Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   spare rifle and pistol mag loadout (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438847)

Cochese 08-21-2012 19:20

spare rifle and pistol mag loadout

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Drop-Leg-...-p/hsg.307.htm

I carry three pistol mags and a 20 round pmag on my belt.

In light of the **** shows I've been sent to lately, I want to have more available. Something I can throw on in a hurry. Plate carriers for patrol are not an option.

Anyone use one of these guys?

Hack 08-21-2012 19:29

Looks good. But, I don't have one since I am not on a SORT.

I would probably just load up my pants pockets and bring in a tactical bag of some sort from here at the house. Load that up as well. Keep a bottle of water handy, and some snacks handy, and make sure my insulin pump is topped off, if this is a preplanned event.:)

Cochese 08-21-2012 19:54

This is ammo management only. For not so preplanned activities.

nikerret 08-21-2012 20:25

Are you planning on carrying that all the time or for a quick throw on?

When you say "plate carriers are not an option," do you mean you can't keep a well stocked vest in the car to throw on in a rush? That would be my first choice.

The KHP Turnpike Troopers have a very nice setup with a bail-out-vest. The vest has a ton of mags for the AR (I believe their sidearm mags have spots, too). There are also pockets for other things such as flashlights. It looks like a SWAT vest, but won't hold any plates. It's kickass.

Also, how do you keep a 20 rounder on your belt? Home-made rig?

Kahr_Glockman 08-21-2012 20:26

I think something like that or a maxpedition man bag would be cool

DaBigBR 08-21-2012 21:02

I built a Safariland drop leg rig based on the 6005. The detacahable end goes on the inner belt so as not to interfere with room on the duty belt. Three AR mags go on the rig. It's lighter than the quad subload I had before that. No handgun magazines in there, but it's open top, kydex, no velcro, no straps, etc.

I'll see what I can do about a picture. Not in a position to take one right now.

Ohio Copper 08-21-2012 21:41

I've been pondering the same setup. I'd like a 3 ar mag pouch on a drop leg with maybe a CAT and a couple glow sticks in a pouch. Just something I can grab and carry in my support hand if need be until I can get it slung on. Still searching amazon and such

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Schaffer 08-21-2012 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikerret (Post 19333709)

a guy i work with has a rig that holds his pistol mags and a 20 round rifle mag behind it. Been meaning to ask him about it.

JBUS 08-21-2012 23:26

There's a guy running a 30 rounder horizontal behind his pistol mag pouches on his duty belt.

It just looks really bulky.

I have a SKD PIG with HSGI rifle/pistol tacos/blow out and ESAPI's in the trunk as well as an Orignal SOE Micro rig as well. 4 mags and an IFAK. It can be worn as a chest rig or sling bag like.

Cochese 08-22-2012 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikerret (Post 19333709)
Are you planning on carrying that all the time or for a quick throw on?

When you say "plate carriers are not an option," do you mean you can't keep a well stocked vest in the car to throw on in a rush? That would be my first choice.

The KHP Turnpike Troopers have a very nice setup with a bail-out-vest. The vest has a ton of mags for the AR (I believe their sidearm mags have spots, too). There are also pockets for other things such as flashlights. It looks like a SWAT vest, but won't hold any plates. It's kickass.

Yep, we can't wear external kit like that. Don't ask me why. That's why I sold my swat vest to articulate or I would have kept it.

My AR mag holder is made by COM Holsters. Steve makes one too at ColoradoHolster.com

I wear it on my duty belt. Behind my pistol. I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

Cochese 08-22-2012 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBigBR (Post 19333855)
I built a Safariland drop leg rig based on the 6005. The detacahable end goes on the inner belt so as not to interfere with room on the duty belt. Three AR mags go on the rig. It's lighter than the quad subload I had before that. No handgun magazines in there, but it's open top, kydex, no velcro, no straps, etc.

I'll see what I can do about a picture. Not in a position to take one right now.

I want pics!

pgg00 08-22-2012 02:42

I have a bail out bag next to my rifle loaded with 6 pmags and 6 spare pistol mags. Also has water and granola bars. If I have time I'll grab my tac team vest instead with it's loadout. All depends on what's going on and what I have time for.

My concern with a leg rig like that is being able to run and taking time to attach it. Would a bail out bag be quicker and easier for you instead? While I would say that a vest carrier of some sorts would be best, right now your admin hasn't allowed that to be an option.

DaBigBR 08-22-2012 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgg00 (Post 19334439)
I have a bail out bag next to my rifle loaded with 6 pmags and 6 spare pistol mags. Also has water and granola bars. If I have time I'll grab my tac team vest instead with it's loadout. All depends on what's going on and what I have time for.

My concern with a leg rig like that is being able to run and taking time to attach it. Would a bail out bag be quicker and easier for you instead? While I would say that a vest carrier of some sorts would be best, right now your admin hasn't allowed that to be an option.

