording general observations, thoughts, things to do later, maps/lay-of-land/directions, people movements, resources seen while moving through an area, storage caches for future use, areas to avoid, etc. Many, many uses.

Hour13 09-18-2011 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Niner (Post 17935902)
A small notepad and writing implement(s). Useful for recording general observations, thoughts, things to do later, maps/lay-of-land/directions, people movements, resources seen while moving through an area, storage caches for future use, areas to avoid, etc. Many, many uses.

^^^ This! Didn't even think of that, but it makes perfect sense. It'd take me all of an hour to wish I'd packed a pen & pad. :wow:

TangoFoxtrot 09-19-2011 03:11

To add to DJ's pen and pad also add a marker to leave messages to followers if you need to be found (or not).

RatDrall 09-19-2011 05:11

After learning to make and use a bow-drill to make a fire, I never take for granted ferro rods, lighters, matches, etc.

Same thing for containers, they suck to make and are crude when forced into it. A stainless steel canteen is probably what I would give up last. Drinking directly from ponds or creeks is not cool...

pugman 09-19-2011 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hour13 (Post 17935916)
^^^ This! Didn't even think of that, but it makes perfect sense. It'd take me all of an hour to wish I'd packed a pen & pad. :wow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot (Post 17936223)
To add to DJ's pen and pad also add a marker to leave messages to followers if you need to be found (or not).


I would trade in the pen for a pencil.

Pens break, explode ink on everything, run in the rain, dry out.

part of my kit are two golfers pencils

My item: chapstick. I would have gone with Bird's toothbrush/paste first. I have moved myself and others thousands of miles. NOTHING makes me feel better than stopping at a truck stop and brushing my teeth.

kirgi08 09-22-2011 11:12

sun glasses.'08.

yukon2004 09-22-2011 11:20

Nice pen that will be reliable. Take extra refills.

http://www.spacepen.com/images/produ...ersion_900.jpg

http://www.spacepen.com/trekker-1.aspx

Good notebooks:

http://www.riteintherain.com/images/.../973T-MXlr.jpg

http://www.riteintherain.com/default.aspx

G29Reload 09-22-2011 11:31

Matches. Yeah, you can rub two sticks together, but when you need it in a hurry...

Salt. Bland food sucks. So does dehydration after an afternoon hike...or bug out.


Shoes/boots. Mall's closed, people...and it aint comin' back.

Bilbo Bagins 09-22-2011 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hour13 (Post 17935856)
Toilet paper. Scissors to cut hair/trim beard. Tweezers. Butt-loads of wet-wipes.

Outside of that, some form of entertainment. Books, porn, boardgames, deck of cards... whatever floats yer boat.

We always think of the "action" involved in a SHTF situation. Attackers, securing a food/water source, etc... But the fact is, once you reach a safe area and hole up, things are gonna get real dull, real quick.

Five things that will seriously ****** with your head;

1) Fear
2) Thirst
3) Hunger.
4) Fatigue.
5) Sheer boredom.

Oh, and a pillow. A pillow would be nice...
:supergrin:


+1 on the pillow. I have a stuff sack in my BOB that is waterproof nylon on the outside and fleece lined on the inside. Pull it inside out and stuff it with extra clothing, crunched up paper, leaves, or whatever and you have a decent pillow.

http://www.rei.com/product/795043/rei-pillow-stuff-sack

I also agree with the wipes, soap, a toothbrush, and maybe a deck of cards or a book.

jellis11 09-22-2011 11:40

I have a few pairs of socks stuffed on various bags. I hate wet feet.

quake 09-22-2011 14:51

Have to agree with toilet paper & wet-wipes. I'm not as tough & invulnerable as I used to be. (Or at least used to think I was...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugman (Post 17936433)
...My item: chapstick.

The light-blue medicated chapstick is also good for putting on small cuts, scrapes, etc to help prevent infections. Same medications (camphor and menthol iirc) that kill viruses and micro-bugs on the mouth kills them elsewhere as well. My normal treatment for a minor cut when out & about is simply let bleed a little, clean as best possible, chapstick & then krazy glue. Works pretty well when you're out away from things.

puckhead 09-22-2011 16:16

Dont forget medications, especially if you have something bad like asthma or diabetes.

Hour13 09-22-2011 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellis11 (Post 17950047)
I have a few pairs of socks stuffed on various bags. I hate wet feet.

This! ^^^

Lol, I'll probably be carrying more weight in socks, than in ammo. Kinda OCD bout socks. I change 'em twice a day, sort 'em by the wear from my feet left & right, and I buy ONLY "GoldToe" brand. The only socks I've ever had that don't creep down & bunch up in my shoes.

My "sock thing" provides my GF with endless entertainment. When she wants to screw with me, she only folds and puts away my 'left' socks, and hides the rest.

AAAAAAAARGH!!!!
:steamed:

JimIsland 09-22-2011 19:32

Floss, Q tips, my trusty handheld GPS with pleny of batteries among just a few.

Pro 2A 09-23-2011 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hour13 (Post 17951758)
This! ^^^
I buy ONLY "GoldToe" brand. The only socks I've ever had that don't creep down & bunch up in my shoes.

Go to a sporting goods store and get the socks intended for soccer players. I used to only buy Goldtoe till I found these!! They last WAY WAY longer than Goldtoe, are slightly thicker and they stay up! I get the black ones, but they come in various colors too. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.