Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Atlas Shrugged : The Prophecy Ayn Rand Movie Documentary on Netflix (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434264)

dennis3dflyer 07-26-2012 03:22

Atlas Shrugged : The Prophecy Ayn Rand Movie Documentary on Netflix

The Movie is Called Ayn Rand The Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged.

I'm watching it now. Streaming, Its seems to be Documentary of Movie and its Ideas and Realizations.

Dennis

Toyman 07-26-2012 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis3dflyer (Post 19236860)
...Documentary of Movie...

Really? No Kidding?

quake 07-26-2012 06:51

I saw part 1 of the movie last year or early this year; ended (iirc) with the Wyatt's Torch scene. I wonder if they're ever going to finish it.

Glock Man_G19 07-26-2012 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by quake (Post 19237161)
I saw part 1 of the movie last year or early this year; ended (iirc) with the Wyatt's Torch scene. I wonder if they're ever going to finish it.

Yes and it comes out in October of this year. Great time right before the elections.

http://forums.atlasshruggedmovie.com...ie-forum-beta/

mac66 07-26-2012 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis3dflyer (Post 19236860)
The Movie is Called Ayn Rand The Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged.

I'm watching it now. Streaming, Its seems to be Documentary of Movie and its Ideas and Realizations.

Dennis

I think it is a documentary of the book, not the movie. I love the book, couldn't watch the movie more than 10 minutes or so.

Going to have to take a look at the documentary on netflix

quake 07-26-2012 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 19237540)
I think it is a documentary of the book, not the movie. I love the book, couldn't watch the movie more than 10 minutes or so.

Agree on the movie not being near as good as the book, but maybe people who haven't read the book will watch the movie; that'd be a good thing imo.

PocketProtector 07-26-2012 09:28

Thought the movie was quite good considering the limited funds and limited time they had to produce.....
And Dagny was pretty HOT.

dissthis 07-26-2012 18:31

Part 1 of the movie is available on NetFlix on-line...no additional cost (we have the $7.99 a month deal)

I have it in my queue to watch when I have time...the book drags (at least towards the beginning)

mac66 07-26-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissthis (Post 19239342)
Part 1 of the movie is available on NetFlix on-line...no additional cost (we have the $7.99 a month deal)

I have it in my queue to watch when I have time...the book drags (at least towards the beginning)

Not to mention the 80 or 90 page rant in the middle. I read the book back in the 70's. I've listened to it on audio books a couple times since. You can just FF through the rant if you want.

Interesting how like the book our country is becoming what with "the looters", victimization, political correct speech being enforced, and the rich bailing because of high taxes. The rhetoric is we hear now from the left is so like the book that it is is laughable if it wasn't so sad.

UneasyRider 07-27-2012 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 19237540)

Yes the book was wonderful, if only the movie could have done it justice.

UneasyRider 07-27-2012 20:54

I think of China as "Colorado", the place that you could run too with your business and your money and not be bothered by the Mooches. Sad that I think about it that way because personal freedom has always followed economic freedom, not the other way around.

mac66 07-29-2012 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by UneasyRider (Post 19243439)
I think of China as "Colorado", the place that you could run too with your business and your money and not be bothered by the Mooches. Sad that I think about it that way because personal freedom has always followed economic freedom, not the other way around.

China? As in commie slave labor China?

UneasyRider 07-29-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 19247749)
China? As in commie slave labor China?

China has been on the move in personal freedom as is always the case when you have increased economic freedom.

We on the other hand have been losing our economic freedom and oddly enough we are losing our personal freedom right behind it.

kirgi08 07-29-2012 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by UneasyRider (Post 19247996)
China has been on the move in personal freedom as is always the case when you have increased economic freedom.

False Flag.Window dressing.Not gonna happen.........

We on the other hand have been losing our economic freedom and oddly enough we are losing our personal freedom right behind it.

My friend "our" economic freedom was lost when we decided for the quick "fix".Shoulda let it fall.The quicker you hit rock bottom,the quicker you recover.The fall would have exposed them there folks that done did it.We know what started GM/Dodge crash.Dem dare unions done did it.

Pretty much,Unions went from the "worker" ta a "dues" type bidness,and they prospered.

Then when said "Unions" were "profitable".You know the rest.'08.

UneasyRider 07-29-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirgi08 (Post 19248053)
My friend "our" economic freedom was lost when we decided for the quick "fix".Shoulda let it fall.The quicker you hit rock bottom,the quicker you recover.The fall would have exposed them there folks that done did it.We know what started GM/Dodge crash.Dem dare unions done did it.

Pretty much,Unions went from the "worker" ta a "dues" type bidness,and they prospered.

Then when said "Unions" were "profitable".You know the rest.'08.

Kirgi buddy, it was "Red Tape" and the EPA that killed the American economy and now the liberals will do anything that they have to do in order to keep the ship afloat... until it cracks in two and sinks. They will have us jumping brother.

mac66 07-30-2012 12:53

Watched it....

Back on topic....

I took the time to watch the documentary last night and it is basically about Ayn Rand and how Atlas Shrugged came about, what it says and how it relates today. It is not about the recent movie though it is mentioned as it was being filmed when this doc was being made.

I am going to have to re-read the book again because they point out some stuff in the book about how she envisioned the economic collapse that I forgot about. It is straight on what is happening today.

Not to mention the moochers, the looters, the victimization of groups, collective rights without collective responsibility. Oh yeah, don't forget the hate speech and thought police and excessive government regulation.

If you have never read Atlas Shrugged it will disturb you. It pretty much bashes the Judeo/Christian ethic of altruism as a virtue. On the other hand it is an in your face condemnation of what Rand saw happening to this country way back in the 1950s when it was written. It is also a pretty good novel, though kind of long and dragged out in places in order to make a point.

It is pointed out in the documentary that many people didn't seem to get the message when Rand wrote Fountainhead. She wrote Atas Shrugged so that the point could not be missed or misinterpreted.

Everybody in this country should read this book.

jl1288 08-01-2012 21:45

Just saw the documentary and now I'm looking for a copy of Atlas Shrugged, I'm sure it will be more of an eye opener than the documentary. America has fallen a long way from the ideals it was built on.

quake 10-10-2012 15:04

Fwiw, part two comes out this week.

UneasyRider 10-10-2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl1288 (Post 19261926)
Just saw the documentary and now I'm looking for a copy of Atlas Shrugged, I'm sure it will be more of an eye opener than the documentary. America has fallen a long way from the ideals it was built on.

One of my favorite books of all time. You are going to love it.

PaulMason 10-10-2012 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by quake (Post 19504414)
Fwiw, part two comes out this week.

Is there a 3rd or is this the final?