I've had good luck with the subload. Clip it to the receiver buckle on my belt, wrap the two straps around my leg and clip the buckles. Done. Properly tensioned straps are no issue for running and it takes about ten seconds to put it on. It also doesn't interfere with your rifle and sling.

socalchuckster 08-22-2012 08:48

I carry a rifle/handgun mag load out thigh mounted rig, I keep the female clip on my underbelt so it doesnt take up room on my duty belt. The pouches are both made by TAG and are great products. The rifle pouch is a 4 mag shingle pack with molle on the outside of it and simple velcro flaps with big tabs that make it easy to pull open. The inside of the shingle pouch has seperate elastic dividers so when you take one mag out the rest of the mags don't bounce around or make noise. On the outside of the shingle pouch I have a TAG tripple enhanced handgun mag pouch, which is their newer design that is open top with magnets sewn into the pouch so it holds the mags in really good. It holds my Glock mags in there nice and secure and even while running or going prone I don't have an issue of the mags comming out. I'm at patrol rifle instructor school now so on my break i'll try to take a picture of it and post it up.

Hack 08-22-2012 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochese (Post 19334321)
I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

Of all the things I have heard of, that is a first for me. How did you manage to get that skill down?:wow:

PinkoCommie 08-22-2012 09:27

My setup is a lot simpler than the kind of gear you would even glance at ;)

I have a Blackhawk rifle bandoleer (http://goo.gl/hznv5) with spare mags, a couple quick-clot sponges and a big compression bandage. Not very "cool", but practical, simple, and inexpensive.

Quote:

I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.
You're... hmm... interesting.

CJStudent 08-22-2012 09:45

Quote:

Yep, we can't wear external kit like that. Don't ask me why. That's why I sold my swat vest to articulate or I would have kept it.

My AR mag holder is made by COM Holsters. Steve makes one too at ColoradoHolster.com

I wear it on my duty belt. Behind my pistol. I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

I always knew you were an odd one.

DaBigBR 08-22-2012 10:22

I know several shooters who shoot long guns opposite their dominant hand. Usually due to the opposite eye being dominant.

bccop 08-22-2012 10:41

Quote:

Vests and helmets are issued with the rifle. :whistling:

Here's my setup. I keep debating on picking up a pistol mag pouch that mounts directly onto the Nexus Fast Mag but heard it sticks out too much. I keep the 20 rounder in the pouch just in case I don't have time to get to my tac vest (with 30 round mags x 2) in the trunk.

I just transitioned from a Safariland 070 to the 6304 2 weeks ago. I do like the new holster. However, it's going to take a while getting used to a new draw and overcoming almost 13 years of muscle memory.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/IMG_0183.jpg

SPDSNYPR 08-22-2012 12:41

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...r,856,1388.htm

I carry one of these in my car. I don't throw it around my shoulder, but rather just snap it around my waist. It works great. Gets in the way of my taser, but it's a tradeoff I can make - if I need this much ammo, I likely am not in taser mode.

Cochese 08-22-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBigBR (Post 19334621)
I've had good luck with the subload. Clip it to the receiver buckle on my belt, wrap the two straps around my leg and clip the buckles. Done. Properly tensioned straps are no issue for running and it takes about ten seconds to put it on. It also doesn't interfere with your rifle and sling.

I like this too.

I don't plan on running the top strap. I only use the lower one anyway. Keeping the receiver buckle on the INNER belt kills my only concern, which was taking up space with one of those in the first place.

:thumbsup:

I wish I hadn't given away my 6004 on the gear thread. :rofl:

Cochese 08-22-2012 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalchuckster (Post 19335021)
I carry a rifle/handgun mag load out thigh mounted rig, I keep the female clip on my underbelt so it doesnt take up room on my duty belt. The pouches are both made by TAG and are great products. The rifle pouch is a 4 mag shingle pack with molle on the outside of it and simple velcro flaps with big tabs that make it easy to pull open. The inside of the shingle pouch has seperate elastic dividers so when you take one mag out the rest of the mags don't bounce around or make noise. On the outside of the shingle pouch I have a TAG tripple enhanced handgun mag pouch, which is their newer design that is open top with magnets sewn into the pouch so it holds the mags in really good. It holds my Glock mags in there nice and secure and even while running or going prone I don't have an issue of the mags comming out. I'm at patrol rifle instructor school now so on my break i'll try to take a picture of it and post it up.

Would love to see a pic. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack (Post 19335048)
Of all the things I have heard of, that is a first for me. How did you manage to get that skill down?

I started off shooting pistol right handed. In the academy, one of the instructors saw me signing in with my LEFT hand and asked me if I was left handed or right handed. He asked why I was shooting right handed then and I told him I didn't really know, it just felt right. He had me switch over to lefty and it's been that way since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkoCommie (Post 19335128)
My setup is a lot simpler than the kind of gear you would even glance at ;)

I have a Blackhawk rifle bandoleer (http://goo.gl/hznv5) with spare mags, a couple quick-clot sponges and a big compression bandage. Not very "cool", but practical, simple, and inexpensive.

You're... hmm... interesting.

