Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 21 Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Shooting a cartridge with a case shorter than the chamber? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421262)

vaquero aleman 05-14-2012 08:16

Shooting a cartridge with a case shorter than the chamber?

Somewhere in the multitude of threads I remember a coment stating that a cartridge that is slightly shorter than the barrel chamber that it was designed for is not safe to shoot in that barrel. Is this a myth or is there a specific reason not to shoot ammo from a barrel with a gap? And if this is the case, then why not a problem with a revolver, since all revolvers shoot with a gap between the shell and the beginning of the barrel?

WeeWilly 05-14-2012 08:33

Like everything in reloading, depends probably applies. I can shoot .40S&W out of my 10mm. The case headspaces on the extractor (that can happen when loading with the "proper" cases anyway) and when the round fires it is going to be slammed up against the breech face anyway. The chamber will need to be cleaned when you want to return to the proper brass for reliable feed. Also, you want to make sure the ogive gets to the throat or I could envision other problems...

reflex264 05-14-2012 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaquero aleman (Post 18964742)
Somewhere in the multitude of threads I remember a coment stating that a cartridge that is slightly shorter than the barrel chamber that it was designed for is not safe to shoot in that barrel. Is this a myth or is there a specific reason not to shoot ammo from a barrel with a gap? And if this is the case, then why not a problem with a revolver, since all revolvers shoot with a gap between the shell and the beginning of the barrel?

In auto pistols that headspace on the rim it is possible to have misfires. I remember reading specificaly on the Rowland not to shoot ACP or Supers in it because of that very problem.

In the case of the 10mm/40 the nature of the .40 case will hang in the chamber mouth on the extractor as WeeWilly stated. I have heard of several gents shooting .40s from their 10s with no problems.

In revolvers there are some problems. I remember Freedom Arms putting out a bulletin because shooters were shooting .45 LC in their .454 revolvers. Carbon build up was causing big problems when they tried to shoot the .454s later. reflex264

vaquero aleman 05-14-2012 17:08

I threw caution to the wind today, since I received my Sprinco Cor Bon recoil reducer for my 21 I decided to take a mag of 45 super and a mag of 460 Rowland over to the shooting hole. I have a LWD 45TH that I reamed out for 460 Rowland and cut the threaded portion of the barrel off to make it easier for CCW.

I ran the 45 Super first and except for the feeding problems that I have been having, I had no other problems. And, of course, the 460 Rowland feeding problems were much worse. But, I can say that it shot the 45 Super very well. It only misfed about every 4th round. Once I get my extra power mag springs it will most likely feed 45 Super flawlessly.

I saw no buildup of carbon at the throat either, granted I only shot 13 rounds of 45 Super. I feel satisfied that it will handle 45 Super or ACP.

But that does not mean that I won't keep asking questions. I am very interested in reading stories about peoples experience with gaps in pistol barrels. I really don't want to be one of the statistics.

P.S. The Sprinco probably works great for 45 ACP hot loads, but it did not tame the 460 Rowland, the slide was smackin the frame pretty good. Next range trip I am going to use my 24# recoil spring with the Sprinco unit.

reflex264 05-15-2012 06:24

Although mine runs perfect with the 24# spring I am thinking one more pound would actualy improve mine. Most of the time I run it as a +P+ with the 19# spring. It is still a real killer as a +P+ without as much fuss. reflex264

vaquero aleman 05-15-2012 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by reflex264 (Post 18968646)
Although mine runs perfect with the 24# spring I am thinking one more pound would actualy improve mine. Most of the time I run it as a +P+ with the 19# spring. It is still a real killer as a +P+ without as much fuss. reflex264

If your talking about a 25# recoil spring, I have not been able to find one, anywhere. When I checked out Ace Custom 45's I saw that he uses a 25# for 45 Super conversions. So I went looking for a 25er and came up empty. Was he just betting that we would have no way of knowing the difference?

reflex264 05-15-2012 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaquero aleman (Post 18968795)
If your talking about a 25# recoil spring, I have not been able to find one, anywhere. When I checked out Ace Custom 45's I saw that he uses a 25# for 45 Super conversions. So I went looking for a 25er and came up empty. Was he just betting that we would have no way of knowing the difference?

I haven't found one either. He probably has them made. It would be nice with the 255 bb load. reflex264

vaquero aleman 05-15-2012 08:39

I sent my Sprinco Cor Bon unit back to Sprinco this morning. When I get it back it will have a heavier sub-spring installed specifically for 460 Rowland. I believe my next range trip will include my 20, 22 and 24# recoil springs to try with the Sprinco unit. The recoil spring they include doesn't have a rating but it doesn't feel very stiff. Probably a 17#, I dunno. I don't have a way to test the spring for weight.

But I have a suspicion that the Sprinco unit coupled with a heavier recoil spring will make 45 Super feel like 9MM. I'll keep my fingers crossed anyhow.