O like that a lot too but I think it would get kind of busy around my rifle and that pack. I do like it though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBigBR (Post 19335267)
I know several shooters who shoot long guns opposite their dominant hand. Usually due to the opposite eye being dominant.

Primarily left handed, right eye dominant. I actually shoot "better" with pistol right handed (probably due to the right eye dominance) but I'm just used to it now. As a side effect, I have trained equally on both sides since 2004. Rifle just feels RIGHT shooting on the right side. Left side long gun kinda sucks for me, so I keep it simple.

SUPER fast transitions.

It's also interesting when I attend a shooting school and we have the inevitable "off hand" shooting comps. I always clean up. Instructors are like :wow: when I manage to get through the course left handed and kill thew off hand sections. :supergrin:

Its one of my stupid human tricks, like saying the alphabet in alphabetical order in 20 seconds and clapping one hand. :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bccop (Post 19335323)
Vests and helmets are issued with the rifle. :whistling:

Here's my setup. I keep debating on picking up a pistol mag pouch that mounts directly onto the Nexus Fast Mag but heard it sticks out too much. I keep the 20 rounder in the pouch just in case I don't have time to get to my tac vest (with 30 round mags x 2) in the trunk.

I just transitioned from a Safariland 070 to the 6304 2 weeks ago. I do like the new holster. However, it's going to take a while getting used to a new draw and overcoming almost 13 years of muscle memory.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/IMG_0183.jpg

We don't issue jack squat. I like!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR (Post 19335721)
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...r,856,1388.htm

I carry one of these in my car. I don't throw it around my shoulder, but rather just snap it around my waist. It works great. Gets in the way of my taser, but it's a tradeoff I can make - if I need this much ammo, I likely am not in taser mode.

Another nice option. PS it is good to see you back.

COLOSHOOTR 08-22-2012 15:47

Quote:

Is your plan to use it for normal deployment or just for IARD type stuff?

The reason I ask is we're not allowed to have external vests normally but nobody is going to care if you toss one on when things are going that bad.... I'm not going to ask permission but I'm sure I'll be okay if I have to deploy my vest and won't be canned for it!

On the other hand, now that I broke my Center Mass Patrol Integrated Mag Pouch (AR Mag behind pistol mags) I am looking for something for general use where a plate carrier is not really warranted. So I am interested on what you find here.

Cochese 08-22-2012 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOSHOOTR (Post 19336271)
Is your plan to use it for normal deployment or just for IARD type stuff?

The reason I ask is we're not allowed to have external vests normally but nobody is going to care if you toss one on when things are going that bad.... I'm not going to ask permission but I'm sure I'll be okay if I have to deploy my vest and won't be canned for it!

On the other hand, now that I broke my Center Mass Patrol Integrated Mag Pouch (AR Mag behind pistol mags) I am looking for something for general use where a plate carrier is not really warranted. So I am interested on what you find here.

Basically for SHTF stuff, like Aurora, or armed subject calls with a high degree of chance for gunplay. I think I could certainly get away with it in another Aurora type situation but the issue is carting it back and forth from where I keep all my crap to the car. I have to share a car. Therefore it needs to be discreet or within policy.

This is an old setup, but this is my mag carrier. Made by Center of Mass holsters.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...-34-13_655.jpg

My buddy Steve makes these...

http://www.coloradoholster.com/Color...er/Photos.html

He is a local deputy sheriff and a Glock Talk member. He also only charges $25!

DaBigBR 08-22-2012 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochese (Post 19334323)
I want pics!

Pardon the dreadful phone camera quality. Otterbox Defender has a screen protector for the camera that I really need to remove.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...R15Subload.jpg

I had a BSD Tactical quad subload before this one and found it was on the heavy and loud side with the fourth magazine. I had two MOLLE single pistol mag pouches on that one, but only ever had a flashlight in one of them because I found it heavy as it was and did not like lugging it for more than a half hour.

The Safariland rig with three magazines is light, stays in position better, and is quieter. I have considered making one or even all of the pouches ELS (Equipment Locking System) plates so that I could swap things around. When I carried my Taser in my cargo pocket, the subload prevented me from accessing it, but were I able to quickly remove one magazine and snap in the Taser in a Safariland holster (to maintain compatibility with the ELS system, that wouldn't be too bad. The same could go for additional cuffs, pistol magazines, or anything else.

Total cost to build the rig was right in the $120 range, which is a little steep, but the quality and function are definitely there. All necessary parts can be purchased from CopQuest (really from any Safariland dealer that is willing to order the components, I mention CQ because they have the whole Safariland catalog on their site), with the exception of two T-nuts to attach the strap to the shroud (cheaper to buy this way than a completed shroud). I bought the T-nuts for $0.08/each at a hardware store.

You could also do the one strap shroud to begin with. I prefer the one strap (and DFA belt loop) for a drop leg handgun holster, but prefer the additional support of the two strap with the subload due to the weight and weight distribution of the three AR mags.

If anybody wants a parts list to build their own, I can put one together.